Memory speed is slow

Associate
Hi,

I just bought 32gb 3200mhz Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force and 1 of the memory sticks is running at below 3000mhz and the other is running at 3200mhz. Why is this? Is there something I need to enable to get the full speed or is it dodgy ram?

Associate
OP
OK It looks like the memory that Overclock sent me/sold me was for single channel not dual channel. To confirmed I have the code to prove it is single not dual. TLZGD432G3200HC16CDC01 and confirmed on the msi website.

Associate
OK It looks like the memory that Overclock sent me/sold me was for single channel not dual channel. To confirmed I have the code to prove it is single not dual. TLZGD432G3200HC16CDC01 and confirmed on the msi website.

?

Have you put it in the correct slots?

Slot 2 and slot 4 usually.

Man of Honour
As far as I'm aware if you use diffrent speed memory the motherboard will downclock all the memory to the lowest speed.

Can't see how one run at 3200mhz and one at 3000mnz

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So yes i put it in the correct channels
and i bought 3200mhz 32gb ram
i looked up the code that is at the back on the msi website which is my motherboard and it turns out that they are for single not dual!

Soldato
So yes i put it in the correct channels
and i bought 3200mhz 32gb ram
i looked up the code that is at the back on the msi website which is my motherboard and it turns out that they are for single not dual!

What motherboard are you running and what software are you using to verify your RAM speed?

Associate
OP
My motherboard is B450M PRO-VDH MAX. On the compapatable list the memory that i bought is listed as single not dual memory. i was using speccy and i looked in my bios for the speed.

Don

That confirms nothing - Teamgroup's spec sheet list that part code as being for a dual channel kit.
https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/catalog/act.php?act=2&index_id=152

(Likely all MSI have done is used a single stick from that kit when doing memory validation testing)

Associate

All memory can run in single or dual channel, dependent on if you have odd or even number of modules.

Download CPU-Z and look on the memory tab.

Channel # will show single or dual channel.

Man of Honour
My motherboard is B450M PRO-VDH MAX. On the compapatable list the memory that i bought is listed as single not dual memory. i was using speccy and i looked in my bios for the speed.

That's not single/dual channel it's actually single/dual sided meaning that the chips are all on one side or on both sides. It usually makes little or no difference to compatibility. The memory compatibility lists are never updated as it would be impossible for them to test every combination.

Your sticks need to be in slots DimmA2 and DimmB2 which is slots 2 and 4 counting outwards from the CPU. You then need to go into the bios and select the correct XMP profile. It may also be worth updating the bios the latest of which is 7A38vB7 dated 16th June 2020. It is especially important to keep up with bios updates on Ryzen boards as there have been many performance increases and compatibility fixes. If you do update the bios DO NOT use Live Update. Download the bios to a USB stick and use the tool in the actual bios to flash.

Back
Top Bottom