Mental health concerns in reality TV shows

Soldato
You have to be mental to appear on this stuff.

People have lost the plot, head down and get on with life.

Its like Facebook just why in the world would you want to publish your life to people??

Also why are people interested in what you do?

Crazy times that's for sure.

It's a desire for fame and money that makes people do this kind of thing, nothing to do with being 'mental'.

As for Facebook, it's a great tool for staying in touch with our friend's lives and families, however, you get those that overshare. "ooo look at me drinking a coffee on a bus" etc

We've announced both our pregnancies via Facebook, because we wanted our friends to know. It's a tool, it can be a great tool or a **** tool depending on who is using it and for what.

Man of Honour
Just had a look at all your threads op and it seems to me you need to get a hobby, I'd be more concerned about your mental health, looks like you're constantly looking for problems that shouldn't be an issue to yourself.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Everyone going onto these reality TV shows knows what they are all about and if they choose to humiliate themselves for others enjoyment then so be it. Most of the people that go on these shows are vacuous, shallow and massively self obsessed and want fame at all costs. They are the equivalent of the kid who would eat anything at school for some attention. I do think they are a bit dangerous for some of these people but that is because they are unstable in the first place. If you can have your heart broken after knowing someone for 3 days then you need to reassess your priorities in life. To a lot of these people they are obsessed with something that is either never going to happen or will be fleeting if it does. Its the equivalent of a young lad that thinks he is going to be the next Ronaldo and doesn't bother with school or anything and suddenly has to deal with life outside football when he isn't good enough come 16.

Man of Honour
You'd have to be mental to watch this stuff?

I presumed that was what the OP meant, he was concerned about the mental state of those who willingly watched this garbage.

I dont know about love island but I saw a filming of xfactor once during the show you are not alowed to do anything but cheer and be supportive (boo etc and you'll be thrown out).

All the shocked reactions etc we filmed befote the acts arrived on stage.

So any point to see the crowd reacting badly that's purely editing. The crowd always cheers

Apparently you’re not allowed to use punctuation marks either.

Man of Honour
Whine more

It wasn't a whine, I could care less if you want to display your contempt for written english, I was trying to point out that when punctuation marks are used, a post is easier to read and understand.
A stream of words, uninterrupted by a comma, apostrophe, of full stop, is likely to make some people inclined to ignore that post, and move on to something legible.

Soldato
It wasn't a whine, I could care less* if you want to display your contempt for written english, I was trying to point out that when punctuation marks are used, a post is easier to read and understand.
A stream of words, uninterrupted by a comma, apostrophe, of full stop, is likely to make some people inclined to ignore that post, and move on to something legible.

*Couldn’t care less. ;)

Soldato
Exploitation basically, these programs are cheap to make as they write themselves. Pick the right kind of people and place them into an artificial environment the programme makers can manipulate and you have instant car crash TV.

I used to take the argument that "well the contestants bring it on themselves". But I'm not sure anymore, there is a lot more going on than just that and if you step further back it's more complex. I don't know that any good actually comes from this kind of entertainment on any level. For the viewer it's simple low grade titillation, but worryingly it also takes a completely fake narrative and presents it as "real life" thus normalising this kind of "drama" in the minds of the populous.

It's hard not to feel the signs are all around us that we are in the last days of Rome. I feel a conservative backlash is growing and as the West becomes more Islamic I think we will see a drawing back from all of this. I doubt you will see any Muslim girls on Love Island any time soon.

Soldato
The way I have always seen it it is that back in the 70's it was perfectly fine to ridicule social and even racial stereotypes for the purposes of entertainment.

Nowadays this is considered "Offensive" so now, in order to get the feeling of schadenfreude that is the fundamental core of all the best entertainment ;), we have to ridicule and humiliate real people.

It is a nasty change!

60's and 70's entertainment was far more humane....!

Man of Honour
Many of these utter garbage 'fakeality' programs have their foundations in the instability of the people in them. I never watch any of them for I know clearly what they are and who they are aimed at. Escapism my arse, utter garbage the lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom