Microphone for gaming

Associate
Hey all,

I currently run a modmic 5 I bought a couple years ago, however it seems to be playing up and sends a ton of noise that apparently sounds similar to plugging /unplugging an electric guitar.

Im hoping it's the usb sound card and am waiting for a new one to arrive but if not,

Any suggestions on a good mic to replace?

I'm reluctant to buy another modmic as this one's having issues but if I did I'd probably get the usb one, anything better for less?

Predominantly would be used for chatting on discord but wouldn't mind streaming once I can sort out decent internet

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm always cautious about what appears to be cheap Chinese no brand electronics, bearing in mind their typical reliability.
I grabbed a Marantz USB mic for about £45. Certainly not cheap, but far more likely to last a number of years.

Soldato
Nothing lasts forever, but I've not really seen anything major in the way of reliability issues for Modmic's. Of course, your milage may vary. You may be unlucky there and could just replace it with a new one?

For noise reduction you'll want to avoid omnidirectional microphones, as you don't want noise captured from all directions equally. Whilst I still use my headset for the Xbox, on the PC I now just use my DT1990's and use a Yeti USB mic that I intend to stream with. Works well :)

Back
Top Bottom