Associate
Good morning all.

I posted in other threads about this problem. Since then I think i've got further with my troubleshooting and performed a memtest run.

i9-10850k
Gigabyte z490 aurous elite ac mothedboard
4x8gb Patriot ddr4 4400mhz xmp memory.

I bought this hardware a couple days ago and first noticed I had issues formatting drives. So disabled xmp and formatted. I then installed borderlands 3. And the game kept crashing. With or without xmp profiles enabled.

I tried different slots to see if the motherboard or memory was at fault and it appeared that slots a2+B2 worked with xmp. However after last night that wasn't the case.

So today I have some free time on my hands and decided to perform a memtest with all 4 sticks installed. I disabled xmp in the bios.

So far on pass 1 is has bought up 1314 errors. It is currently at 91% through pass one. The test has ran for 55 minutes so far.

Im trying to figure out if the ram is at fault or cpu or possibly even motherboard. I've never had an issue like this with brand new hardware.

Although I know overclockers are very busy. Thier customer service hasn't been very useful this time round. I'm a long time customer of theirs too.

Im not sure how to attach images on this site. So I've uploaded it on a website with a link:

https://ibb.co/KLnxH5X

I am going to test every stick in slot A2. As this is the lane the cpu has access to first and proved more stable in my testing yesterday.

Update. Pass 1 finished with a total of 1314 errors. On pass pass 2 it so far has 5 errors.

I've not used me test before prior this so can some one tell me if there's a way to get a log file that I could upload once all 4 passes have completed?

Finally. My goal is to find out what's the problem with this setup. I would hate to have to send all this hardware back to overclockers.

Just to point out. I have checked the motherboards site. And the specific memory kit I chose is listed on thier support page.

Thanks for any help or insight any one can give

Regards.

Associate
That many errors after just a single run means it's faulty ram so you should ask for an RMA. They might want your screenshot as proof, but that ram is almost certainly what's caused your issues.

Associate
OP
That many errors after just a single run means it's faulty ram so you should ask for an RMA. They might want your screenshot as proof, but that ram is almost certainly what's caused your issues.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I thought it could be ram aswell. But when I was testing yesterday in different slots. The crashes seemed to happen less often. Is there any chance it could be the cpu at fault? Or even motherboard? After all. I ordered 4 sticks. Are all of them likely to have issues?

OK scratch that. On the second pass there is now 110059 errors. It's popped up with a message saying "the test has aborted due to too many errors press any key to continue"

I have taken a picture and uploaded it. Here is the link...

https://ibb.co/CpjzTQT

Hopefully you can see that?

Associate
OP
If you bought it as a set you'll have to RMA the full set. Getting that many errors is a rarity these days.

That's exactly what I thought. Is there any chance it could be the cpu at fault aswell. Some one previously mentioned the cpu memory controller may not be able to handle those speeds. Which i thought explained why it was less like to crash in slots A2 +B2. Hut after running this test today. It doesnt matter what slots are used. There are errors.?

Man of Honour
If you get memory errors at default (2133) then it's the memory. If you want to verify that it can't run at stock, try manually setting 2933 @ 1.35v.

To get that many errors, the memory must be broken. Faulty Intel CPUs are very rare and motherboards are usually broken in other ways.

p.s. be aware you could bork your Windows install if you boot into it with so many errors.

Associate
OP
If you get memory errors at default (2133) then it's the memory. If you want to verify that it can't run at stock, try manually setting 2933 @ 1.35v.

To get that many errors, the memory must be broken. Faulty Intel CPUs are very rare and motherboards are usually broken in other ways.

p.s. be aware you could bork your Windows install if you boot into it with so many errors.

When I performed this test I reset optimised defaults in settings, with no xmp profile running. On my way back home from shopping. I will check the stock speed of the sticks shortly. But those errors were with no xmp profile running.

So standard stock speed is 2133mhz. Profile 1 is 4400 19-19-19-39-69-1.45v. Profile 2 is 4266 19-19-19-39-133-1.35v.

This would explain why when i installed Windows at first it was so buggy. It couldnt find drivers for USB hubs. And Windows updates would fail.

I didnt think much of it at the time, as I know some installations don't go so smoothly. But it explains that.

Im just running the test on stock speeds again to see if anything pops up.

So far I've tested one stick in slot A2 for an hour, And it came up with 2 errors. I am testing the other stick from that kit and so far there are no errors. I am hoping it is just the one stick out of the two kits I bought is faulty. Then I have 3 that work and 1 faulty. After if tested them all. I will leave the 3 sticks in that are appear okay, over night and hope no faults come up. I am testing at xmp 4400.

All sticks are throwing errors. What are the chances of all sticks being faulty, is there no way it could be the cpu/motherboard.

This is a ballache. I waited so long for them to send my order out. Hours on the phone waiting to get through. And now I have to send stuff back to them... How longs that going to take...

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
I'd really recommend you test at 2133, or stock 2933 @ 1.35v, because that rules out an issue with settings or the CPU/board tolerances. I honestly have no idea about these sticks, if it's normal for comet lake, to expect XMPing them @ 4400 to just work out of the box.

Associate
OP
I'd really recommend you test at 2133, or stock 2933 @ 1.35v, because that rules out an issue with settings or the CPU/board tolerances. I honestly have no idea about these sticks, if it's normal for comet lake, to expect XMPing them @ 4400 to just work out of the box.

I can confirm that after running them at 3600mhz it passed 4 tests. I'm still asking for a exchange because I cant run the sticks at thier rated speed. Even though it says on the motherboards list that it supports it. Ive never come across an issue like this before with xmp profiles.

Hopefully overclockers allow me to return the sticks or atleast exchange them.

Man of Honour
I can confirm that after running them at 3600mhz it passed 4 tests. I'm still asking for a exchange because I cant run the sticks at thier rated speed. Even though it says on the motherboards list that it supports it. Ive never come across an issue like this before with xmp profiles.

Hopefully overclockers allow me to return the sticks or atleast exchange them.
This one "PVS416G440C9K" ? It says it supports 2 sticks @ 1.45v, from what I can see, not 4. The highest memory speed it supports (in the QVL) with 4 sticks is 4133. So, I'd let them know it doesn't pass even with XMP on one stick.

Associate
OP
This one "PVS416G440C9K" ? It says it supports 2 sticks @ 1.45v, from what I can see, not 4. The highest memory speed it supports (in the QVL) with 4 sticks is 4133. So, I'd let them know it doesn't pass even with XMP on one stick.

I've tried lots of different ways, no xmp profile on these sticks work regardless of which slot its in. I know hardware compatibility isn't a clear cut straight line. But still. The best I can get to work is 4000mhz on profile 2 which is 4266 profile. I have to reduce the speed which works. I'm wondering if im just limited by the memory controller on the cpu. But I've never had issue running xmp on any platform.... Is there a way to overclock the memory controller?

Yeah I've notified them via we note, although replies seem to be slow. I'll be lucky if i get an email the next day. They do seem to be helpful.

Well I've opened a support ticket, because when I called thier support line. The guy that picked up and spoke to me was very rude and reluctant to help me with the attitude of "its your problem, you fix it"

Man of Honour
I've tried lots of different ways, no xmp profile on these sticks work regardless of which slot its in. I know hardware compatibility isn't a clear cut straight line. But still. The best I can get to work is 4000mhz on profile 2 which is 4266 profile. I have to reduce the speed which works. I'm wondering if im just limited by the memory controller on the cpu. But I've never had issue running xmp on any platform.... Is there a way to overclock the memory controller?

Yeah I've notified them via we note, although replies seem to be slow. I'll be lucky if i get an email the next day. They do seem to be helpful.

Well I've opened a support ticket, because when I called thier support line. The guy that picked up and spoke to me was very rude and reluctant to help me with the attitude of "its your problem, you fix it"

Unfortunately, I can't say if it's a limitation of the memory controller, I did try to find other posts with your CPU (or similar CPU) and 4000+ memory, but I couldn't see any.

You're already overclocking the memory controller when you run the memory at speeds above 2933.

If you can run any speed near 4000 Mhz stable on 4 sticks, I'd consider that reasonable myself, since the highest speed Gigabyte have included in the QVL is 4133.

Associate
OP
Tetras, dont get me wrong, im not complaining with 4000mhz, i am complaining the fact i cant run the xmp speeds when the motherboards website clearly says it can. had i of known that 4000mhz was my limit i wouldnt have bought 4400mhz ram and opted for lower latency 4000mhz or 3800mhz.

Cyber-May, when you say imc, do you mean integrated memory controller ? still the motherboard manufacture lists this ram in its qvl supported list. whether it be 2 sticks or 4 sticks, or even one, it cant run it atall.

Man of Honour
Tetras, dont get me wrong, im not complaining with 4000mhz, i am complaining the fact i cant run the xmp speeds when the motherboards website clearly says it can. had i of known that 4000mhz was my limit i wouldnt have bought 4400mhz ram and opted for lower latency 4000mhz or 3800mhz.

Cyber-May, when you say imc, do you mean integrated memory controller ? still the motherboard manufacture lists this ram in its qvl supported list. whether it be 2 sticks or 4 sticks, or even one, it cant run it atall.

I'm not saying you're wrong to expect the memory to run with 2 sticks at least, but the problem you have, is that without testing other parts, it's hard to say what the issue is. Gigabyte may argue their motherboard is fine, it's the CPU that's the problem, similarly Patriot may say the motherboard, or the CPU is at fault. I don't know what speed 10850Ks are usually capable of, so I can only be general. Being aware of DDR4 and CPU limitations, I would guess that anything over 3200 Mhz (especially if using XMP) has potential for problems, regardless of platform.

Back
Top Bottom