Memory timings

Associate
Hello

This is my first post in this forum so please bear with me...

I have posted at the DFI-Street forum.

Firstly: How would i attach screen images or benchmarks?

I have been oc'ing my RAM and have got to 280 mhz on a 1:1 ratio
my memory allows me to run at 200 @ 2-2-2-5 1T
and @ 280 its set currently to 2.5-3-3-10

A. Is there any benefit on an NF4 system of running memory faster?
B. Is there a benefit if the timings are tighter when running higher eg. 250 @ 2-2-3-5 or something or
C. Should I just keep the memory @ 200 with 2-2-2-5 or better???

I do a lot of Photoshop work and the occassional premiere and afterfx stuff... I have no interest or time for games.

Thanks

Associate
I don't think you can attach screenshots to posts, but feel free to upload them to webspace and link to them.

A) A64 memory controller prefers lower latency over higher FSB. There is some benefit over raising the FSB(HTT in A64 speak) but there won't be significant performance increase unlike the P4 (which prefers higher FSB)

B & C) The best thing is trial and error. Try and find a sweet spot (perhaps 240 @ 2-3-2-6 or something) which is a balance between the two but make sure that timings get priority.

Another point to note is don't worry about running 1:1. A64 has no performance decrease from running a mem divider (this is since the memory is always running a divider even if you are at 1:1). So make sure you push the CPU as far as it will grow and then play with dividers to set your memory at a nice sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom