Microsoft Flight Simulator

Associate
What's the performance like on xbox then? Was well into FSX back in the day, had VFR CD-ROM maps of the UK, HD weather addons. Brought my PC to it's knees.

My current PC rig with 4GB of RAM, mid CPU isn't up to the job, it's really for 4K video editing. Tempted to get latest XBOX but not if it's 1080p 60fps or 4K 30fps.

Soldato
What's the performance like on xbox then? Was well into FSX back in the day, had VFR CD-ROM maps of the UK, HD weather addons. Brought my PC to it's knees.

My current PC rig with 4GB of RAM, mid CPU isn't up to the job, it's really for 4K video editing. Tempted to get latest XBOX but not if it's 1080p 60fps or 4K 30fps.

It's 4k 30fps

To expect anything more from a console and a "game" on this scale is expecting too much imo.

It drops frames also when you get down low over a major city.

Soldato
I've just flew out of Vegas (how many runways does one city need?) And over the Grand Canyon to some run way on the side of a mountain... let's just say it didn't end well but I have damage off so it did end up on it's wheels on the run way after some questionable bounce and wing slap.. lol

I've learnt to set a depart and arrival run way now so at least I can always get back on track after going on an adventure. 9hrs flying so far, not many good landings something I need to work on.

Caporegime
OP
I've learnt to set a depart and arrival run way now so at least I can always get back on track after going on an adventure. 9hrs flying so far, not many good landings something I need to work on.

Can you set a new destination mid flight? I tend to start off with a predetermined course, see something I like and go and have a look but I stick it on AI Pilot so it means the original destination is cancelled. And then I can't find a way to get it back again as the Flight Assistant only shows things near to you.

Soldato
Are there tutorials on how to set IFR flights and how to set ILS and catch the glide slope when landing etc..? I’ve not played FS for years, FS2000 and pretty much everything I knew has been forgotten.

Soldato
Can you set a new destination mid flight? I tend to start off with a predetermined course, see something I like and go and have a look but I stick it on AI Pilot so it means the original destination is cancelled. And then I can't find a way to get it back again as the Flight Assistant only shows things near to you.

I'm not sure on that one, I'd imagine there is via the flight computer but erm yeah I don't have a clue on how to use that. I don't really use auto pilot much tbh so hadn't noticed, If I can get back on today (my xbox is set up on main TV and I have a wife and 3 yr old lol) then I will take a look.

Going to start to watch some tutorials I think, I want to get setting up for landing manually correct I think one of my issues is I tend to jump about with the planes I use and that really isn't helping. :o

Soldato
Hmm; I wonder what gives! I don't fancy dl the whole lot again. I think I'll wait for the next patch to see if that makes a difference first.

Did the game lock up or crash the system if you will?

I had one on my way to Florence first night playing (it was night) and the game just kind if ground to a halt but I could quit out of it and change game etc no problems.

Soldato
Did the game lock up or crash the system if you will?

I had one on my way to Florence first night playing (it was night) and the game just kind if ground to a halt but I could quit out of it and change game etc no problems.
Screen just goes momentarily black and then back to the dashboard. The Discovery Everest flight seems to consistently crash several seconds after taking control, panning the camera and boom. Other discovery flights and starting from the world map have been mostly fine.

Caporegime
Can you map a button to turn autopilot on/off as a toggle?

In the controls there is so many autopilot options I don't know which command to bind.

I used "sim speed up" and down which is quite cool. In effect it lets you play at 0.25, 0.5, 2, 4, 8, 16 of normal speed, which is fun for speeding up the boring part of the flight and then slowing down for landing

rp2000

Soldato
I used "sim speed up" and down which is quite cool. In effect it lets you play at 0.25, 0.5, 2, 4, 8, 16 of normal speed, which is fun for speeding up the boring part of the flight and then slowing down for landingp

Not sure about the bindings, but I'm not sure I'd want to speed up parts of the game due to boredom. The game is beautiful and I'd just be paying loads of attention to the lovely scenery on the long flights!

Man of Honour
Not sure about the bindings, but I'm not sure I'd want to speed up parts of the game due to boredom. The game is beautiful and I'd just be paying loads of attention to the lovely scenery on the long flights!

Plus you can just jump ahead to the final approach, landing etc if you want.

Isn’t ‘Y’ autopilot on some planes? I forget, I haven’t used it often. If I do use it I often press the button manually in the cockpit.

It blew my mind yesterday when I found all the cockpit menus on the map. Also when I restarted it and it showed the Garmin logo for a few seconds as it ‘loaded’. Had a stunning flight over Vegas and Hoover dam yesterday.

Soldato

Agreed but with kids I have limited flying time. If I'm hopping over the Atlantic then I'd have to be afk or do it in stints. Short haul I completely agree.

Back
Top Bottom