Mens' Brogues in fashion?

Man of Honour
Brown shoes with black / charcoal suit is not acceptable.

agreed, no better way to out yourself as a pleb than a grey suit and a pair of (probably too pointy) brown shoes

No brown in town (although I don't actually subscribe to that and it is referring to shoes not a racial slur!)

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Disagree. They have to be the right pair of brown shoes though I'll give you that.

Harking back to an earlier point:

Brown shoes with black / charcoal suit is not acceptable.

Black suits are never, ever acceptable unless you are James Bond/ going to a funeral.

Permabanned
Any particular reason?

It's a thing. My gramps always used to harp on about it and he was a gentleman of sartorial excellence. I think it's because brown and other earthen tones tend to be countryside colours, not suited for gentlemen in the city. Much the same as one wouldn't wear button down collars, Harris tweed or Hunter wellingtons.

This may not be the actual reason behind it though, so if somebody knows the reason I'd be happy to hear it.

Man of Honour
It's a thing. My gramps always used to harp on about it and he was a gentleman of sartorial excellence. I think it's because brown and other earthen tones tend to be countryside colours, not suited for gentlemen in the city. Much the same as one wouldn't wear button down collars, Harris tweed or Hunter wellingtons.

This may not be the actual reason behind it though, so if somebody knows the reason I'd be happy to hear it.

nail head

Brown shoes/brogues are wonderful things, I have a lovely pair of tricker's country brogue boots with a sole you could club a transgender troll to death with (joking, that doesn't make me 47 if any feds are watching) and a beautiful pair of slip on Church's chestnut full brogues but neither should go anywhere near a suit. That said I do wear them in town but only with jeans, moleskins or whatever. I am a complete shoe whore I'm afraid.

Associate
expensive shoes on a whole are in fashion, probably down to celebs being pictured in them with tight or rolled up bottoms that show them off, which is good for me as i work for cheaney shoes :)

Back
Top Bottom