monday madness!

Permabanned
No offence but it sounds like you need to learn some IT basics.

Your whole day, sounds a mess. I couldnt see you being much value to the company. You plugged a router in, without changing/checking the settings?

Did you not bother to check basic things like DHCP were turned off? Its no suprise it "killed" your works network.

:(

Permabanned
geeza said:
image all the pcs and have pre configed routers. far easier!

Thats how it works at our configuration centre. All the machines are imaged to a customer/consultant specfication. Cisco etc router configs are supplied again by customers/consultants.

Configuration tends to be a holding pen for younger staff, until its worked out where they are going within the company.

Suspended
just imaged 25pc's over the past 2 days. Now just need to label them on the network and do a few small things like turn off auto archive in outlook and add shortcuts

Permabanned
geeza said:
just imaged 25pc's over the past 2 days. Now just need to label them on the network and do a few small things like turn off auto archive in outlook and add shortcuts

Bah

Try 50+ a day. Im sure thats what a girl in config was doing for a french car company last year. Mostly on her own :p

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
Oblivious said:
No offence but it sounds like you need to learn some IT basics.

Your whole day, sounds a mess. I couldnt see you being much value to the company. You plugged a router in, without changing/checking the settings?

Did you not bother to check basic things like DHCP were turned off? Its no suprise it "killed" your works network.

:(

excuse me. why are you getting so hostile? I just mentioned some of the stuff i do. They're not on a daily basis, its just some of the things i do. I need to 'learn some IT basics.lol. If i cared at your opinion i'd be touched but lucky for you it really does not bother me. Hope you have a good day.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
jdickerson said:
At some uni's, IT is seperate from Comp. Sci...
What does an IT degree cover then? My degree was entitled 'computing' and taught SQL and touched on ASP and I thought that was quite far removed from Comp Sci.

Soldato
Duke said:
Was going to say exactly the same thing :)

System restore has saved my butt a few times to be honest, not that I want to defend it but... you know....

NOTHING beats a good backup though. Ever. This lesson I have learnt hard... unfortunately not hard enough as I relearn it every year or so.. but now I have no cdrw/dvdrw/anything to backup on to.... enter my usb hd.

Suspended
Oblivious said:
Bah

Try 50+ a day. Im sure thats what a girl in config was doing for a french car company last year. Mostly on her own :p

a. its boring
b. i didnt even have to do the 25 in 2 days
c. i do other things other than just image computers

looks like she wins (cack job though just imaging) :p

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
jdickerson said:
At some uni's, IT is seperate from Comp. Sci...

yes i built an intranet. and i do know sql but not as to the lengths i'd like. I havent done any asp. I'd like to learn. Remember a final project such as my intranet is design and if you can built. fortunatley i done both but the main focus for me was the documentation to ensure i knew everything about the research, requirements, design, build and deployment/implementation. I used a bit of perl, zope and the old dreamweaver.

Lex

Lex

Associate
OP
Bes said:
What does an IT degree cover then? My degree was entitled 'computing' and taught SQL and touched on ASP and I thought that was quite far removed from Comp Sci.

varies. I done c++, java and vb. Asp was available but i didnt opt for that. computer courses vary as you can choose roughly what you want to focus on. my focus was not on asp. i done sql and relational database management but i still would like to focus more on this. think i need to get myself a good book on sql and asp. any suggestions?

Permabanned
geeza said:
a. its boring
b. i didnt even have to do the 25 in 2 days
c. i do other things other than just image computers

looks like she wins (cack job though just imaging) :p

In here defence, she did a lot of other work too, and had time to natter and have a laugh. Imaging isnt hard, out the box and on the shelf, plug in network cable etc... wait... Done. :p

Imagining on its own would be a very cack job for them to do. But our configuration has a high-turnover of staff. Moving on to other jobs in the company, like I said its a holding pen really.

Back
Top Bottom