Microsoft releases Security Essentials today

Soldato
OP
I was thinking of switching to this from Avast, however correct me if im wrong but apparently Mse dosnt have web filtering cabability like Avast?

Also Avast version 5 should be out soon with a new interface and an improved anti virus engine.

it wipes the floor with Avast, but if it does not do what you want then stay where you are i guess, but sure there are other web filtering apps?

Worth swapping from AVG free 8.5?

its a no brainer

Soldato
I've been using the trial of Kaspersky Internet security 10 (excellent software), I was going to purchase it but now this is free I'll give it a try, would this and the windows firewall suffice? Windows 7.

C64

C64

Soldato
Why is it better than avast or avira ? okay I just ran it and it has found nothing at all.
Just going to install spybot and see what I find.

Last edited:

C64

C64

Soldato
spybot found nothing so looks good so far am a bit meh about the ram it's using though surely it could use less than around 100mb which it seems to be using.Also there doesn't seem to be a way of disabling it when you don't wish to run it ? there's no service entry ? even when you turn off live monitoring i'ts still sitting there using 100mb ram

Last edited:
Soldato
spybot found nothing so looks good so far am a bit meh about the ram it's using though surely it could use less than around 100mb which it seems to be using.Also there doesn't seem to be a way of disabling it when you don't wish to run it ? there's no service entry ? even when you turn off live monitoring i'ts still sitting there using 100mb ram

Kill msseces.exe in task manager processes :)

Soldato
OP
if you want a free one then i would look no further than this, after all its made by the company that make the os you use it on. if my nod32 superscription expired tomorrow i would properly switch on all my pc's

Soldato

with the amount of ram we have these days why u worrying about 100mb

Soldato
I'll just be glad to just have a generic antivirus to install on the fixer-upper jobs I do for people that a) doesn't cost anything and b) doesn't mither you to upgrade to the paid version.

Soldato

Spybot is crap to be honest,you are better off with Malwarebytes 1.41 or SuperAntiSpyware with a free AV.

Back
Top Bottom