Memory not showing dual channel?

Associate
Clown said:
And yeah, it's really hilarious calling people idiots.

I didnt.

and i'm only suggesting that match pairs guarantee compatability, i have always been under the impression that the two sticks of RAM have to be as similar as say... a crossfire or sli setup with two of the same card. There are no dual channels sticks... its right that the mobo enables this, still needs the identical RAM though to work.

EDIT:
Fitting to a Deluxe model, ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe functionality is exhaustive. We can complain only about having to install some ports on the front panel, as the rear panel cannot accommodate all connectors. Memory slots are divided by channels in a relatively rare way: to enable dual channel mode, two memory modules should be installed into next but one slots, not into neighboring slots (it's good for ventilation they say). If you by any chance install both memory modules into the slots of the same channel, the motherboard will no start up — this mode is not supported, which is noted in the documentation.

Is that what you mean? http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/mainboard/asus-a8n32-sli-deluxe-nforce4slix16.html

Last edited:
Soldato
The idiot thing was regarding some posts further up. And you don't need matched pair RAM for dual channel to work.

Edit: Sort of, yeah. I installed the RAM into both the blue slots in that picture, but dual channel won't work. I think what they mean about memory in the same channel, is if you put a stick in the blue and black slots right next to each other.

Last edited:
Associate
hmmm... well if it was me i'd always buy matched pairs... just as they are guaranteed to be compatible, whether im just buying into speil remains to be proved either way i guess. If i am wrong (very possible lol) then i wont be buying matched pairs on that basis in future.

What RAM are you using?

Soldato
I just had a look and both my sticks have the same stickers.
What does this mean? Also, neither of them will run in dual channel mode now (on their own). Is it the RAM or the motherboard's fault?

Associate
OP
wicked thanks a lot dude, i will run memtest on the sticks and post back! only weird thing is the RAM does show up as 1024, just not dual channel, so i thought the mobo would be ok, but anyway thanks

Soldato
monkeypants said:
Personally I can't think of anything without knowing the numbers on each stick. Post them when you get them out.
Serial numbers won't make a difference from my own experience. Upgraded to Socket 939 awhile back & ordered the exact same number stick from Crucial to match a 512MB stick I already had & they could not work at all in Dual Channel Mode. Crucial told me I have to order a pair of sticks which they themselves have certified as matched!

& whateva you think, Single channel sucks - Dual is what makes A64 fly & the benchmarks are there to prove it (especially the huge performance gap between the 2) :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom