Might get a Megane...

Man of Honour
Unless you are doing big mileage, I don't think you'll notice a huge difference in fuel cost as the 1.4 petrol should return MPG in the low 40s.

I would look at a newer Focus or Mondeo (yay).

Associate
With the Megane you get a lot of car for your money at around the 3 year old mark. This is due to the generic problems which people have already stated driving the price down.

I have the 1.9 dci 130bhp megane on a 56 plate and it's not a bad car. I think a lot of the early problems went away with the facelift which happened from 06 onwards so don't go earlier than that. It has improved front suspension and the turbos are more finely tuned.

I drove the new 1.5 dci earlier in week as it was a hire car and I assume it's the same engine. It's not bad although it's pretty slugish. Once you learn how to drive it properly though it wasn't that bad.

Basically from what I read when I researched my car was:
-Don't buy the petrol as it has far more problems.
-Electrical faults are more common pre-facelift.
-The EGR valve on the diesel may clog and cease resulting in the turbo working overtime and ultimately failing costing around £800 for a relacement. This can be remedied by not driving the engine like an old woman and revving it now and again.

Soldato
So you are getting a 1.5DCi Megane because it does 55mpg and is cheap to tax?

And you want to spend £4000 + your car.

And you drive a 1.4 51 reg Focus?

LOLWUT!!!!

It won't get 55mpg around town, only on a motorway. Your Focus is also cheap to tax.

If you want to upgrade, then upgrade for the correct reasons like you want something newer, more refined and better to drive than your current car. ie, not a diesel as they are crap for around town and a petrol will be just as economical and cheaper to run.

Associate
It's french it'll slowly fall apart with various electrical problems and you'll notice the quality reduction over your focus once all the dash shine has worn off

As an owner of 2 "old" Renaults since 2005 I can do nothing but agree with this. My 19 was nothing but a plague of issues. The worst of which was its ability to run for 3 years with no major electrical or mechanical faults bar a dodgy earth which would kill the battery. It was horrific, the costs would make the baby Jesus shed a tear. I litterally spent pounds on service parts. The Megane is not much better either, nice and comfy, shockingly economical if need be (well for an old 2.0) and so far has only needed the exhaust replacing and a new thermostat housing (both original 13 year old parts). I will admit there is an annoying squeak from the dash where a previous owner has taken the top off and not refitted it properly.

I have not delved into the newer Renault that much but most of the major faults do seem to have been rectified although there are still some niggly issues which are still around. EGR, Coils etc.

Caporegime
Why on earth do people spend thousands on another car, for the sole reason to save on fuel costs and tax? I mean, have you not even worked out how long it'd take to see an actual saving?

Soldato
Why on earth do people spend thousands on another car, for the sole reason to save on fuel costs and tax? I mean, have you not even worked out how long it'd take to see an actual saving?

This bizarre mentality seems to be all over the place. A chap on another forum I frequent wanted to buy an LED-backlit TV purely because it would use less energy than his current LCD TV.

Caporegime
This bizarre mentality seems to be all over the place. A chap on another forum I frequent wanted to buy an LED-backlit TV purely because it would use less energy than his current LCD TV.

Well that is ridiculous of course, if energy-saving was literally the only reason for the swap.

But the mistake a lot of people make on this forum, is that they hear the dreaded words 'fuel economy' and immediately launch into some tirade about how payback will take years etc., forgetting the fact that a guy probably wants a newer more spacious car anyway and if it's fuel efficient also, then so much the better.

Wanting a new car that is fuel efficient is not the same as changing cars purely due to fuel efficiency. Some people are literally just too stupid to understand this, which is also a bizarre mentality all over the place.

Associate
The mistake a lot of people make on this forum, is that they hear the dreaded words 'fuel economy' and immediately launch into some tirade about how payback will take years etc., forgetting the fact that a guy probably wants a newer more spacious car anyway and if it's fuel efficient also, then so much the better.

Wanting a new car that is fuel efficient is not the same as changing cars purely due to fuel efficiency. Some people are literally just too stupid to understand this, which is also a bizarre mentality all over the place.

Well said !

I know next to nothing about cars, but it's clear even to me that the OP fancies a change and a newer vehicle.

Any increase in fuel economy is just another box he would like to tick in getting his new vehicle, It's clear enough that it's not his sole reason for wanting to change cars.

Man of Honour

It's not that all. Upgrading cars is fine.

Buying a completely crap car is not.

Furthermore, it is clear a major motivator in his choice of replacement car is the fuel economy figures. It is only fair we point out how massively deluded he is if he thinks he'll acheive these.

Soldato
My colleague has a 57 place Scenic, 1.5 diesel, 40k miles. The engine has been fine, he gets 50-55MPG around town.

He has been very glad of his extended warranty, which so far this year has saved him over £1500 worth of electrical repairs to this car. Everything from the electronic dashboard to glow plugs have gone wrong, which in a new car is verging on criminal!

If the Focus is reliable, stick with it, get your lass learning to drive on it and then any damage she might cause should be pretty cheap to fix.

Associate
OP
Wow, so many posts!

Firstly for the odd few saying get a Focus, read the OP I have one and would like something different with my second car.

Secondly It's buggered, won't go into detail just trust me on this one.

I need a new car, one thats reliable, preferabley cheap to run, hence the megane with good MPG and cheap TAX if it's true that it will cost a small fortune in repair bills then ok I'll avoid.

I like to fish and would like a car with enough room to take a 6ft hold all and still be able to get a passenger into the car at the same time.

Cheap MPG and cheap car tax are just a bonus.

I am also contemplating a smaller car but with a roof rack of sorts to mount the hold all.

My fiancee will be taking driving lessons soon so don't want a massive car/people carrier.

The other car I looked at was the C-Max but she rreackons it's too big.

So to recap I am not getting another car to save a tenner a week on fuel but to lose thousand ins the actual process of buying one.

I need a new car and would prefer a diesel to save money on fuel, is that so bad?

Back
Top Bottom