1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mineral Oil cooling... Puget Systems threatened with legal action (old news!)

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by implosiveturnip, 28 Jan 2019.

1. implosiveturnip

Wise Guy

OK, so I have been toying with the idea of having a mineral oil cooled PC in a faux fish tank, to serve as something interesting to look at and also do some light HTPC duties (Netflix, steam in home streaming, basic browsing) and I came across a great blog by Puget Systems. It's very informative, and well worth a read if you're in the least bit interested in this sort of thing. A bit old, but still relevant if you're considering something so, well, gimmicky.

Well, I'm wasn't about to put any money into this just yet to be honest, as I'm still only flirting with the idea, however, I was sad to see this note at the bottom of the article:

I've reached out to Puget, in the hope that they can share some info with me regarding the original mineral oil PC they did, plus some info on parts. I'm more than happy to share that info here, provided they don't have a problem with me doing so. If anyone here has done anything similar, please do share your experience with me. I want the good, the bad and the ugly!

I also really want to know who owns these patents! Conducting a patent search is a hell of a lot more effort than I thought it would be, and I can find nothing on google. It feels like a patent troll, but I could be wrong. Would be interesting if it was a legit company that offers some mineral oil cooling solutions of their own.

TL;DR: I might oil cool HTPC, Puget Sytems did a good blog, and now I'm looking for stories/advice.

Original article on Puget's website: https://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc.php

Thanks in advance!

2. Brizzles

Soldato

Patents can't stop you building one for home use.

You only infringe a patent when you profit commercially from it

3. implosiveturnip

Wise Guy

Yeah I figured that, I was just more curious as to who owns these patents and what they're using them for. As in is there another company out there offering oil-cooling kits like Puget used to?

4. Brizzles

Soldato

Probably an industrial patent.

For instance, these guys supply 'mineral oil ' based cooling for servers :

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com...oling-how-practical-is-dunking-servers-in-oil