Monitor randomly not working

Associate
Hi all,

Am having a very random, annoying problem with my LG flatron w2261vp (yeh I know its probably ancient). Occasionally over the past couple of months, I would turn my monitor on and the red power light would come on, then id turn my pc on....and nothing the red light would go off, no picture, no windows, cant 'press' the power button (its touch sensitive thing). The pc turns on fine.

In order to 'fix' the problem I turned the pc off, unplugged power and dvi cable to the monitor. I would then restart the pc and let it load. Next I'd attach the power cable and hopefully the red power light would come on (it would only seem to work if I left it for ~5 mins before restarting). At this point the monitor would be on, saying "no input signal, please attach...", so I'd reattach the DVI cable and it would seem to work.

So this probably first happened ~2 months ago, then all seemed to work fine again. Randomly happened again a month or so later and same solution worked. However it has now happened the past 2 nights when I've come to turn my pc on in the evening.... and has been much more of a struggle to get it working. After coming up with the no input message I would attach the DVI cable and it would look like it was loading and then after 10 seconds turn off (No red power light, cant press it again etc).

I plugged it into another pc using a VGA connector and the monitor worked fine. Conversely I tried an Acer monitor and it worked fine with my pc. After trying it on the other pc, I tried one last time using the above method that had worked previously and low and behold ... here I am with it working.

It almost feels like the graphic card is causing the monitor to short and not work temporarily. Just random that it has been such an intermittent problem, which seems to be getting worse.

Also when I go into my screen resolution it states the monitor is 'Generic non-PnP Monitor', is this something to be concerned about?

Sorry for long story, but any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated?!?! Ps. Upgraded gfx card to GTX960 approx. 5 months ago (guess its unrelated)

Back
Top Bottom