Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct (New Album)

Associate
Just pre-ordered the album and with a free prime trial should be here tomorrow. :)

I really hope they give UK tour dates tomorrow too.

Loving all the videos to \m/

J.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I don't know... I think you're getting overexcited a bit, it's definitely the best out of "pile of garbage" era in their career, but not even close to the "thrash" era.

I also realised, just how glorious some of those tracks would be, if James decided to sing with his old, grown up "Outlaw Torn" voice, rather this weird "Beavies mocking Dave Mustaine" garage squeek he does for the past three or four records. And then there is the structure:

Take "Now That We're Dead" - good riff, good 'tallica harmonies, but there is no scenario where this song, if it happened to be released between Ride The Lightening and Black Album, wouldn't switch after 3.30 minutes to some sort of structured emotional instrumental, with multi layered solos, several superb drum syncopes and disciplined arpeggios every beginning drummer and guitarist would learn for decades to come. The entire intrasections of songs with sonic effects to underline the drama - with The Master laughing at you and you begging him "Noooo" through the skin ripping lashes of riffs, and that one second of tumbleweed silence once you "took a look to the skies just before you die", for it was "the last time" we would have, before darkness came, and the scared kid's prayer before the bed time nightmare, and all of that just to return by the end of its run as a cannonade of duelling riffs with glorious ending, that you can close your eyes and immediately imagine live, ending with a blast of fireworks, a superb drum paradiddle and then a single note group outro, short and precise like a gun shot, with cloud of smoke and lights out and several millions of people on the pitch just going LOOOUD for it is the show of their lifetime.

Instead, today, the songs will go on like a broken record, almost structurally unchanged, double the standard radio air time, drumming in its whack-boom-whack-boom-boom marching band simplicity until you are sick of it, and you no longer care what happens in 15th verse and already stopped the in-car sing along 6 choruses ago and they still do it twice more just to murder it for you from all the angles like a CSI episode. As if they wanted to cheat 70 minute playback time by stretching 8 vinyl songs to twice their length with just "one and a half minutes of umpa-umpa-umpa before vocals, one and a half minutes of umpa-umpa-umpa in the middle, thirty seconds of umpa-umpas at the end, then you scream random "motherloverzzzz-a" shtick in the live version and out. Done.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic stuff, every song so far is Metallica doing what they do best, love it !

Releasing the album all with full videos is another 'Tallica masterstroke, they never cease to impress.

Soldato
I could end up playing this album more than Master Of Puppets, it's that good.

I'm with you there. Simply cannot get enough... every time I listen to a song, I hear something else that make my nipples go hard :p

I don't know... snip
I'm just not this kind of music listener, I don;t analyse everything and just let it speak to my emotions. Fair enough, many more musically educated / purist (or whatever the word for it) listen in a completely different way as I do, but such is the beauty of music :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm just not this kind of music listener, I don;t analyse everything and just let it speak to my emotions. Fair enough, many more musically educated / purist (or whatever the word for it) listen in a completely different way as I do, but such is the beauty of music :)

Looked like he pulled it from a know it all music critic on a rock website who write in mumbo jumbo and try to be clever.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Looked like he pulled it from a know it all music critic on a rock website who write in mumbo jumbo and try to be clever.

No old man. All mine. I was just trying to have a conversation via forum - you know - the media where written word is the only communication tool. :smartypantsemoji: :o I'm sorry if I misjudged the audience. :doublerolleyeswithawinky: That's how we talk in Kent (wait for it) in full sentences #yeahIsaidit #ohsnapUdi'nt :D

It roughly translates to "it's like... aaaam... cool, but James sounds like a pimply kid, the songs go on forever without any changes, Lars is rumbling on like a drum machine on timer and the whole **** sounds nuthing like Master Of Puppets, those were the days, innit?".

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It roughly translates to "it's like... aaaam... cool, but James sounds like a pimply kid, the songs go on forever without any changes, Lars is rumbling on like a drum machine on timer and the whole **** sounds nuthing like Master Of Puppets, those were the days, innit?".

That's better (even though I don't agree) and why are all you young kids into Metallica, they are an old mans band?

Soldato

* James sound like a pimply kid: Sick, makes me feel like a teenager too.
* Lars is rumbling like a drum machine: Sick totally agree bro, the man is a machine!
* Songs go on forever: Sick, more to listen to, just like the ye olden days
* Sounds nothing like master of puppets: Sick, another relentless 8 minute song and classic album, just like hardwired

:D

That's better (even though I don't agree) and why are all you young kids into Metallica, they are an old mans band?

Haha, a YouTube comment called it "Dad metal" ... I'll take that happily.

Back
Top Bottom