1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Money for psychiatric jabs

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by miniyazz, 7 Oct 2009.

1. miniyazz

Soldato

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8290295.stm

As per the article really. A scheme is being trialled where uncompliant schizophrenic patients are being paid (£15/jab) as an incentive to take their medication.

What are people's thoughts on this?

My own are as follows:
    1) A good idea in principal - as it would save the NHS money long-term by reducing hospital admissions, and (potentially, although dangerous patients should not be in the community) may reduce likelihood of violent behaviour being directed at members of the public due to poor compliance with medication.
    2) However, it's clearly unfair to those who do take their medication regularly. So for such a scheme to be workable (without the compliant patients becoming non-compliant to get the money), all schizophrenic patients would have to be paid. At this point, is it still financially viable?
    3) Should the scheme be extended to other conditions? If there are conditions with documented poor compliance with medication, for whatever reason, and poor compliance results in increased expenditure by the NHS, it makes sense to me to extend the scheme. As long as it's financially viable - as under no circumstances should the general UK tax payer be paying for other people to receive money, as that is well beyond the scope of funding for the NHS.

In other words, if it can be done fairly, and pay for itself, then I reckon it's a good thing.. otherwise, it's untenable.

2. Sankari

Caporegime

Free money; it's madness! No really, it is!

:)

3. Meridian

Man of Honour

The problem is that, unlike most non-lethal diseases, the side-effects of the treatment are nearly as bad as the disease. It could be argued that the treatment is not really even for the benefit of the patient (who often feels worse when being treated) at all, but for the benefit of society. Under those circumstances, payment for compliance would seem fairly reasonable.

M

4. miniyazz

Soldato

I see what you mean. I suppose the question there might be whether or not it would be in the public's interest to pay them - would people rather spend an extra penny per pound (or whatever it comes to) to help keep schizophrenics in remission, and therefore reduce the chance of an adverse incident happening? Or to put it another way, would they rather the money was spent on paying schizophrenics to stay on treatment or would they rather have it spent on treating/curing other conditions that would otherwise have 'substandard' care? If the scheme does not pay for itself I'd probably rather the latter, myself.

5. Energize

Caporegime

I doubt that money is going to make someone take a drug that causes tardive dyskinesia.

6. markweatherill

Mobster

Once this is established we can move to the next stage: pharmaceutical R & D.

7. miniyazz

Soldato

Clozapine (and maybe some other new ones) has fewer such side effects. Besides, the money could tip the balance between taking and not taking the drug.

8. Energize

Caporegime

It depends on why they aren't taking it, if it's because of serious side effects like TD, then they aren't going to take it for any amount of money.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2011
  9. marin

Hitman

Heard this on the radio yesterday, a guy came on whose wife was stabbed to death by her son who was schizophrenic, he reckoned it was worth a try as it may save some lives and it costs a small fortune to have someone committed.

I think it is worth a try with a small sample group for a year or so and then see what the results are.