1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michael Winner refuses an OBE

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Youstolemyname, 29 May 2006.

1. Youstolemyname

Soldato

What an arrogant, horrible man. It is not often I get angry but how dare he make comments like that when being offered what is a great award. What's more, he tries to make out like it is below him when for the last few years he has earnt his money by doing appauling adverts and dressing as a woman in one of them. Idiot.

Winner shuns 'toilet-cleaner OBE'

Film director Michael Winner has said he turned down an OBE in the Queen's 80th birthday honours' list.

He told the Sunday Times newspaper, for which he is a columnist: "An OBE is what you get if you clean the toilets well at King's Cross station."

Mr Winner was offered the honour because of his campaign for a permanent memorial to police officers killed in the line of duty, the paper says.

But he told the Sunday Times: "I really don't care if I get anything or not."

Mr Winner, 70, added: "I'm very glad that they recognise my considerable skills as a toilet cleaner.

"But when you look at the rubbish who are getting these awards and the absolute non-service they have given to the nation other than financing or working for political parties, you say, 'What company am I in?'

"At least if you go straight to the House of Lords you can wear fancy dress and have a giggle."

Last year Mr Winner joined the Queen and the prime minister to unveil the National Police Memorial, which commemorates the 1,600 officers killed in the line of duty since the 17th Century.

But he told the Sunday Times: "I didn't say when I met the Queen, 'Did you bring your sword dear?'"

2. Stag

PermaBanned

What's so great about the award?

3. AJUK

Man of Honour

He has a point.

4. james.miller

Capodecina

he is spot on, and for somebody to stand up and turn it down?........good on him. They are giving out OBE's left right and center.

By the way, it's not like he's the only one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_declined_a_British_honour

just some of the guys and girls they know about

Last edited: 29 May 2006
  5. phykell

Mobster

rm

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  6. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I like Michael Winner and I don't have a problem with him rejecting the award or for speaking publicly about it. The sooner the whole discredited honours system is binned, the better. Kudos to all of those in the above list who rejected their awards.

7. William

Capodecina

I can see his point on not wanting to accept it as he think it will devalue his work and by doing it he hopes to raise awareness on the apparent low value of the award. Although I do agree with Phykell that he should accept it on the terms that it is the state recognising his work and not others.

That list of people who have declined them is staggering.

8. Youstolemyname

Soldato

It was more the arrogancy of the manner in which he declined it that annoyed me. Fair enough if he doesn't want it but to demean those that have, or will, receive an OBE is out of order.

The man dresses up as a woman and appears in terrible adverts. Who is he to act all high and mighty?

9. james.miller

Capodecina

they could well be his reasons for turning it down, dont you think? maybe he thinks what he does doesnt warrent an OBE and tbh he is right. Looking at that list, it really does show you OBE's aren't anything special, or at least not what we think they should be.

10. Yas786

Caporegime

Have to admit that i dont disagree with him in the slightest, awards like this are a complete waste of time and money...cant see the whole attraction with them tbh. Its not its an exclusive club is it where only a very select few get the award...seems like just about any tom, dick or harry can get one if they do something worthwhile.

11. Third Opinion

Soldato

Glad he refused it. All he has done recently is act like a complete idiot.

Why didn't he say "no thank you" instead of slagging off an award that many have worked very hard and given great service to UK residents.

Miserable old twonk.

12. james.miller

Capodecina

you mean like french and saunders or lenny henry? or bernie ecclestone?

13. aumz

Hitman

I agree with him, the award has been devalued so much along with the others buy giving them out to any tom, dick or harry that happens to drop a wad of cash int he right lap.

14. Saberu

Mobster

I've been of the opinion that these awards have been devalued for a long time, therefore also agree with Winner's statement.

15. Third Opinion

Soldato

So when you are offered an award you don't agree with you should be rude about it?

I don't agree with everyone that has received but there is no call for his behaviour. Not all that receive it are rich and famous.

16. james.miller

Capodecina

no, but the majority of them are and thats the sole reason they are awarded it in the first place. I admire the guy for speaking out on his beliefs, and i have no problem with him telling it like it is.

17. polomint

Gangster

uhhh...

:D

18. daven1986

Mobster

good for him :) they are a penny for a dozen now!

daven

19. vanpeebles

Sgarrista

im a big fan of winner, hes spot on. hes also said some great things over the years, regarding crime and society.

20. Shackley

Banned

Michael who ?

Never heard of him . . . but it's his round.