1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moblie Speed Guns.

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Stinky, 5 Feb 2006.

1. Stinky

Sgarrista

hi all

most of you will know about my stupid mistake :( but i have been told by alot of poeple that mobile speed guns can only be used in day light.

is there any web page on this?? i cant seem to find anything

2. Mic

Mobster

Nope, iv seen plenty at night.

3. Stinky

Sgarrista

guess there where wrong then :(

4. DannyDan

Mobster

They used speed guns all the time at night around here. I think it's just certain types of mobile speed cameras that cant be used at night.

5. benjo plz.

Capodecina

They work by radar. Whats going to stop radar working at night? (yes that's a no).

6. Stinky

Sgarrista

please dont be ***** with me. i was only asking a question. its what i was told by others thats all

7. benjo plz.

Capodecina

meh, think about it tbh. ;)

8. Stinky

Sgarrista

i thought it sounded stupid but hey..... just thought i would check with you lot ;)

9. DannyDan

Mobster

Have you been over to 5ive-o.org and pepipoo.com? They give out a lot of useful advice with regards to speeding prosecutions.

Although I believe being pulled over by the police isn't good in terms of being able to get off lightly :(

10. Dogbreath

Capodecina

The large majority of hand held speed guns are laser. Mobile radar is mostly limited to mini-gatso, which is certainly not hand held.

In answer to your question, nothing stops either technology working at night, the main issue is (or rather was) in the recording vehicles number plates which is more difficult at night.

11. Enfield

Soldato

Whilst we're on the topic of speed guns...

I've heard that the laser speed gun can't be used when it's raining. Is this true?

12. benjo plz.

Capodecina

meh, there are plenty of radar speed guns.
    Its possible, it would depend on the amount of rain, but if it's heavy enough, it's likely to confuse the gun. Probably wouldn't work in snow either.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2006
  13. Hixxy

PermaBanned

if it was a laser wouldnt it be harder to aim at a flat surface in the dark?

14. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Dunno, haven't tried, but theres a difference between a fault with the system and a fault with the operator. If the roads got streetlights etc, probably not no, but if its a dark country lane, yes, but then again only a ******* nutcase would be speeding down a country lane in the dark.

15. Lowe

Soldato

Precipitation reduce the accuracy and the range of the gun. Most guns aren't home office approved in bad weather. Some newer guns available will be though...