Mobile flash is dead

Soldato
Good news. I have no problem with flash being used for things like film players on desktop grade browser implementations (though proper HTML5 would be preferable throughout oc). But flash on current mobile platforms just doesn't work!

No matter what browser I use ANY flash content in on my Galaxy S it works so slowly that the page takes seconds to respond to me moving it around, it's simply not good enough. Whether they could have improved this by better using PowerVR "GPUs" in these devices I don't know, but this is the best way forward.

Soldato
lol, that really doesn't tell the full story does it. You can't even send MMS from the original iPhone, not for any technical reason, just because they strip out key features of each release of IOS for older models. Plus, you actually try using iOS5 on an original iPhone.

Also what are those handsets? Where is the HTC Desire or the Galaxy S, probably the two most popular Android handsets in Europe and ones that are actually comparable to the iPhone.

Very misleading article, but deliberately so. Certainly one that naive Apple owners will lap up though.

Just scimmed this - so it's not like Google don't support older phones is it...?

Oh wait...they don't. Unless you want some hacked version.

Soldato
Good news. I have no problem with flash being used for things like film players on desktop grade browser implementations (though proper HTML5 would be preferable throughout oc). But flash on current mobile platforms just doesn't work!

No matter what browser I use ANY flash content in on my Galaxy S it works so slowly that the page takes seconds to respond to me moving it around, it's simply not good enough. Whether they could have improved this by better using PowerVR "GPUs" in these devices I don't know, but this is the best way forward.

If you use flash on the GS2 its no different to not having it on it really is that smooth, you can't really say its bad when running it on a older phone its going to be.

Man of Honour
Not surprised at all, the writing was on the wall for a few years. The turnover to html5 has been phenomenal and fast, since the release of the iPad and with windows phone/tablet is the final nail in the coffin. Especially since adobe released their html5 program.

I expect non mobile flash to decline as well. Why make two version when html5 runs on everything.

not really, there's still a metric ass-ton of video content still using flash and i can't see that changing any time soon

B@
Just because there are flash versions, doesn't mean they are only available in flash. Just look at YouTube implementation.
iirc 60% of Internet videos were already available in html5 in early 2010.
It's been amazing to see how much actually works on the iPad and few sites use flash already, which is why it wasn't a major issue. Now the last few majour site dragglers will now swap.

Last edited:
Soldato
But flash on current mobile platforms just doesn't work!

It does work on current mobile platforms, even my old Desire HD runs pretty well with flash on screen and plays 720p youtube videos without issue. Flash on tablet is excellent too.

Your phone is too old.

Back
Top Bottom