Memory for Ryzen 5000 CPU

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been searching the forums, the Web and YouTube and although I'm finding some answers I end up with more questions.

Can someone with good knowledge of memory please help me understand:

1. Is 3600MHz the sweet spot?
2. I hear CL16 is ideal, especially paired with 3600MHz. Would CL18 be so bad though? (considering difficulties finding memory at the moment)
3. I need 32gb. So, 2 sticks or 4 sticks?
4. Dual or single rank?
5. Hardcore gamers and overclockers will notice these differences, but will someone running everything stock, using CAD programs, notice the difference in timings?
6. Anything else?

I appreciate some of this will be repeated but I'm hoping I can consolidate as much info as possible and hopefully draw out more information from this forum, which has been EXTREMELY helpful so far.

Associate
1: Most would say 3,600 is a sweet spot yes. We can argue 3,800 is that now for Zen 3 but there are other factors as to why 3,600 is better such as availability and the off chance a 1900 FCLK doesn't work.
2: Not really. It's just more of a "lower number = better" in most peoples eyes and the price difference isn't THAT significant to not just get it. The other reason is the C16 (the actual C16 kits not the 16-19-19 ones) are B-Die so if you ever want to go for more performance you can.
3: 2 sticks. You run 2 sticks simply because it's much easier on the memory controller.
4: Dual rank. Better performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NW8cHNrgA

5: I wouldn't think so.
6: So basically every single YouTube video or info you read dictates that 3600C16 32GB Dual rank is what you want. The problem is this basically leaves you having to pay the Samsung B-Die premium. Why? You can't go for Crucial's cheaper offerings because those sticks are actually single rank (or if they are not it's just a gamble as to what shows up).

If you did want to take the gamble the Crucial kits best price was £137.99 to get what you maybe thought you were getting. To actually get what you pay for it's this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-002-8p.html

Now you may be thinking £60 more??? wtf????? When you factor in that you are actually getting what you pay for and with everyone now buying £400 motherboards, £500 CPU and £600+ GPU an extra £60 shouldn't matter in the grand scheme. Not only do you get a decent XMP profile but it will also satisy any overclocking urge. 3600C14 is doable.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don’t have good knowledge or memory but I’m going to have a go at being helpful.

In respect of questions 3 and 4, the current recommendation (from what I gather) is to ideally go for ‘4 ranks’ total. This means either having four sticks of single rank ram or two sticks of dual ranked ram.

Most 8gb sticks are single rank (but not necessarily always). Most 16gb sticks are dual rank (but not always - some people here have bought 16gb sticks assuming then to be dual rank but they then turn out to be single rank). You have to be quite forensic to identify sticks that meet your required spec.

Then, what is better.... four sticks single rank or two sticks dual rank. From what I can gather, four sticks single rank will be less stable when pushed than two sticks dual rank. So the absolute ideal for people wanting the absolute tightest timings is two sticks of dual rank ram.

Soldato
OP
Thank you so much @GregI for that fantastic response. Hopefully I'll have my RAM ordered today and that's my build sorted!
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
I had that exact 8Pack memory kit on order from OCUK but received a refund and no context from them. I see from your link the price has gone down again so I might try once more.

Soldato
OP
Then, what is better.... four sticks single rank or two sticks dual rank. From what I can gather, four sticks single rank will be less stable when pushed than two sticks dual rank. So the absolute ideal for people wanting the absolute tightest timings is two sticks of dual rank ram.

Thanks @Nitefly,
I can imagine when I am coming across videos and articles on "best RAM configurations" they will be designed for those who want to squeeze every bit of performance out of their kit.
I just want my 3D CAD models to load quick and not stutter when I work on them. They can be big models - oil rig, vessel, building, conveyor system etc.
Autodesk just recommend 24GB RAM, that's it. So I assume the single/dual rank may have an affect on my work, but probably not the frequency and latency providing I hit somewhere around 3600-CL18.

I'll likely go for that 8Pack kit again. I sent a message in to OCUK but understandably no response after a few days.

Associate
I had that exact 8Pack memory kit on order from OCUK but received a refund and no context from them. I see from your link the price has gone down again so I might try once more.

Maybe a payment issue? They went on offer Friday around 3-4pm. I ordered at 4:30 and paid with PayPal. They only got sent out last night for delivery today and that was with DPD Next day. Fortunately I have free delivery for being an active forum member or else I would have been annoyed at the wait. They must be insanely busy right now.

Soldato
OP
Maybe a payment issue? They went on offer Friday around 3-4pm. I ordered at 4:30 and paid with PayPal. They only got sent out last night for delivery today and that was with DPD Next day. Fortunately I have free delivery for being an active forum member or else I would have been annoyed at the wait. They must be insanely busy right now.

Quite possibly. I used Amazon Pay. Have tried again and will see how it goes. I did RMA another order so I reckon someone got mixed up and cancelled the wrong order. Understandable of course, they are snowed under.

Back
Top Bottom