Modding: Tips, Guides and Tutorials

Soldato
OP
Thanks Tealc!! excellent posts

There ya go Colin!

If anyone has any specific questions about leds/resistors/electric goodies, feel free to ask questions, and hopefully Tealc will be able to answer them, maybe even with a little guide to help you along!

Associate
Great stuff guys. Do you know of some tutorials for sleeving your own cables, e.g. Things like fan cables etc in paracord? Im about to start a new build and thinking about the fact i want to try get some colour coordination going!

Associate
Great work on this David, everything in one place and easy to find. I'll be sure to document any future mods so they can be added to this, most of the time I am too engrossed working on a project and forget the camera.

Working on a super cheep ardunio based rgb led controller to make use of the dirt cheap rgb led's off the bay. But with a way to control them from within windows for more control and effects.

Just need to find a good arduino based board that is dirt cheap for it so works out better value than the pre-made kits. Thinking the trinket dev board (£5).

Associate
I'm going to be re-sleeving the cables in my build, i thought about posting a guide of how i do it and what techniques i've learned. What do you guys think? I know there are guides already on here but 1 more can't hurt surely? ;)

Associate
I'm going to be re-sleeving the cables in my build, i thought about posting a guide of how i do it and what techniques i've learned. What do you guys think? I know there are guides already on here but 1 more can't hurt surely? ;)

Id love to see that mate. Even if dave does one too i think the more the better as people have different methods and use different materials so do it man!

Associate
Guide to SLI Bridge Mod

Ok this is a quick guide how to strip down an EVGA Sli bridge. I have done this as I found painting mine very tricky, therefore I've dismantled my small one to show you it is possible. Also a few of you had asked whilst I was doing Primo Midas if it was possible.

OYPCEFO.png

What you will need...

1. A heatgun, or hair dryer.
2. A small hobby knife.
3. Most important, a T6 torque screwdriver.
4. Some double sided tape or similar.

Steps

Using your T6 torque screwdriver, remove the two screws on the back and separate the two halves.

r9urv4j.jpg

RA9HWOH.jpg

qAiEHQK.jpg

Next use your heatgun to gently heat the metal tabs, you don't need a lot of heat. Then using your knife gently prise up from one corner to separate the metal from the top, try not to force it too much or you will bend the metal. Just apply a wee bit more heat so that the glue will more readily give.

93fnbiU.jpg

Once it comes free you can easily lift it off with your finger

62FfMHf.jpg

71SBt5d.jpg

This is how you should end up at this stage. For reference the small plastic EVGA logo will prise off very easily with your knife should you want to.

l790SR3.jpg

Now you need to remove the glue backing from the underside of the tabs.

tUFQTDi.jpg

Tease it off with your finger, kinda roll it over itself until its all off.

qea03Vi.jpg

Once the underside looks like this you can then do what you wish to the tabs either spray painting or carbon wrap or whatever you are planning. Once you have sprayed your metal tabs and they are dry (if you painted them), simply cut some of your double sided tape and apply to the underside taking care to cut out the slots. I don't have any tape so I've just coloured in black where you should apply your tape.

xuQyNmz.jpg

Now just simply reattach your modified tabs to the top and then screw the top and bottom halves back together. Hey presto you are all done. :D As you can see I removed my dodgy gold paint job ;)

nUHbJF0.jpg

R8HJhmx.jpg

Also for the more adventurous I tried changing the colour that you see through the EVGA logo using coloured plastic gels, the kinda used by in large stage lighting. However the stuff I found did not provide a good enough colour and I decided not to use it. The LED's themselves look to hard to change for me tbh.

For reference I also split my triple sli bridge that's in Midas to see if the colour changed much but my plastic doesn't really give a good effect. but just so you can see what I mean here's a pic. If the likes of Parvum had some off cuts they'd maybe make them to fit this ;)

1thQRqj.jpg

sSNsDVv.jpg

Anyway guys its very easy so don't try taping the bridge up with masking tape to paint it, just follow those steps and you'll get a much nicer finish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Those LEDs in the sli bridge look to be 0603. You can probably replace them with 0804 or 1206 at a push. 1206 are easy enough to solder with a fairly steady hand.

Associate
Go for it MorleySA

Id love to see that mate. Even if dave does one too i think the more the better as people have different methods and use different materials so do it man!

Ok, i'm waiting on my sleeve from Nils i'll get started on this as soon as it arrives :D

I like your guide on the EVGA bridge, i might have to do a one for my build in white! :D

Associate
Ok, i'm waiting on my sleeve from Nils i'll get started on this as soon as it arrives :D

I like your guide on the EVGA bridge, i might have to do a one for my build in white! :D

That would look great in white, I bought some double tape today so going to just add that to the guide tomorrow probably.

To clarify, you don't actually have to split bridge to remove the metal tabs I just did it for a complete strip down and if anyone has a go at changing these LED's.
Tealc if you can do that LED mod you must have great eyes and steady hands ! I'm going to check out those LED's you mentioned, I'd love to change mine to yellow/amber.

Back
Top Bottom