Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct (New Album)

Man of Honour
Very happy to see this has been announced - new single released also.

Not sure what to make of the new single - thrash riff feels very 'Kill Em All' but the chorus is a bit naff. Will see how it grows on me!

Is it too much to ask for AJFA 2? :p :(

Associate
Love their earlier stuff, still listen to them most days!

Load and Reload were a bit poor and I have no idea what they were thinking with St. Anger and Death Magnetic, couldn't even listen to those last two!

Hope this is a better effort.

Associate
Finally - the long awaited new album at last! :)

Listened to the new song last night, initial impressions was that it sounds a bit like Kill Em' All / Death Magnetic joined together but I like the riff and the pace of the song - I agree though the lyrics did seem a bit weak but I imagine they'll grow on me in time.

Going back to the music itself, it's refreshing to hear that they've picked up the pace again and that it seems their reverting back to their roots in someway.

The album cover is somewhat interesting but at the same time mildly simple, though there is something else to it that I can't put my finger on at the moment - perhaps I'll have a better understanding of it once I've listened to the full album.

A very fascinating track listing indeed, I'll be looking forward to giving this album a good listen upon it being released. Has anyone else noticed that their is no Lords Of The Summer on the album as well? Looks like they've dropped it completely.

Liam.

Man of Honour
OP
I think Lords of Summer is included on the bonus disk together with what looks like a bunch of demos.

Lyrics are unfortunately not sounding any better yet but I'm holding hope that I'll accept them in time!

As for thrash, there was plenty of fast paced riffing on Death Magentic, but I could never listen to it for very long because it just gave me earache / ear fatigue - something with that drum track euuurgh!

Associate
I think Lords of Summer is included on the bonus disk together with what looks like a bunch of demos.

Lyrics are unfortunately not sounding any better yet but I'm holding hope that I'll accept them in time!

As for thrash, there was plenty of fast paced riffing on Death Magentic, but I could never listen to it for very long because it just gave me earache / ear fatigue - something with that drum track euuurgh!

Ahhh I've just noticed that elsewhere regarding the bonus disk containing the demo tracks.

One thing to also point out is that the drums on this new track do sound better when compared to Death Magnetic, but still - the worst drums of them all was without a doubt St. Anger, that is one record I religiously avoid solely for this reason.

Liam.

Man of Honour
OP
Ahhh I've just noticed that elsewhere regarding the bonus disk containing the demo tracks.

One thing to also point out is that the drums on this new track do sound better when compared to Death Magnetic, but still - the worst drums of them all was without a doubt St. Anger, that is one record I religiously avoid solely for this reason.

Liam.

I think the St. Anger drums is a taste thing. The clanging is annoying to some but 'raw' to others. That said, the rattling at the start of 'Some Kind of Monster' is absolutely unforgivable.

The drums on Death Magnetic are just mixed terribly though - the start of The Day That Never Comes... Wtf is going on there!!!

Man of Honour
OP
As a side note, I've been doing various sonic experimentations to try and nail some of their tones on guitar. It's clear there is a lot of studio trickery / multi layering / compression going on with AJFA and the Black Album (guitar tones are way similar than people think - just mixed differently). Master of Puppets is easier to get close to IMO.

Associate
As a side note, I've been doing various sonic experimentations to try and nail some of their tones on guitar. It's clear there is a lot of studio trickery / multi layering / compression going on with AJFA and the Black Album (guitar tones are way similar than people think - just mixed differently). Master of Puppets is easier to get close to IMO.

Admittedly when it comes to listing to AJFA, I always listen to the "...And Justice for Jason" version on YouTube because of the mixing situation that surrounds the original AJFA record (particularly the lack of bass).

I have no complaints with the production of The Black Album at all, but if anything I do like a good listen to the Eb tuning of the tracks on YouTube - the same goes for Master Of Puppets too.

Liam.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
By lack of bass, do you mean lack of bass guitar? There is bass on AJFA but it's mostly drowned out by guitar. Blackened seems to flub out my speakers very quickly when the volume goes up!

Yeah I have heard AJFJ but it sounds odd / too much bass guitar compared to the originals.

It's interesting hearing the guitar only tracks on YouTube as well :)

Man of Honour
I tell you what fascinates me about a thread like this, I'm 58 and was 25 when I first heard Kill Em All but I'm sure some of you weren't even born when they came out.
It's a little bit like me discussing Glen Miller :D

It's nice to see so many young people into an old fart band.

Soldato
I tell you what fascinates me about a thread like this, I'm 58 and was 25 when I first heard Kill Em All but I'm sure some of you weren't even born when they came out.
It's a little bit like me discussing Glen Miller :D

It's nice to see so many young people into an old fart band.

Well Metallica are still the biggest Metal band going other than Maiden so they are pretty much the "go to band" for people getting into metal i would say.

Soldato
Hmmmmmm, not sure TBH, not sure.

As silly as it sounds to say it doesn't sound musically "complicated" enough to really sound great, there's no real hook or great riff. In fact my favourite part was the "bouncy" version of the riff in the last 10 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom