1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing File When Installing XP SP2

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by sagaboy2, 28 Mar 2006.

1. sagaboy2

Wise Guy

:confused: After going through the setup for windows XP, it seems to hang and stutter as it gets to the end jsut before saving settings.

It then askes me to insert the windows SP2 disk....which is already in the drive :confused:

It wants the file "i386", but when I click on the optical drive in the menu it says its unavailable.

Im confused as to why the optical drive does not appear at this point but all the files before hand are copied from the drive.

Any ideas, im going to try a different drive later on.

*edit* Spec if needed

X2 4400
    DFI Expert
    200GB spinpoint sata
    1GB corsair pro Cas2
    HP dvd lightscribe drive

Last edited: 28 Mar 2006
  2. rickyt

Hitman

I'm a PC technician and install XP quite a few times .In my experience if the PC suddenly stops loading or freezes on instalations , It's probably the CD drive.I've had to change 1 or 2 to continue with the installation.

3. TONY

Wise Guy

I had missing files when I was installing XP and as above I changed my dvd drive and that sorted it, the drive I changed was a brand new Sony and it was the first time it had been used.

4. sagaboy2

Wise Guy

iv changed the drive now and its still doing it :(

although i did notice a massive increase in speed of the installation up until this point.

5. vanandjuanunited

Soldato

Faulty disc - is it scratched.

6. sagaboy2

Wise Guy

its just gota tiny tiny scratches on it, its worked fine in the past in the same condition.

7. UKDTweak

Soldato

Sounds like a duff CD mate.

8. sagaboy2

Wise Guy

right thats it, 6 attempts is enough im getting out the SP1 disk....*shivers*

9. TechnoCorruption

Wise Guy

Was the machine overclocked, I had one PC build which needed reformatting and for some reason it would miss a file off, put everything back to stock and it installed no problem, dont ask me why though as I have installed windows on loads of overclocked machines.