Mobo bundle advice please

Associate
Hi,
I need to get a new motherboard/memory/processor.
I am not much of a gamer, it will be used mainly for modeling/physics syms
Reading various threads, I was thinking of either an AMD 12 core or intel 10 core. 32 GB memory, and a motherboard that is not Asus

Budget around 1500.

TIA.

Man of Honour
With your budget you could easy get a 5950x 16 core , x570 motherboard and 32 or 64gb of memory. You would also need a decent cpu cooler.

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,270.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Could drop the spec if its overkill for ypur needs to 5900x and 32gb of memory.

Associate
OP
Hi, thanks for the reply.
What cooler would be needed for that?
Also, I forgot, I will need a new case, not one with lights, just good space/cooling. (I have extra budget for case)

Associate
OP
I do not need wifi. Is that the only difference?

A possible issue? Will I need to update the mobo bios to use the AMD 5xxx?. Would I need a previous gen AMD processor to update the bios if it is needed?

Soldato
Forget Intels for multithreaded stuff and really anything performance demanding.
Their real max power draw/heat output under full all core load is at landfill fire level, while not able to match the performance of AMDs.

Even £150 level B550 board would be enough for any Ryzen.
For X570 MXI X570 Tomahawk is excellent.

Alpenfohn Brocken 3 would be good cooler especially for price.
Alpenfohn Brocken 3 CPU Cooler - 140mm= £42.95
Older cases might not have enough room for its height, but almost every current case can take it.

Soldato
I do not need wifi. Is that the only difference?

A possible issue? Will I need to update the mobo bios to use the AMD 5xxx?. Would I need a previous gen AMD processor to update the bios if it is needed?
The majority of decent B550 / x570 come with flashback feature which allows you to update the bios without even needing a CPU installed. Both tomahawks have this.

Man of Honour
Hi, thanks for the reply.
What cooler would be needed for that?
Also, I forgot, I will need a new case, not one with lights, just good space/cooling. (I have extra budget for case)
Case will fit ang large air cooler and i specced a 280mm aio cooler that will fit top or front.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £206.64 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the replies/help.

One more question if I may?
Updating the bios on the Tomahawk. Is that straight forward? I am not into complicated these days. I always worry about flashing bios, I tend to keep seeing bricks.

Back
Top Bottom