Mike Tyson

Soldato
OP
Yeah apologies for that. It all gets really confusing when you have like, 5 PCs lol.

This one is finished. Well, apart from the Der8auer CPU bracket thing I need to fit. It came much later, and it's sitting on my desk. It shifts the pump block to where the cores are. But yeah, this rig is not my Sid Fiddler. I got plenty of other PCs for that, and I am sick of being a PC down when I mod or change hardware. Totally sucks.

Soldato
OP
Finally fitted the Der8auer bracket today LOL. I also fitted 16gb extra RAM (same as what I had).

Cql9ktH.jpg

EmHq5aP.jpg

Oh and I had an overheating issue after fitting the halos. So I got some 10mm plastic spacers and longer thumb nuts. Don't worry, they will be black. I just need a blow torch and some flac seed oil.

Soldato
OP
Ooh, interesting. Are you planning to coat it and then essentially burn the oil so it blackens or heat the metal until it flows and then quench in the oil?

I watched some Russian guy restore a motorbike recently and it seems all you do is heat it very hot then dunk. It goes a lovely flat black colour. Looks a whole load easier than trying to paint the ruddy things.

Soldato
In which case the old favourite there is used engine oil for oil quench blueing. Most likely less pleasant fumes off that for indoor use though. You may want to have some sort of suitable fire extinguisher/blanket on hand though since you'll need to have the part hot enough for this to work but not so hot that you're above the flash temp of the oil...or it'll catch fire!

Soldato
OP
Oh it's one for ma's back garden for sure :D

White gloves on.

QCPWe1S.jpg

Clean glass back and front and put back on without tons of finger prints all over it on both sides.

yR07qAn.jpg

It's a little irritating that the front of the PC seems to be a total fluff trap. Not much I can do though (the tumble dryer is very close by :( )

Soldato
OP
Time to change this up a little.

Since building this I have changed around the build at my mother's house a bit. Well, actually that's a lie I rebuilt it ground up with water cooling. I shifted my printer, plotter and other stuff I use for Photoshop and etc all over there, as it is nearer to the stuff I work on. As such all I do with this PC now is game. Just pure gaming, nothing else.

I was hoping to buy a cut price 5900x or 5950x for this PC and put the 3950x where I need it in the rig at my mother's. This one.

5Cxvq4K.jpg

Which currently has a 3600 in it. Thing is I don't really like the X570 TUF. I mean, it's fine and it works really well but it doesn't have enough options for storage other than SATA. Because of this (and the price hike from 1tb M.2 drives to 2tb) I was a bit miffed with it. I am also a bit miffed at AMD, who haven't dropped their prices at all in the face of competition. Well, at least not in a meaningful way IMO. The 5900x is a clear target, and gets usurped easily by the 12900k. It also gets run really close by the 12700k, which is £90 less. Well, the KF is. I was expecting them to reduce the price, at which point I would have stuck with the X570 TUF. But no.

Starting to smell a bit like Intel, which I want nothing to do with. So, given the £90 deficit in price for the 12700 KF I got that. I then bought the Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4 for £229. Leaving me about £130 over what a 5900x would have cost. However, I gain two more NVME slots, and the chance to do an easy BIOS based RAID setup. Given I had two drives from a failed experiment with RAID on Threadripper.

eET3qyw.jpg

I decided that was the way forward. So board and CPU got.

i7Iy86d.jpg

I thought about re-using the cooler in there but tbh? it was cheap and it isn't great. It's been fine on the 3950x, but I think a modern Intel would likely overwhelm it a tad. The good thing is that I found a set of brackets that allow the Corsair H100x to fit my old Threadripper. Which I currently don't have a cooler for. So I got this for the Intel stuff.

cZ2JYfO.jpg

Have fitted the RAID SSDs and the CPU.

Jf92x9q.jpg

And when I return after the New Year I will bring the new cooler back and get it up and running :)

Soldato
OP
Darn it, that's going to be the TR board I've just slapped a pair of 1TB M.2's in, isn't it? Go on, point me at the email where you informed me thusly and I didn't listen! *sigh*
Nice new toys by the way :D

Nope. I never tried it on that, as that was at a totally different location. I bought that ages ago for a really low price (hence why it was cheap when passed on). But yeah, I tried it on this one.

mt43k1k.png

Which I still have. It got replaced, oddly enough, by this rig (the 3950x one).

From what I could gather there was stuff I should have done upon install. Not after the fact. Which meant ripping out the drivers for the two NVME drives and replacing them with AMD's. Problem was by that point I had 7 other SSDs in the rig and it wasn't clear which controller was running what. IE, I would have probably borked my install and it was a frustrating build as it was so I just didn't bother.

I am hoping that NVME RAID on Intel is like setting up SATA RAID on Intel. IE, easy enough for a **** like myself to do.

Soldato
OP
With what dude?

If you mean the BIOS? it was a PITA lol. It came with F2 on, but wasn't great. I put F5 on there. That was much better. Got Win 11 on after about two hours (I had enabled CSM which had disabled Secureboot leaving it nowhere to be found). Had a few attempts at RAM clocking but was getting nowhere. So I enabled XMP. Then it crashed. Then I realised it was XMP to 4ghz RAM but not adding the 1.35 volts it needs. It was staying on 1.2. And that seemed to do the trick.

apQNz3s.jpg

F3s6uch.jpg

Latency isn't fantastic at 94NS, but that seems to be an issue with DDR5 too (at stupid clocks).

Had a few issues with PUBG, but pretty certain they were because of PUBG and not the PC. Wasted an entire evening trying to get it to launch, but nothing. Started to panic but left it and went to bed. Got up next day, 150mb update, problems solved. It was something to do with Battleye. Instead of loading itself and hiding itself like it's supposed to I could see it in the task bar and what it was doing (spewing lines of code).

During the evening of panic though I did update to F6A. Which was another massive pain in the balls. It just kept saying BIOS mismatch. In the end I reformatted the USB stick to FAT 32, put the BIOS on there and then after another three attempts it finally installed it.

Funny thing is I had the *EXACT* same issue with the X399 Aorus Pro TR4 board. Gigabyte released a new BIOS at Christmas for Windows 11, and it took seven attempts to get it to read it without telling me it was the wrong BIOS. I wouldn't mind if Id screwed that part up myself, but there is literally one X399 Aorus Pro and not about 30 like on Alderlake.

Soldato
OP
Finished. Until I decide to change something else :D

Couple of things done. I'm not using the sound card right now as my Beyer T5P finally died after years of faithful service :( tbh though they were rotten. The pads and headband were disintegrating and they were dropping crap everywhere. I was going to get a new pad and ear pads but they cost in excess of £100. So in the interim I bought these for £220, as I had no spare pairs left (gave them to friends).

Uz3ISxA.jpg

Mum was in hospital having a cancer op, it was Christmas and I was house sitting for her so I was in no mood to perform headphone repair which is mildly annoying to extremely frustrating at best. Then before I even got the AQs home the BDs blew. Both drivers. So I bought this as well, given I didn't need to find over £100 for parts for the BDs.

Zvf2i39.jpg

See, during that time I realised that when I got my BDs in like 2014 or whenever it was they were the best sounding closed back cans I had ever heard to that point. When I tried the AQs it was obvious that a lot of competition had arrived since then, and I actually preferred the AQs. They don't fit as tight and the bass slams much harder than the T5P did. Any way, back to the PC. I had an issue. The PWM controller I was using to control all of the Noiseblockers (4 in PP on the front) did not like it when I connected up the EKs. Well, it did, it just span them all at 100%. Whilst the Noiseblockers are perfect for this because they are virtually silent even at full pelt the EKs sounded like a rocket ship. I deliberated on ways to sort this out, but all of them meant more money and more surgery on the PC. In the end it turns out I had exactly what I needed "in stock" and free.

0V8qEfP.png

I know, it's probably overkill to use a complete AC AE LT5 just for three fans but what part of this build was cheap? Of course that created its own headache. For some reason my mind was forcing me to make it fit in the top of the PC. This would have been fine but the MOLEX cable it required did not reach. I did not have an extension and I am really in no mood for more peeing around since doing the server (which has been a pain, but is now finished I think...) so I sat and thought about it for a while. Then I realised I had about 200 fan extensions. So why not run a single one up the inner wall face, split it at the top and then connect the LT in the floor of the case. Which was what I did.

I also, finally, cut the one decal I wanted on the PC. Sadly I forgot the Lian Li one was smoked chrome, but it still looks decent and not out of place.

S4MJ1mo.jpg

I don't use the RGB much, but when I do it's usually white.

Soldato
OP
Cheers dude. Ain't gonna lie I may have almost bought a Z690 KP board but the TV won lol.

I can also report I have had no other software issues since that one time a couple of weeks ago where I thought my hardware was Donald Ducked.

It's quite scary when you change hardware in the PC that you depend on (with no spare, well, not until the server was done) but it's even more annoying when something like Steam malfunctions, causes your screen to strobe and makes you think your new hardware is at fault. It's actually soul punishing.

Back
Top Bottom