MMO's - Whats coming?

Soldato
Haha, what happend to KKeeping the faith?

Black Prophecy should be pretty decent. I think it's gonna be ftp with an item shop.

yep

and good thing is, everything in the shop will be obtainable in game but it will just take a little longer to get which means if you have the time to invest you don't need to buy but if you don't you can buy which is great since.

Student - No Money & loads of free time
Employed - Money & Less Free Time.

thats the way I see it anyway, I'll end up buying stuff tho.

Associate
The MMO market is just stagnant at the moment. There hasn't been a good MMO for a long time. Innovation in the industry seems to have been killed off by the success of wow. Most of the innovation seems to be coming out of Asia at the moment, but if history is anything to go by - and it has repeated itself a lot of late in the MMO industry - these will prove to be hideous grind fests.

Soldato
Not gotten rid of them as such, from what I've read they've just tried to make them more realistic, rather than some static toon with a light above his head giving out kill ten rats quests. They're talking a lot about actions having genuine impact on the game world too, but I'll believe it when I see it happen.

Associate
Im currently downloading the global agenda demo on steam looks decent enough, anyone on here play it can tell me what it is like cos it is a big download.

Did you ever try Tabula Rasa? It's like that but worse, but then again isn't it free to play after buying the client?

To be honest I didn't give it much of a chance, other people's mileage may vary. I really want there to be a successful fps mmog that really gets the shooting/twitch aspect right but since the reasonably short lived heyday of Planetside there hasn't been any, that I've tried anyway.

Soldato
There's a massive game-changing patch coming out for GA.

4 phases apparently, first phase is out today, think I'll fire it up this weekend.

Man of Honour
And If would want innovation, guild wars 2 have gotten rid of quests. Seems pretty innovative to me :D

Not really, UO didnt have quests and it was released 13 years ago :D

Damnit...will someone make UO2 for crying out loud. Yes yes...I know it wouldnt do well these days as the type of people who play MMOs now has changed so much since the UO days and most modern MMO'ers wouldnt cope with UOs playstyle...but at least several thousand of the ex-UO crowd would play and thats enough for me :D

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Damnit...will someone make UO2 for crying out loud. Yes yes...I know it wouldnt do well these days as the type of people who play MMOs now has changed so much since the UO days and most modern MMO'ers wouldnt cope with UOs playstyle...but at least several thousand of the ex-UO crowd would play and thats enough for me :D

I would change "wouldn't cope" to "don't like". I found UO to be completely and utterly tedious. And several thousand ex-UO people aren't really enough to make a modern MMO viable.

Caporegime
I will do what I always do in these threads, cling to the hope that "Everquest: Next" will be half-decent.

I'm totally setting myself up for huge disappointment :p

Man of Honour
I would change "wouldn't cope" to "don't like". I found UO to be completely and utterly tedious. And several thousand ex-UO people aren't really enough to make a modern MMO viable.

Well I did say "most" people wouldnt cope, rather than "all" people wouldnt cope. :D

(most people wouldnt cope because of such things as no quests, no l33t "purple" items, no raiding, no instancing etc, not just the things like losing your gear on death and being pked etc , so many people seem to get terribly lost and confused if they arent told what to do and are required to set their own agendas. (one of the reasons I think why theme park mmos are more popular than sandbox mmos))

Yeah I know several thousand arent enough to make a modern MMO viable, but like I say, just several thousand would be enough for me. Thats pretty much all I play with on Daoc and thats the most MMO fun I have currently, so its more than enough for me in a potential UO2. :)

Soldato
Not really, UO didnt have quests and it was released 13 years ago :D

This I would love.

Most MMO'ers wouldn't know pure skill PvP games if it hit them in the face. Just gimme Europa with either Pre/Pub 16 and the player base it had and my days of gaming would be complete.

Man of Honour
MMOs need much more user created quests. rather than spamming the chat to find someone to do a task for you. Place a job advert instead. Computer quests should be few and far between and mainly there as a orientation to teh game to give you a l8ittle knowledge and money to start with. Some try to pull this off but just fail.

Last edited:
Caporegime
MMOs need much more user created quests. rather than spamming the chat to find someone to do a task for you. Place a job advert instead. Computer quests should be few and far between and mainly there as a orientation to teh game to give you a l8ittle knowledge and money to start with.

I think what we need is less self-sufficiency. More of an eco system. High-level players should really be looking to low level players to provide basic materials, etc.

Obviously this works even if you don't have levels at all. But I'm hugely in favour of requiring (or at least heavily rewarding) the creation of interdependence, where players need to work together and help each other out.

You can do this simply by allowing people to trade with each other; I don't think you need to formalise this into user-generated content land. Actually I'm not a huge fan of user-gen content.

It's like saying that what the next Stephen King novel really needs is for more chapters that aren't written by him but by some fan instead.

Man of Honour
I agree on economy, but disagree on user created content.

Especially if you are a crafter, you want user created stuff. It adds realism to the game and of course uniqueness.

Thing is MMO are not like a book or normal game, they are not meant to be written, they are meant to go in what ever direction the sum of the users take it.

Soldato
You want MMOs to be something they are not. Reality is way different to your dream. Not even EvE or WoW are anywhere remotely like your ideals, nor are the old popular ones like Camelot or Ultima.

The nearest thing would be Star Wars Galaxies and that was a pile of steaming turd...

Back
Top Bottom