Mk3 Golf 1.4

Associate
danza said:
It is rather. But my '98 Astra 1.4 8 valve produces 45bhp iirc. It weighs exactly 1500kg. The thing is I was never able to find out as the exact engine number isn't in the manual, and the closest match I found was from a website in Germanland which quoted 45bhp...

I know what! Buy the Golf and we can race!!!

I had that Astra till a while ago. Truly slow but it weighs more like 1000kg - 1500kg is large saloon territory!

As for the power, its 45kW, which is just under 60hp. The 1.2 Corsa B had a 45hp engine, and is just as slower than the Astra.

Moeks said:
Really? ...that's a surprise, I'd have thought the Mondeo would be heavier than that, my Leon is over 1300kg if I recall correctly.

And the Mk3 1.4 Golf is heap of overpriced stodge if you ask me. Slow too.

Cars are getting heavier from generation to generation. If your Leon is a diesel it will be heavier still. 20 years ago most cars of a similar size to a Mondeo probably weighed around 1000kg, its all the electric goodies and safer construction (despite the increased use of lighter metals such as aluminium for engine components) that make modern cars so lardy.

Last edited:
Soldato
energy said:
Cars are getting heavier from generation to generation. If your Leon is a diesel it will be heavier still. 20 years ago most cars of a similar size to a Mondeo probably weighed around 1000kg, its all the electric goodies and safer construction (despite the increased use of lighter metals such as aluminium for engine components) that make modern cars so lardy.

Yea I know, still surprised me though to be honest. And yes my Leon is a diesel ...so it's got an oil powered anvil under the bonnet creating lots of that weight :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the posts guys, and MNuTz, Bill101, 172gus for the tips.

Im not interested in the Ryder at all, but just though Id say what spec trims there are in the group 6 range. To be honest, the difference between a group 6 and a group 8 is probably too much of a leap, but I will check it out. Power sterring would be a must as well, so dont worry.

Unfortuantly, the driver spec trim is pretty high, but despite that, I think I really should opt for a 1.6, as the 1.4 is now sounding abysmall. But a group 7 1.6 is a CL edition, which Ive been told by [TW]Fox is pretty bad. Then it gets more complciated.

Hmmm, well, Im really unsure now, but what alternatives can you suggest for similar money - like I said before though, try to keep it VW. Im not interested in anything Citroen, Seat, Pug... airbags is also quite important.

Man of Honour
Alu_ATC said:
Hmmm, well, Im really unsure now, but what alternatives can you suggest for similar money - like I said before though, try to keep it VW. Im not interested in anything Citroen, Seat, Pug... airbags is also quite important.

You don't like the Polo so other than the Golf there are no VW alternatives.

Caporegime
golf Jetta GTi.

maybe even an old Ibiza. my sister has a V reg for 2.5k (bought a year or two ago), been faultless, and quite nippy too, for a 1.4.

i too was interested ina golf Mk3 when i was buying my first car 14 months ago. i went for a Mazda 323F instead..better, faster, cheaper insurance

if u dont like ford, there are other alternatives, nissan for one.

Soldato
Alu_ATC said:
To be honest, the difference between a group 6 and a group 8 is probably too much of a leap, but I will check it out.

Do check it out and don't rule out a car just because it's two insruance groups higher. You could be surprised at how little of a difference it may make.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Next time I'll be sure to find a positive thing to say about 1.4 litre engines that develop 60bhp just to please you :)

Funnily enough you generalised all VW's are rubbish, 1.4 litre engines with 60bhp are pants, but so were most cars 10 years ago.

Associate
masterk said:
Funnily enough you generalised all VW's are rubbish, 1.4 litre engines with 60bhp are pants, but so were most cars 10 years ago.

Most 1.4's 10 years ago (and from before that) managed at least 70hp; Fiat Uno 1.4i.e.S (72hp), Renault 19 1.4 (80), Clio 1.4 (75 - same engine as 19 but with cat), Peugeot 106 1.4 (75), Nissan Micra 1.3 (83hp IIRC), Toyota Starlet 1.3 (80hp IIRC) those are all I can remember off hand... They all weigh significantly less than a Golf III, and were reasonably fast for what they were.

Cetainly faster than similarly powered 1.2s that seem to be the norm nowdays.

Associate
danza said:
It is rather. But my '98 Astra 1.4 8 valve produces 45bhp iirc. It weighs exactly 1500kg. The thing is I was never able to find out as the exact engine number isn't in the manual, and the closest match I found was from a website in Germanland which quoted 45bhp...

By the way... your engine code is C14NZ :)

There is a redeeming feature of this engine though... it does pull very well at low revs, feels more powerful than it is. In fact, pulled better at low engine speeds (<2000rpm) way better than the Mondeo 1.8 I drive now. Had nothing above 3500rpm though, might as well have been a diesel.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
I hate rubbish VW's and over-rated VW's

Lol - but that could be said for anything, 'I hate rubbish Ford's and over-rated Fords, I hate rubbish movies and over-rated movies, I hate rubbish resturants and over-rated restuarants' and so forth...

Your not going to be a fan of something that is rubbish or over-rated, but I guess your refering to the Mk3, you feel its rubbish and over rated - which is fair enough, thats why I made this thread, so I could have some input on the Mk3 Golf, so thank you for your posts - but there are many cars that are over-rated and / or rubbish.

I dont mind the Polo, infact, if I had a higher budget, I would prefer a Polo, but unfortuantly I dont.

Caporegime
MNuTz said:
Im sure the original poster said that he couldnt afford anything above a 1.4 so why are you all suggesting he goes for a bigger one?
because 2nd hand car prices are so variable. Its no like buying a new car where the next step up the ladder costs 2k more or whatever. With a 2nd hand car, you can get a slightly older one, maybe one in a less popular colour, maybe one with a few less gadgets, maybe one without a good service history but still with a warranty etc.. etc..

there are so many factors to the cost of a 2nd hand car, that they can all be jiggled about a bit to get you something better if you know what your looking for.

Soldato
By the way... your engine code is C14NZ

No, that's not the engine code on mine. I can't remember what it is, but it is one digit different to any C14XX in the manual. Its a C14 Something. Maybe a C14SZ. I can't remember which at the mo, and I can't be bothered to look now! But like you say it is quite torquey at low revs, but otherwise gutless. Poor thing.

So I can say first hand that there's almost nothing good about 1.4 60bhp engines in lardy cars. Or probably any cars for that matter.

Man of Honour
Alu_ATC said:
Lol - but that could be said for anything, 'I hate rubbish Ford's and over-rated Fords, I hate rubbish movies and over-rated movies, I hate rubbish resturants and over-rated restuarants' and so forth...

Exactly. My point was not that I hate all VW's, just the ones that are not very good or are over-rated :)

I'm quite a fan of the Bora, for example, in 1.8T form :)

Back
Top Bottom