1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mercedes ML uneven tyre wear

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Matt82, 8 Mar 2010.

1. Matt82

Capodecina

they wear unevenly. shes been to a couple places and theyd said "theyre all like that". i know the normal answer is "four wheel alignment" to make them wear evenly but does anyone know on large 4x4s like that whether uneven tyre wear is just normal?

ie bald shoulders on the front

i would ask an MB board but i cant see them being too knowledgable, so let me know what you think

2. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You dont think a board dedicated to Mercedes would be knowledgeable on the tyre wear traits of a Mercedes?

Seriously?

3. DM

PermaBanned

My car goes through front tyres in a horrible way on the inner shoulders, a lot of big heavy 4x4's do.

I had it aligned several times on a Hunter machine, i have no worn suspension, now i just suck it up.

4. Muncher

Soldato

All uneven tyre wear can be avoided by adjusting the suspension geometry, not necessarily to the manufacturer's specification.

5. TomO

Mobster

depends on the manufacturer specs as said above. it seems my E55 estate has quite a bit of camber and the previous tyres wore badly on the inside edge.

6. Sin_Chase

Capodecina

My geometry "promotes" more inside tyre wear.

Corner harder :D

7. Matt82

Capodecina

see i have 2.5* camber on the front of the golf which is a fair bit basically. i get no wear on the inner edges. its dodgy toe angles that kill the edges in my experience.

8. monkey_boy

Wise Guy

It's the same on my father-in-law's ML. Also, it's done 25k miles and could already do with a new set of tyres. The front's are affected by uneven wear the worst though.

9. jamief

Soldato

No, you're much better asking in a generic motoring forum, there is much more MB knowledge here.... :rolleyes:

10. Matt82

Capodecina

have you had a look on the mercedes boards? absolutely useless

11. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Isn't 25k from a set of tyres good then? I'd be over the moon if I got so many miles out of my tyres :)

12. Peerzy

Soldato

I appear to have gone through a set of front tyres in about 14k on my car :eek:

13. ethos

Mobster

My last set of F1s lasted 6k on the front, count yourself lucky.

14. Peerzy

Soldato

I have a 1.4l Fiat though :rolleyes:

15. fonzee

Soldato

and? 14k is still a fair whack of mileage on any car these days, i rarely get that on my fez!