Meeting Boyfriends/Girlfriends Online

Soldato
Balddog said:
Depends...if you go on the net with the intention of finding a girlfriend then its pretty pathetic and sad...but if you just happen to hit it off with someone you talk to online, then theres no probs with it..

well in my town most women are ***** ***** so it was unlikely that Id find a great girl. However, I went online and did find a brilliant girl. That was 2 years ago now and things are going great we're both very happy. :)

Associate
There's all this fuss about the internet being a new mechanism for dating but it's really just an evolution. People use whats available and this happens to be the most convenient / safe way for many people nowadays.

Personally I don't see it being any different to meeting people at a bar except that you can have a proper conversation and not have to deal with drunks.

Associate
Scottie2004 said:
Personally I don't see it being any different to meeting people at a bar except that you can have a proper conversation and not have to deal with drunks.

I dunno, i'm usually fairly wasted when i'm using a computer :D

Soldato
Scottie2004 said:
There's all this fuss about the internet being a new mechanism for dating but it's really just an evolution. People use whats available and this happens to be the most convenient / safe way for many people nowadays.

I dont class MSN as a proper conversation :o maybe its just me.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
There are two sides to this and need to be viewed separately.

1) Actively seeking a partner – this opens you up to a number of risks but no more than say going home with someone after a boozy session in a nightclub. More often than not the biggest risk you face is STIs, accusations of rape, and CSA chapping on your door 10 months later. But with the number of online dating websites it helps you sort the wheat from the chaff just like any other dating agency. People view speed dating as modern and fashionable due to its presence on TV shows and movies.

2) Friendship first – more often than not people end up together when that was not their initial intention. Often people chat with those that they have a bit in common with or those who they hit it off with. The internet allows people to be who they really are but on the flip side it also allows them to be someone completely else. Ultimately they may decide to take things further and this to me seems to be the source of most “Internet” relationship success stories.

Associate
Balddog said:
I dont class MSN as a proper conversation :o maybe its just me.

I spent a year talking to a mate online (one i hadn't met or spoken to irl) and when we eventually spoke over voip and then ultimately met up we knew each other very well - through our personalities, our opinions and a good understanding of each other.

So in general i'd disagree but that isn't to say all msn convo's are like that. However MSN doesn't force you to have a proper conversation either so I can see situations where what you are saying is correct.

Soldato
After being split up from my ex for nearly a year a friend of mine suggested putting my details forward to a online dating site, mainly for a laugh.
For the first couple of months it was just that a laugh, there were some right weirdos on there and most people lived miles and miles away.

But I was just looking through one day and saw a very attractive women who only lived 5 miles from myself.
I sent her a quick email, and we replied a couple of times. I then met up with her for a drink, three months later things are going strong and well.

I dont see there being any problem with meeting someone online, its just the inital ice breaker, and you are still going to meet up in person and go for that first drink/date which would happen if you met someone out in town.

Man of Honour
Balddog said:
Depends...if you go on the net with the intention of finding a girlfriend then its pretty pathetic and sad...but if you just happen to hit it off with someone you talk to online, then theres no probs with it..

Can't agree with that I'm afraid - nothing wrong with people knowing what they want, and to be honest I find the whole "oh, I'm just on those sites for a laugh, tehehe" chirade a bit tiresome sometimes. People who go 'hunting' online are no different from those jazzing themselves up on a Saturday night before going to bars/clubs looking for a partner.

Ironically I started looking online and then met my gf through a friend the 'normal' way. Having seen the success other people have had though, if I were ever to become single again the first thing I'd do would be sign up to a couple of those sites I reckon.

I think the 'net is a great way of making initial social contact with people that would wouldn't otherwise get the opportunity to. You can learn a bit about people rather in a 'safe' environment before moving on to proper dates and the ilk.

I do think however that some people can make more use out of it than others, in terms of the techniques they use, how they phrase things, style of messages, contacting dozens of women in the hope that a couple respond favourably etc.

The only downside I can see is that as the internet is becoming more and more mainstream, the chances of getting more timewasters is also on the increase. By which I mean that with all these free 'community' sites like faceparty and myspace, there's plenty of people just seeking a bit of flirting and attention, who probably aren't serious about wanting to get into a relationship.

Caporegime
Havent really done the online dating thing tbh, although i have tried it a few times but with mixed success. Saying that though my current gf aka soon to be mrs Spawn lol....i met her through a website and that was about a yr ago...still going strong :).

Soldato
It is no different to meeting someone in a nightclub/pub/gathering of friends or whatever. As has been said before it's just a different means of social interaction. The only thing that's different is the distances that can be involved and the chance of meeting people you may never have met before.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

Soldato
[ASSE]Arnie01 (who doesn't post here anymore due to an obsession with Final Fantasy XI) has had two girlfriends - both of them he met online.

He had a four year relationship with a girl from Miami, who he met on Yahoo Messenger. They met up over the holidays etc. However, for Christmas she bought him Final Fantasy XI and this led to the end for them!

He got obsessed and had no time for her due to the game, so he ended it.

About a year on, and he met someone... yes... you guessed it....on Final Fantasy XI :eek:

Rosie from Cambridge. Plays it as much as he does. Good looking girl too. So he can now play that game whenever he wants without being moaned at because she more often than not is playing it at the same time.

Moving in together soon too.

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:
[ASSE]Arnie01 (who doesn't post here anymore due to an obsession with Final Fantasy XI) has had two girlfriends - both of them he met online.

He had a four year relationship with a girl from Miami, who he met on Yahoo Messenger. They met up over the holidays etc. However, for Christmas she bought him Final Fantasy XI and this led to the end for them!

About a year on, and he met someone... yes... you guessed it....on Final Fantasy XI :eek:

Rosie from Cambridge. Plays it as much as he does. Good looking girl too. So he can now play that game whenever he wants without being moaned at because she more often than not is playing it at the same time.

lol, oh dear oh dear.

That is ummm borderline i'd say

Soldato
[ASSE]Hinchy said:

Ha ha, got to respect a man who knows his priorities! :D

Soldato
I like that it lets you meet people with similar interests straight off the bat.

I've done the nightclub/pub thing but wasnt really interested in that kinda lifestyle so meeting a girl who did that kinda thing would not really work for me.

Back
Top Bottom