memtest screenshots - help? problem?

Soldato
Oh! Also, are you flashing the BIOS correctly.

You need to,

1. Reset Defaults.
2. Reboot
3. Unplug Power
4. Clear CMOS for 60sec
5. Plug in Power
6. Reboot
7. Load Defaults
8. Flash BIOS
9. Reboot
10. Unplug Power
11. Clear CMOS for 60sec
12. Plug in Power
13. Load Defaults.

DONE! :D

Soldato
I think issues with running 1T often give memtest #8 errors. Try with 2T as a matter of interest, but of course that isnt a good solution for performance, depending on what apps you run

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
ive tried the beta bios, its no better, infact it posts less than the official one, and the errors are still there. i also tried to overclock the cpu and it wont have it in the slightest. just ends up not posting, and having to clear cmos again.

i dont actually think its just the memory, i think its got something to do with the motherboard after that shutdown that occured that i described earlier, maybe the memory controller or cpu went, which is why i can run it one single stick alone, but not dual channel... (but if it was the cpu then why can i stress prime for a long time with no problems, play games, and do everything normally(except at 1gb)?) (however not overclock - it wont have that regardless of what ram combination i have in...)

the most common LED display now is either it will fully post=no LEDs, or it will leave 3 LEDs on, which is the diagnostic combo for Memory Load failure..

in answer to trying 3-3-3-8, yes i tried that too. and memtested it. but i will repeat with this bios. i will also have a go underclocking the ram..

what i dont want to do, is buy new memory and then find out it was the motherboard/cpu..

if i can get hold of my friends socket939 mobo and his cpu/ram etc. then i can test out each thing individually and try and pinpoint whats faulty... but that wont be possible untill the middle of next week.. (if at all)

Last edited:
Soldato
b4z said:
ive tried the beta bios, its no better, infact it posts less than the official one, and the errors are still there. i also tried to overclock the cpu and it wont have it in the slightest. just ends up not posting, and having to clear cmos again.

i dont actually think its just the memory, i think its got something to do with the motherboard after that shutdown that occured that i described earlier, maybe the memory controller or cpu went, which is why i can run it one single stick alone, but not dual channel... (but if it was the cpu then why can i stress prime for a long time with no problems, play games, and do everything normally(except at 1gb)?) (however not overclock - it wont have that regardless of what ram combination i have in...)

the most common LED display now is either it will fully post=no LEDs, or it will leave 3 LEDs on, which is the diagnostic combo for Memory Load failure..

in answer to trying 3-3-3-8, yes i tried that too. and memtested it. but i will repeat with this bios. i will also have a go underclocking the ram..

what i dont want to do, is buy new memory and then find out it was the motherboard/cpu..

if i can get hold of my friends socket939 mobo and his cpu/ram etc. then i can test out each thing individually and try and pinpoint whats faulty... but that wont be possible untill the middle of next week.. (if at all)

Sounds like a game plan that to me. Good luck! :)

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
ran memtest on both sticks invidually at 3-3-3-8 both were fine, no errors

now im doing a memtest with both of them in there (DIMM2+4) at the same timings as above...

lets see what happens... probably the exact same as before..

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
yup failed on test8 giving me errors all over the show

nothing i can do for the moment, will just have to wait untill i can get my hands on another 939 cpu/mobo and some similar ram... so i can eliminate the suspects

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
if the cpu was faulty in any way would this be possible? (i ran it overnight... totally stable...)

stress-prime.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
b4z said:
yes, one stick in DIMM2

everything at stock

Hmm it could still have a duff memory controller I guess like, but obviosuly you've ran that test with 1xDIMM, which, we know to be fine. It's 2xDIMMS when the system falls over, tbh I doubt its the CPU to blame mate. ;) Imo it has to be the mobo or ram. But don't hold me to that! :p

But as to why its happened and won't go away, that's a thinker! :confused: Almost enough to make me take up drinking in the middle of the day. :p

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
my gut feeling is its either the motherboard (75%) or possibly the cpu (25%)

not right now, i will have to wait for my friend to come back from uni before im able to get my hands on another test bed (939 mobo, 2gb of different ram, and a 939 cpu) :(

btw, forgot to thank you for helping me, those who have contributed. :)

im going to wipe the hdd and make a clean install of windows, then try and boot into that with 2gb in... since it reboots just before getting into windows it could possibly be a driver problem, although i heavily doubt it, have to negate all the possibilities though.

Last edited:
Associate
Try the other stick see if that can run stable overnight. If it's running stable on both sticks then I'd say it's more than likely to be the CPU memory controller. Also try to run both sticks together in single chanel. Also did you buy the cou new or second? If the latter you're much more likely to have a dud memory controller (people often offload them without mentioning it).

Soldato
utherpendragon said:
Try the other stick see if that can run stable overnight. If it's running stable on both sticks then I'd say it's more than likely to be the CPU memory controller. Also try to run both sticks together in single chanel. Also did you buy the cou new or second? If the latter you're much more likely to have a dud memory controller (people often offload them without mentioning it).
If its a retail version, maybe worth sending it back via the 3 year guarantee? Thats if it is the memory controller - not sure how long you wait etc, maybe someone has done an RMA on a CPU?

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
it is a retail version cpu, bought new, and i think i still may have the receipt somewhere... (as i say though, its been running fine for over a year on various levels both stock and overclocked, btw does that void the warranty?)

i will run the other stick on stress prime tonight, to negate that from the list.

and also, how do i set it so they run together but not in dual channel? (noob question)

i also tried putting them in DIMM1+2 (one in orange slot and one in yellow slot) and it wouldnt post

Last edited:

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
i tried the other memory stick over night, like suggested, ran perfectly for 7 hours+

so what do we think is the problem gentlemen? :)

because im veering of the idea that theres anything wrong with the memory, i think its gotta be the cpu mem controller or something on the motherboard

Last edited:
Soldato
b4z said:
i also tried putting them in DIMM1+2 (one in orange slot and one in yellow slot) and it wouldnt post

That's how you get single channel iirc. So good guess. :) But that's not working either. I'm going out on a limb and saying mobo. I'm sure DFI + Corsair don't work *well* together. I'm sure G.Skill is recommended for this mobo though.

Does this link work for you?

http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37010

b4z

b4z

Associate
OP
i have my friends pc here now, i ran my 2 sticks in memtest in his pc - no errors at all.

so its definately not the ram (which is a relief).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom