Mondeo 2.2 TDCI ST or Vectra 1.9 CDTI SRI

Soldato
Is it the face lifted vectra the op is on about or the pre face lift model?

Imo if its a face lifted vectra I would take that simply because I prefer the way it looks. If it isn't then Mondeo all the way.

TBH this is one of those try both and see which you prefer situations again (As most are).

Both are good cars (taking into account that its a face lift vectra) and both have excellent engines.

The ford arguably has the better interior (or at least the better looking interior) but once again this is personal preference.

To be honest if it was my choice I would take a Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI Elegance over the lot but meh thats just me.

Associate
Is the current Mondeo not reaching the end of it's lifespan?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the new version will soon be with us :confused:

If so, then may not be the best time to buy a new one..Although that said, 14K ish for a 6 month old one is a cracking deal imo.

Soldato
Im glad someone made this thread, because if they didn't i would have :)

I'm going to be watching closely! :)

thanks

greg

Soldato
New Mondeo is due in 2007, but there won't be an equivalent model to the ST TDCi until a while after that. The biggest diesel Ford are using in their new models up to now is the 2.0 138BHP which is shared with Peugeot and Citroen. They do have a 2.7 TD but the cost of that makes it unsuitable for anything costing less than £25k - even Jaguar won't put it in the X-Type. They could continue using the current 2.2 but it's all about numbers and 155BHP won't be that impressive for a 2.2 in a couple of years time. Another option would be the 2.4 D5 used by Volvo which is 180BHP. The 5 pot Volvo 2.5 Turbo Petrol is available in the Focus ST and the S-Max which is based on the new Mondeo platform, so its a possibility they would use the diesel version but there is nothing concrete as yet.

Soldato
blueboy2001 said:
The Titainium X only gets ST bumpers and front wings. It doesn't have the rear spoiler, lightweight alloy wheels, quicker steering rack, nor the ST suspension setup which are what sets the car apart from a "normal" Mondeo, so you don't really get the best bits of the ST.

They are completely different engines. The PSA 2.2 is a belt driven engine with balancer shafts and is fitted with a particle filter. The Ford engine is a bored out version of the 2.0 with a stronger crank and uprated clutch and flywheel. Ford use the same block on the Transit engines which are available up to 2.4L.

I used to have a 2.2 C5 and it was thirsty for a TD - struggled to get 40MPG really. It also has a very peaky torque curve so it's not that fast under hard acceleration. The only minor benefit over the Ford is that it is quieter when cold. Beware that early versions of the PSA 2.2 need the particle filter doing every 50k and the special fuel additive filling up which costs about £500.

Thanks blueboy I always like to keep a watch on these threads as my Xantia replacement is likely to be Mondeo Estate, Late Xantia HDI Estate, C5 Estate or a Van! My old girl is doing well but the heater matrix is just starting to leak, the clutch is heavy and she very occasionally overheats slightly when stuck in traffic in very hot weather so my eyes are beginning to wander!

Associate
Greg said:
Im glad someone made this thread, because if they didn't i would have :)

I'm going to be watching closely! :)

thanks

greg

Yeah likewise...I am in a similar quandry at the moment..

Currently have a company Vectra, gonna take the allowance instead, was looking at PCP but have now decided against that.

Have about £15k to play with..Although less would be better!

Option 1: BMW 330Ci about 3/4 yrs old with average miles.

Option 2: Mondeo ST TDCi 6 months old low miles.

Both will be worth about 6/7k I should imagine 3 years from now, so no real difference there. Both to be replaced with new versions as well. Lower costs re insurance etc with the Ford. But the BMW is the better overall car.

Tis a quandry :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
djjuk said:
Yeah likewise...I am in a similar quandry at the moment..

Currently have a company Vectra, gonna take the allowance instead, was looking at PCP but have now decided against that.

Have about £15k to play with..Although less would be better!

Option 1: BMW 330Ci about 3/4 yrs old with average miles.

Option 2: Mondeo ST TDCi 6 months old low miles.

Both will be worth about 6/7k I should imagine 3 years from now, so no real difference there. Both to be replaced with new versions as well. Lower costs re insurance etc with the Ford. But the BMW is the better overall car.

Tis a quandry :confused:

I'd like to be able to ditch my company car (actually a personal lease, so no tax), but my employer stipulates that the car must be a diesel, less than 5 years old, and have a boot at least as big as a Vectra. By the time you factor in 25K miles p.a. and an allowance of less than £300pcm, it can't really be done.

Associate
clockworks said:
I'd like to be able to ditch my company car (actually a personal lease, so no tax), but my employer stipulates that the car must be a diesel, less than 5 years old, and have a boot at least as big as a Vectra. By the time you factor in 25K miles p.a. and an allowance of less than £300pcm, it can't really be done.

Yeah it can be difficult, I have worked out that I will have about £350 a month to play with if I take the allowance, & that includes the tax saving.

Luckily we don't have any stipulations re personal car choice if you do opt out. It is nice having a company car, no concerns re ins, maint or anything..But I have had enough of driving a 1.8 Vectra :mad: And I've only got another one to look forward to when it needs changing unless I get promoted..

Soldato
OP
Right Everyone:

I have had a look at both cars although I didn't have a chance to drive them today and will be test driving on Monday and Tuesday. I will give a brief summary and do a better review after I drive them next week.

1) Ford Mondeo ST TDCI (2005)

Looks very nice, especially in silver, lovely interior, well made, feels nice and solid overall and ideal motorway mileage muncher. You feel somewhat more special in the Mondeo than the Vectra

2) Vauxhall Vectra SRI CDTI (150bhp) (2005 pre facelift)

Looks ok, average interior which is comfortable and well made, nice and solid and a decent motorway mileage muncher. Cloth interior, smaller wheels (17s).

The vectra sri is available with leather interior and if necessary i could look at an elite version with leather and satnav. It also has 20,000 mile serivce intervals

3) Summary (From Initial Preview)

The mondeo looks nicer, feels more sporty a bit quicker and imo is probably the better car. However I would be able to get the vectra for £3,000 less than the Mondeo for an SRi and £2,000 less for an Elite. After a few calcualtions on serivce costs, tyres etc the vectra is marginally cheaper to run.

Obviously the lower purchase price is refelcted in the specification and depreciation but at the moment is a valuable saving.

So on cost alone the vectra is leading the way. In my situation, as this will be a motorway muncher the cost is a prime factor.

I am yet to drive the cars so I may change my mind. I am also yet to test the fuel economy.

Soldato
I hope you do go for the ST - it's far superior to the Vectra in lots and lots of ways, plus it looks a lot better :p

The Mondeo will be worth a fair bit more than the Vectra when you come to selling it, depending on how long you plan on keeping it, too.

Back
Top Bottom