1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mondeo troubles

Discussion in 'Motors' started by loltim, 31 May 2006.

1. loltim

Capodecina

No, I don't own a Mondeo;) but my father does. Its a 52 plate, ~50,000 miles with FSH. 2.0 Duratec I think, LX model.

Problem 1:
    When idleing the engine sounds likes its "pumping", the rev counter goes from 800 to 1000rpm while making this noise. It stops when the engine is warm.

Problem 2:
    Throttle is slow to shut off, when changing gear the revs are still coming down when we goes into the next gear and wants to accelerate. I thought this may be just a stiff acclerator pedal? Maybe more to it given problem 1...

Any help appreciated, somethings not right. I told him to get an Accord:mad:;)

2. Serj

Mobster

IIRC when this problem happens on Hyundai Coupes its the TPS, throttle position sensor. Not sure if this is the same thing though, but sure does sound like it...

3. blueboy2001

Mobster

Could well be the TPS - they do occasionally go on the Focus and Mondeo. On the Mk3 Mondeo you buy the whole pedal and TPS assembly and swap it over. There is no throttle cable to mess with.

4. loltim

Capodecina

Thanks guys, how much for a TPS and how hard is it to replace? I think the car still has some warranty so might all be irrelvant, but just out of interest what do you reckon?

5. Princey

Soldato

I doubt its the TPS to be honest it sounds more like the idle control valve. Just clean it with some carb cleaner.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2006
  6. Steve

Mobster

Quoted for truth

the fact it does it at idle gives it away for me.

should be a 4 bolt off job, squirt in loads of carb cleaner, drain, squirt full of wd40 whack on and whack off

7. PeterNem

Sgarrista

Agreed, idle control valve sounds quite likely.

As a second possibility, the EGR valve.

8. loltim

Capodecina

Problem 2 is completely seperate to the idle control valve though? I was hoping both problems would be solved with the same fix.

9. Princey

Soldato

The ECU is doing that, its perfectly normal and helps smooth gear changes.

10. siztenboots

Wise Guy

Mk1 and Mk2 reset the ECU , remove fuses 4 and 11 from the fusebox next to the battery in the engine bay and leave the car for about 15 minutes.

It will relearn ICV settings , then take out for a good drive using all throttle positions and gears.

11. pinkaardvark

Soldato

re: Problem 2. This is known as throttle hang and is by design, some people it bothers others it doesn't. I fall into the it doesn't bother camp personally as I don't find it effects gearchanges at all, the engine is declutched and your gonna want to bring the revs up before reclutching anyways. I have also only ever owned and driven V6 mondeos so it may be worse on smaller engines.

If it does bother you search for throttle hang fix on the meg forums and you'll find a DIY solution to it.

12. PeterNem

Sgarrista

13. pinkaardvark

Soldato

EGR's got deleted from mondeos around 99

14. PeterNem

Sgarrista

Never knew that :) - I'm obviously still stuck in my Mk2 days!

15. osc89er

Wise Guy

1999 is the mk2 days. I think it was the new version of the zetec engine (the blacktops) which was introduced sometime that year.

16. Muffin`

Caporegime

Did you ever fix Problem 1, I've got the same issue...