Microsofts New Handheld

Soldato
i think nokia make something similar, but its purely for surfing.

The Nokia 770 does everything mentioned here (surfing, instant messaging, audio/video streaming, gaming, etc) and is based on Linux. It's cheap for what it does and it's apparently is easy to port applications to it. Unfortunately it's a bit underpowered.

Permabanned
Im looking forward to tomorrow so we can see what this thing is really like. If its what I think its gonna be like I will sell my M5000 and laptop and get one of these.

Associate
reading about this on a site i dont think im allowed to link to it says ms are just involved and the site said Microsoft has been careful to state that it is a concept effort.

does that mean all the stuff in the vid is what they plan for it to do or what?

so the guy playing halo probably isnt and its possible that it wont be able to in the end?

~J~

~J~

Soldato
I thought they had confirmed on their site that Origami is gonna be a media player like the Creative Xen only with MCE capabilities, nothing more, nothing less?

Soldato
Boogle said:
If you use Windows you're as 'guilty' of being a stupid IT manager who does what MS says and doesn't look at the alternatives. The more MS products you use, the more hypocritical you get.

MS are one of the best companies out there, they're not an evil company who eat everything in sight. Just look at companies like Walmart & Stagecoach to see companies that will do anything to win. In case you're wondering, both of those companies price their products at a price that drives the competition out, then when there's no competition, they put the prices up (to above what they would normally be).
Boogle - do you work for Microsoft? ;)

The more they standardise the better, something the movie industry would be wise to follow.
Don't you mean "The more they monopolise" :p

Soldato
XPE said:
you know, ms could give the money to charity instead of throwing away another couple of billion getting there ass’s handed to them in the portable market.

Like they did with the Pocket PC...which has pretty much knocked Palm out of the market?

Soldato
Like they did with the Pocket PC...which has pretty much knocked Palm out of the market?

Palm OS and Pocket PC sales are about on par with each other. The Palm-powered Treo 600/650 is the top selling smartphone in the US by far. Globably, Window Mobile is the forth most popular smartphone OS behind Symbian, Linux and Palm according to Canalys.

I agree with the comments regarding Microsoft giving money to charity though - Microsoft are a company and companies tend to invest profit into new ventures. A company giving all of its money to charity would be unprecedented and isn't realistically going to happen - whether they're "good" or "evil".

Why does every thread relating to a Microsoft product have to decend into the usual "M$ = evil" trolling?

Soldato
Tunney said:
Why does every thread relating to a Microsoft product have to decend into the usual "M$ = evil" trolling?
Perhaps it's just because as a company they invoke such strong reactions in people. I don't think they're 'evil' in any way, but do believe (and I don't think it can be doubted) that they have a track record of releasing software full of bugs & security flaws, and they have tried to monopolise the markets they operate in - hence their problems with the monopolies commission.

Man of Honour
Davey_Pitch said:
I remember people saying the same thing when they announced the Xbox. They were wrong then, they could be equally wrong now.

I'd love to be wrong, nothing like a good bit of competition. I always thought they would do well in the console market but the handheld market is a completely different game.

Soldato
2nd generation shows promise, and will be market leader for a while --- possibly, 1st gen is like a mobile phone as stated above

M$ do give lotssssss to charity, because they are one fo the VERY few companies who can actually afford to doing this - however they shouldnt be discredited for dioing it all the same

I do disagreee wholeheartedly however with their "thievieng" of past / present software technologies and buying up any compnay worthy of future promise

The IT sector THRIVES on competition, not one company however powerful owning 70% or whatever

Back
Top Bottom