Mondeo 2.2 TDCI ST or Vectra 1.9 CDTI SRI

Soldato
I've got a 55 plate 2005.5 5 Door in Panther Black. Nice car to drive, resonably quick and very very good at motor way crusing. I got over 55MPG average on a 300 mile journey, including getting stuck on the M1, M25 and M3. Comes with plenty of goodies, including cruise control, a decent Sony headunit, electric eveything, heated seats etc. Mine also came with the electric seats, and had Xenons and the 5 Spoke 18" wheels.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it, I've done 13,500 miles in just over 9months, and have also had the wear on the inside of the fronts. Rotated the tyres to get a bit longer out of the set and then will slap something like Toyo T1S or simliar on it.

Also toying with the Bluefin idea...just to add a little more poke. BTW the car has 400nm of torque when you boot it in any gear over 2nd almost the same as a stock 330d. In gear it doesn't feel that different to my old 330d (204).

I've cleaned it today so might stick a photo up tomorrow :) as the 2005.5 with the revised body kit, lights and chrome etc loots very nice in black.

Steve

Soldato
There's always the Vectra 3.0 V6 CDTi SRi to consider too?.

A bit of a rare beast, but well worth seeking out. I'm going for one in about 8 weeks time depending on whether Network Q come up with what I'm looking for on their "search" for one in the spec I want.

And yeah, Foxy.......I have to apologise and say that I'm still a Vectra fanboi, despite your valid points on the pros and cons of the car m8. ;)

Soldato
djjuk said:
How does it compare in general to your previous 330d Steve?

Can't make my mind up between a slightly older BM, or the Mondeo..

Mine was a 2003 204BHP model which for most things was really good. Engine is a gem, the stereo is the worst standard fit I think I've ever come across and the dealers have no comprehension of what Customer Service is...

To drive it was probabaly better than the mondeo, but that was mainly down to the intial thump from the 50BHP advantage and the 75+ when I had the tuning box fitted. It always seemed to be geared to long for the UK with 6th just not doing much until over 80, unlike the mondeo which is almost perfect with good pulling power from 50-60 in 6th.

Build quality there is probabaly not a great deal in it, space the mondeo has it trumped hands down, not only for passengers but for lugging junk round as well.

Steve

Soldato
OP
Draeger said:
There's always the Vectra 3.0 V6 CDTi SRi to consider too?.

A bit of a rare beast, but well worth seeking out. I'm going for one in about 8 weeks time depending on whether Network Q come up with what I'm looking for on their "search" for one in the spec I want.

And yeah, Foxy.......I have to apologise and say that I'm still a Vectra fanboi, despite your valid points on the pros and cons of the car m8. ;)

They aren't too uncommon tbh but the fuel economy isn't so hot @ 40mpg.

Soldato
OP
adwhitworth said:
I'm not really a fan of the 3.0 V6 CDTi. It's not that economical and my 2.5 TDI has better performance.

Its also cheaper to buy a 150ps cdti and chip it for better performance whilst retaining happy happy fuel economy over the 3.0 V6.

However after trying to get some sensible prices on the vectra, it appears I have underestimated how much VX don't want to sell cars at the moment. Guess they are having some good months and hitting targets.

Caporegime
Draeger said:
I have to apologise and say that I'm still a Vectra fanboi, despite your valid points on the pros and cons of the car m8. ;)

That you have to apologise for being what you are, sums up, to me, your obsession.
Get some treatment mate. ;) :p :D

Soldato
mrk1@1 said:
Its also cheaper to buy a 150ps cdti and chip it for better performance whilst retaining happy happy fuel economy over the 3.0 V6.

However after trying to get some sensible prices on the vectra, it appears I have underestimated how much VX don't want to sell cars at the moment. Guess they are having some good months and hitting targets.

If you're looking at dealership prices then they can always be knocked down. :)

Man of Honour
adwhitworth said:
If you're looking at dealership prices then they can always be knocked down. :)

I get the impression he has been trying to do this and has been less than impressed with the extent to which they are prepared to knock down :)

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
I get the impression he has been trying to do this and has been less than impressed with the extent to which they are prepared to knock down :)

Yep, Tried my local ones who don't have them in stock and they can order from Vauxhall directly (ex management cars) but they won't budge on price. I need to find a dealer who has one in stock at a sensible price to haggle. Problem is I didn't want to go travelling too much. After looking on the Network Q site, Banbury/Oxford and Taunton seem to be at realistic prices.

I am disapointed in my local dealers cause I know they buy them at bottom book. Both mondeos and vectras are well behind book at the moment becuase of the discounts offered on new.

My Astra SRi I got in 2001 I knocked £1800 off the screen price and my Corsa 1.8 SRi I got in Feb I knocked £1200 off the screen price both from Hartwell in Southampton, however these are only stocked with the 120s atm.

Last time I went down to Sewards (local dealerships) to look at a Corsa SRi with a glass's guide valuation they basically told me to wee off. So I did and went and got my 172.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Do the same again and get an ST :)

Will see where we get to tomorrow after the test drive with ford. They have a nice Focus RS up as well. Some jobs have just come up locally to me at Bournemouth Council over the weekend, that I am applying for. Be sweet to get one as I wouldn't need the car for the mileage so could get a mint daily drive. However I am working on the assumption I need to. If nothing turns up then the closest consultants other than my current employers, to me are Eastleigh (28 miles). I would ideally like to get a bit closer to home.

Actually I really hate sewards, as they do the "don't worry about the list price spiel its how much can you afford per month". They were laying the hard sell down on a lady yesterday, but she was having none of it.

Me = 1) Haggle the list price down to what your happy with then 2) haggle the finance down based on the lowered list price. 4% flat rate, yea you go and cry to your boss.

Permabanned
And they'll just laugh in your face!

A group such as Sewards (largest franchise in the SOUTH) absolutely WILL NOT drop anymore than £1 - £1.5k below screen price, and they certainly won't budge on finance figures.

TBH, not many dealers will move on price massively now. You are far better buying the same car privately. If its a similar age then you'll still have a warranty to fall back on if things go wrong!

Soldato
OP
Oracle said:
And they'll just laugh in your face!

A group such as Sewards (largest franchise in the SOUTH) absolutely WILL NOT drop anymore than £1 - £1.5k below screen price, and they certainly won't budge on finance figures.

TBH, not many dealers will move on price massively now. You are far better buying the same car privately. If its a similar age then you'll still have a warranty to fall back on if things go wrong!

Rover 75 Driver TBH ;) :p

Yea, it depends on timing, end of the month, targets etc, but Sewards are just tight. Some of their forecourt prices are rediculous atm e.g. 7.5 k for a ex demo corsa 1.0. Its what happens when there is an endless supply of retired people with spare cash in the local conurbation.

Soldato
OllyM said:
Just because something has a Ford badge on it doesn't mean it's a disaster. On the flip side, just because something has a VW badge on it doesn't mean it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Let's face it, the VW badge is hardly hugely upmarket. Audi, yes, but not VW.

My monitor has a ford badge ontop of it.........its still a piece of crap. ;)

Found that at the garage the other night. Gonna make my bike a ford.

/end ot

I love the look of the St mondys.....the passat(the new shape one i guess?) looks like its trying too hard to be a phaetom or whatever its called.

Associate
I apologise for not reading the whole thread but its loooong! I drive titanium x and vectra 150 CDTI's back to back almost every day. I have to say there isnt much between them to be honest. In our garage we have 5000 mile vectra 55 plates with sat nav (which is a great system) and 10000 mile titanium x 55 plates both for £13295 both are cars which are great for loads of miles

I have done long trips in each of them and the titanium x is the more comfortable car although the vectra's sat nav is the best fitted system ive used.

The only STTDCI was one i brought in from another branch for a customer and i didnt think it was worth the £1700 price premium over the better specced titanium X. oh and air conditioned seats Rock!!!

hope this helps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom