Mobile Me

Associate
Personally using Google Mail / Contacts / Calendar and they all sync perfectly.

There's several free options for file syncing too, meaning it's just Find my iPhone and bookmark syncing that Mobile Me has. But Firefox are supposedly working on an app for the latter (assuming it will use Mobile Safari to render pages to get past the App Store).

There was also recently a rumour MobileMe might end up free...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

In fairness to Tunney, I use Dropbox over my iDisk. That thing is slow as a mo' fo'.

Also worth mentioning (that I didn't before) that I've regularly used "Find my iPhone". I even have MobileMe on my wife's iPhone, but have all the options except Find my iPhone turned off, so she doesn't get my email/calendars/contacts but there is security if she ever loses her phone + it can be handy if you want to find out where she is :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I have it.

It's way to overpriced for what it is. You can do most of it free with Gmail and Dropbox, but I just like all the integration.

Caporegime
In fairness to Tunney, I use Dropbox over my iDisk. That thing is slow as a mo' fo'.

Also worth mentioning (that I didn't before) that I've regularly used "Find my iPhone". I even have MobileMe on my wife's iPhone, but have all the options except Find my iPhone turned off, so she doesn't get my email/calendars/contacts but there is security if she ever loses her phone + it can be handy if you want to find out where she is :cool:

Does it still work if my iPhone is on orange payg?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Does it still work if my iPhone is on orange payg?

I can't see why it wouldn't.

Just add a new mail account, type in your MobileMe details, then go to "Advanced" account settings and turn all the sliders off apart from "Find my iPhone".

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Question - There are various ones on ebay, some says 20G ? and some from the US or Australia. Does it matter what country it is from?

I bought a US retail box off ebay for £35. So long as you aren't buying a renewal pack you should be fine.

Associate
It tracks my iphone whether I have my UK contract sim card in or my German PAYG. Maybe it is by IMEI or something similar? (I'm clueless about it tbh :p)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

how does it track the iphone and ipad exactly? the sim card?

It uses the data connection (& Wi-FI if you're on a known network) to send a GPS co-ordinate to the MobileMe servers.

if i was to get one from ebay would i need to pay anything else ? beside the cost from ebay ?

Nothing. You simply enter the authorisation code on Me.com and it activate the 12 month subscription / or renews.

Soldato

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

When you activate a renewal, it doesn't start at that time.. instead it starts when your original date is meant to end (so there's no overlap).

If that makes sense :p I'd be happy if it goes free, but honestly I get enough out of it to keep paying anyway.

Man of Honour
It's a lovely service if you just want a simple life, my email, contacts, calendar are synced with no effort between my machines, my phone and are available online too. No hassle, all built in. For £70 a year I'll take that myself. The only direct equivalent in my view for ease of use and functionality is an exchange server...(I'll pass for my personal email myself...)

Yeah it could be done for free with various tools but I can't be bothered with the hassle for £70 (And I don't like gmail and never have, which is something of a problem given it's the obvious alternative).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

£70 is a maximum too, as stated it regularly goes for cheaper online (much like Xbox Live subscriptions)

Back
Top Bottom