Midweek Football Thread. Champions League. 15-16 *spoliers*

Associate
Look at his record and then maybe you'll see why he's still around. Why would Real Madrid have came knocking if he was sub-standard? He's a brilliant manager.

He obviously has a a lot of ability in some areas.
But from the outside looking in, he seems incapable or too stubborn to address issues most people consider to have held the club back for years.
Given that and the lack of recent trophies, I agree questions must surely be asked.
No degree of past success should give someone endless time to get things right.
Having said that, it only makes sense to consider removing him if you feel there's someone who will come in and do a better job. I'm not sure it would be that easy.

Caporegime
His 'I can do it on a shoestring budget' philosophy is growing tired.

Fair comment, I agree with you mate.

He obviously has a a lot of ability in some areas.
But from the outside looking in, he seems incapable or too stubborn to address issues most people consider to have held the club back for years.
Given that and the lack of recent trophies, I agree questions must surely be asked.
No degree of past success should give someone endless time to get things right.
Having said that, it only makes sense to consider removing him if you feel there's someone who will come in and do a better job. I'm not sure it would be that easy.

True as well. I don't think there is anybody that could just come in straight away. I think all of the top, top managers at the moment are already with great teams.

Soldato
I think the Arsenal board are happy for Wenger to continue, he doesn't spend much money and keeps them in the top four qualifying for the Champions League every season. Financially even if they won the Premier League it wouldn't make much difference. I can see why some fans think there should be a change but there would be some major changes if he left.

Man of Honour
I've been saying that for years. If we can't win the league then just hit fourth spot each year until we can mount a challenge. It's the smart way of doing it and if you look at e.g. Rafa's rotation a few years ago he did well for it.

However we also have City and Villa to contend with, as well as Everton...maybe Spurs too.

Caporegime
We need shaking up at half time. I think that when Liege get a bit more tired that our passing will end up dragging them out of position and hopefully we'll score enough to equalise!

Just as I was typing Bendtner comes in with an important goal! :D

Caporegime
I think the Arsenal board are happy for Wenger to continue, he doesn't spend much money and keeps them in the top four qualifying for the Champions League every season. Financially even if they won the Premier League it wouldn't make much difference. I can see why some fans think there should be a change but there would be some major changes if he left.

This season i think our chances of qualifying for the CL next yr is going to be very very slim...we havent got the firepower to compete with the top teams including Man City now...god knows whats going to happen when we play the Spurs...i think we are going to struggle badly this season tbh.

As for Wenger??..hes a great manager but like Robbie said im fed up of his budget shoestring that he seems so fond of...sure before the millionaires ie Abrahamovic etc came onto the scene...Arsenal and their policy of shoestring budget was working well...it isnt anymore...4 yrs of nothing and probably this season as well.

Our defence which used to be our strong point is a complete and utter shambles now..has been for the past few yrs and to top it off theres a damn good chance that Fabregas will go to Barca..if Barca want him that is or he will go to another team.

Soldato
4-3-3 just doesnt work for us, nor did 4-5-1. I just don't understand why we dont play 4-4-2 anymore. Diaby, Song, Eboue, Bendtner and Eduardo just aren't good enough.

2-1 now though so i think we'll get at least a point out of it.

Caporegime
Second half is going to have me sat right up in my chair now! :D

BTW, how come Wenger said that Walcott is injured? I thought he overcame it? Either way we need to get Diaby off as soon as and get either Ramsey or Wilshere on in his place. Get Eboue off and put Sagna on and if we have Vela on the bench the get Eduardo off a bit later in the match and bring him on, with his pace there's no telling what would happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
This season i think our chances of qualifying for the CL next yr is going to be very very slim...we havent got the firepower to compete with the top teams including Man City now...god knows whats going to happen when we play the Spurs...i think we are going to struggle badly this season tbh.

As for Wenger??..hes a great manager but like Robbie said im fed up of his budget shoestring that he seems so fond of...sure before the millionaires ie Abrahamovic etc came onto the scene...Arsenal and their policy of shoestring budget was working well...it isnt anymore...4 yrs of nothing and probably this season as well.

Our defence which used to be our strong point is a complete and utter shambles now..has been for the past few yrs and to top it off theres a damn good chance that Fabregas will go to Barca..if Barca want him that is or he will go to another team.

Tougher this season, I think there's only 3 Champions League spots up for grabs. Or maybe that's next season. Can anyone confirm this?

Back
Top Bottom