Mister FPGA

Associate
The mister is definitely worth getting for anyone who loves retro gaming but doesn't mind that it isn't the "real thing" but it is definitely the next best thing! If you really want to make it feel more real you can get things like the SNAC boards or the blister boards that let you connect the actual console pads to your mister. If you get the LLAPI cores (low latency) instead of the standard ones (when you have a SNAC board or blister) and connect to a CRT then for all intents and purposes it is exactly the same as the real thing - bar using a ROM file instead of the actual cartridge!

I've only really scratched the surface myself but everything I've tested has worked perfectly and I'm really impressed with it all. I'm still looking to get a case for mine as it's just the circuit boards combined but I'm wanting one that's aluminium rather than plastic and with the current situation of import delays etc I'm holding off for now.

Associate
SDRAM-free cores

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

I hadn't realise the MD didn't need SDRAM (made that mistake in my earlier reply). That's quite cool. The rest I was aware of.

Got something new today, which whilst not 100% for MiSTer does seem to work very well with it. I've turned into an 8BitDo fan and have a number of their fantastic controllers and adaptors. Now I have added the G Bros. Wireless Adaptor.

Allows the use of Wii or GameCube controllers with Switch, PC, MiSTer and Linux/RPi etc. Over Bluetooth or USB. This opens up using NES or SNES Mini controllers too, as well as 8BitDo's SF30 2.4G Wireless Controller for the SNES Mini (as per my photo). Which as a 2.4G wireless controller will be slightly lower latency than Bluetooth variants and works perfectly with the SNES core as you would expect.

Very cool little device.

ccSdul9l.jpg

Soldato
Just ordered mine so should be here in a couple of days. More money down the retro sinkhole but I'm really looking forward to this! I was never happy with my Pi3b+ SNES setup due to the lag.

Soldato
Just ordered mine so should be here in a couple of days. More money down the retro sinkhole but I'm really looking forward to this! I was never happy with my Pi3b+ SNES setup due to the lag.

I use theypsilon update_all script to keep my mister updated, I noticed he has a quick setup video that might be worth doing for fresh installs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice one will take a look ta.

Controller wise I have a few laying around like the SF30 8bitdo but I'm leaning towards getting an 8bitdo M30 2.4g as with a cable I can already envisage the little one tripping over it and launching the whole system onto the floor. It seems a little odd that it works without any additional hardware with the Mister but the SNES pads do not.

Associate
I'm leaning towards getting an 8bitdo M30 2.4g as with a cable I can already envisage the little one tripping over it and launching the whole system onto the floor. It seems a little odd that it works without any additional hardware with the Mister but the SNES pads do not.

I think it's just a side effect of the different mini consoles, which these 8bitdo controllers released alongside. So PCE and MD consoles use USB ports versus the mini Nintendo consoles using the proprietary Wii-mote ports. Bit of a pain as you say given the 2.4g controllers have the lower wireless latency when compared to Bluetooth controllers.

I picked up the M30 2.4g when I got my MiSTer (in one of my photos above) and I will say of all the controllers I've tried it is probably the best all-rounder as it has the 2 shoulder buttons and 6 front-facing buttons which means it suitable for any of the current cores (until PS1 comes out). Although there is something nice about using the same shape controllers with respective cores. I do wish the M30 was ever so slightly larger although that's subjective, but I much prefer it to the official MD 6-button controller shape.

Soldato
I think it's just a side effect of the different mini consoles, which these 8bitdo controllers released alongside. So PCE and MD consoles use USB ports versus the mini Nintendo consoles using the proprietary Wii-mote ports. Bit of a pain as you say given the 2.4g controllers have the lower wireless latency when compared to Bluetooth controllers.

I picked up the M30 2.4g when I got my MiSTer (in one of my photos above) and I will say of all the controllers I've tried it is probably the best all-rounder as it has the 2 shoulder buttons and 6 front-facing buttons which means it suitable for any of the current cores (until PS1 comes out). Although there is something nice about using the same shape controllers with respective cores. I do wish the M30 was ever so slightly larger although that's subjective, but I much prefer it to the official MD 6-button controller shape.
Yep you're one of a few people that pushed me towards the M30 after seeing your pic. The Retrobit one is apparently pretty good but not as good as 8bitdo's. Then there's the Saturn controllers for bigger hands. Plenty of options it seems but yeah I think the M30 is the one for me. I can always use a USB cable with the SF30 for SNES stuff if I really want I guess.

Associate
To be fair I think it might just be my initial impressions. It's the same width as the SNES controller. Although I don't own a Saturn any more I do have one of the SEGA USB Saturn pads (in that white + multi coloured buttons) they released c.2006. The M30 is very similar in width just the Saturn pad has more grips that rest in your palm. I think what lets the Saturn pad down for MiSTer use is the lack of a Select button although a legendary controller.

Soldato
i have been considering this for a while but as a previous poster stated it was a little confusing on what you actually need and seemed expensive for what seemed to be just a bit more of a purist emulation experience.

I have a new PI4 to go into my arcade cab but was thinking it it would be better to grab one of these instead to just do arcade games. I see that an SD RAM upgrade isnt required for that. Does that mean any arcade machine will not need it or will there be instances where it will be required for newer/more complicated machines to emulate perfectly?

Although it only has 1 x USB Port can a USB Hub be connected to that for my 2 x Arcade stick? I have been thinking of remaking the control board on the arcade into a single rather than 2 player but in case i dont i want the option to plug in both joysticks.

What front end does it use? Is it something i will have to build from scratch or are there some pre built like retropie/emulation station?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Associate
@ZXSpectrum I'm not hugely knowledgeable on the arcade cores so unsure on this question although aware in theory the arcade cores can run without SDRAM. But I don't know if this includes the unofficial cores or the ones by Jotego etc. It might be like the NeoGeo where you can run certain games without the 128MB SDRAM module, i.e. so the 32MB module. Hopefully someone with more knowledge answers this.

You need a USB hub. On mine I have the WiFi dongle, A logitech keyboard or mouse & keyboard plus any controllers or dongles. So ideally either the USB Hub (7 ports) or something with enough ports for you. Either way 1 or 2 sticks/controllers plugged in is fine.

The front end is a simple Linux OS which is very functional. You can barely adjust anything, just the background picture. But it's text based, and just meant to get you into games. No fancy album art or front-end.

Hope that helps.

Soldato
Thanks for the info..

To be honest for the money its probably just best to stay with the PI then i can use something with a Hyperspin type front end to make it all look nice. It might not have the benefits of the Mister but i dont think i will notice. If i was going to do a build for everything, mainly SNES and Arcade i might consider it but dont think it will be worth the cost vs gains for me personally.

Soldato
i have been considering this for a while but as a previous poster stated it was a little confusing on what you actually need and seemed expensive for what seemed to be just a bit more of a purist emulation experience.

I have a new PI4 to go into my arcade cab but was thinking it it would be better to grab one of these instead to just do arcade games. I see that an SD RAM upgrade isnt required for that. Does that mean any arcade machine will not need it or will there be instances where it will be required for newer/more complicated machines to emulate perfectly?

Although it only has 1 x USB Port can a USB Hub be connected to that for my 2 x Arcade stick? I have been thinking of remaking the control board on the arcade into a single rather than 2 player but in case i dont i want the option to plug in both joysticks.

What front end does it use? Is it something i will have to build from scratch or are there some pre built like retropie/emulation station?

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Currently only 2 systems need the RAM - GBA and Neogeo. 32MB was the standard for a while but its becoming more likely that 128MB will just be the defacto requirement for some current and future cores. Its like £20 difference in cost.

Personally the difference between Mister and Retropi is considerable, the microlag is very evident on software based emulation as has been discussed a million times before. If you dont really care about that then Mister will be a bit pointless.

The hub would be required in your situation, but its worth pointing out that normal use you dont need it as everything can now be controlled by a single pad/joystick (you used to have to have a keyboard connected)

There is no frontend and tbh I dont miss it. Also bare in mind that we are getting CPS2 at some point, PSX will probably be out this year in beta and recently the Sega Saturn has started to be programmed (but very long way off and will no doubt lead to Naomi spinoff). Depends how much you care about all that as well I guess.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
sorry your correct theres a few more that you need. Honestly never really thought about it that much as always had the 32mb in the early days.

No worries, thought I might have missed some updates. I know the amount of cores that work without no SDRAM surprised me when I first saw that.

There is no frontend and tbh I dont miss it.

Do kind of agree with this. The simplicity and functional nature of the OS makes you concentrate on the games. Sure, it would be nice in the future to have more options but when I've played around with Raspberry Pi's or Emulation Station etc. it's easy to get bogged down in configuration and setup.

Soldato
Just got all my bits and realised most assembly guides have a heatsink on the DE10 board even if they run an I/O board on top with a fan. Do I really not need a heatsink there? I have the Noctua fan version of the I/O board.

Associate
Just got all my bits and realised most assembly guides have a heatsink on the DE10 board even if they run an I/O board on top with a fan. Do I really not need a heatsink there? I have the Noctua fan version of the I/O board.

If you've got the I/O board with active cooling then you should be OK without one but that can depend on the cores you run. 16 bit consoles should be fine but running Amiga consoles doing some intense processing may get the fpga quite hot.

For the cost of about 5 quid (should be much cheaper though) you can get one with the 3M tape on and just add it for peace of mind.

I ran mine without a heatsink for snes and genesis gaming and it was perfectly fine. I added one recently though when I took it apart and in theory it now runs cooler but I haven't proved that or done any tests.

Sorry that's not a very straight forward answer but nothing in IT ever is!!

Edit: this is a good post if you're interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fpgagaming..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

If your Mister is in a case then this will affect the temperatures as well but in my opinion active cooling should be good enough but for peace of mind just add a heatsink on when you can.

Soldato
Thanks yeah just ordered one along with a wifi USB stick to be sure. I'm itching to get it running now though so will run as is until it turns up.

The theypsilon update_all script didn't work for me and just failed to download everything for some reason. It is from July though so perhaps I'll just stick with the Mr Fusion method for now. Does the fusion way also grab all the roms etc automatically?

Back
Top Bottom