Mens' Brogues in fashion?

Associate
Never liked the whole morning suit thing. Just makes you look like an undertaker.

Still, I would never take fashion advice off this forum. Ever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry? what?

As has already been said, they usually don't come with any grip whatsoever so you'll be slipping all over the place if you don't spend a few minutes wearing them down.

And on the colour topic, all my shoes are brown! Wear them with jeans every day and also with a light grey suit. This is for meetings and weddings etc.

Permabanned
Funnily enough, brown shoes and single-coloured suits experienced a growing popularity for a while after 2007 because it wasn't cricket to be seen in the standard issue pinstripe suit, blue shirt and yellow tie. The pervasive hang-a-banker sentiment was a notable driver of City fashion.

With that in mind, I work in financial services and I'd never wear any of my pairs of brown shoes, brogues or otherwise, with a suit unless in Herts, Beds or Bucks. ;)

Associate
All brogues look dreadful, be it £100+ Robbie G specials or the 'safety' ones we can get in work from the workwear catalogue.

I'd rather go barefoot.

Soldato
nail head

Brown shoes/brogues are wonderful things, I have ... a beautiful pair of slip on Church's chestnut full brogues but neither should go anywhere near a suit. That said I do wear them in town but only with jeans, moleskins or whatever. I am a complete shoe whore I'm afraid.

Like you said, it can totally depend on brand as well. I think Church's Nevada Ebony is a perfectly suitable colour to be worn with a dark suit, but I'd probably stick to dark blue... not grey!

daz

daz

Soldato
These have much more of a worn 'patina' now (picture taken about 18 months ago)

1295598254.jpg

If you are going to be wearing proper shoes, make sure you take care of them. Polish and condition the leather and for god's sake use shoe trees!

Man of Honour
Sorry what?

Brown looks very good with a lot! Rather, make sure you have NICE brown shoes!

it's an old saying about brown shoes and working environments (particularly London because presumably people don't wear suits in mines or on farms)

Beyond brogues I am currently liking some blue suede desert boots but my favourite shoes are a lovely pair of slip on john lobb and a pair of black whole cut edward green shoes, both of which I've had for years. Unfortunately my budget for sartorial treats has plummeted somewhat since banging out the kids :p

Soldato
Not wearing brown in town is a idea that went out with the bowler hat and the three day week. The thinking being that you don't wear your weekend or country clothing during the working week. However, as seldom few wear suits at the weekend it's perfectly acceptable to wear a well tailored brown suit to the office.

Nowadays you wouldn't wear jeans or chinos to the office if standards dictated you should wear something more businesslike. The rule is outdated but the principle of dressing for the situation remains the same.

FWIW I'm wearing brown tweed trousers and brown shoes, and I work in an office full of 'suits'.

What is it with really shiny suits at the moment. If anything should be frowned upon its wearing something that looks like it's been created with early 90s CGI.

Associate
You get curled up toes on the shoe and the shoe loses its shape.

Ah I see, I'm not a fan of pointy shoes, so I think I'm OK. A guy tried to sell them to me when I bought my last pair but I didn't see the point.

I have one pair of brogues, but I only wear them occasionally, as I find them a bit pretentious unless you work in the financial sector, as mostly the City crowd seem to wear them. Generally I wear black shoes to work.

Back
Top Bottom