Monitor wont start in highest res in DVI...

Soldato
What happens if you start in DVI, but at a lower res than max, then if that works up the res to max? Anyway, what res are we talking about here? And while we're at it, what type of DVI cable are we talking about (DVI-D/I single/double) and what graphics card are you using, and have you tried it with a different graphics card?

Soldato
OP
What happens if you start in DVI, but at a lower res than max, then if that works up the res to max? Anyway, what res are we talking about here? And while we're at it, what type of DVI cable are we talking about (DVI-D/I single/double) and what graphics card are you using, and have you tried it with a different graphics card?

Thanks for the response. I'm using an Nvidia 5200 (poor I know). The monitor is fine in analog, and it WILL start in DVI but only at a low res. The monitor is a Samsung 2032BW.

I can't start in 1680 x 1050 which is the max res. I don't know what the differences between the cables are..

I haven't tried it with a different graphics card.

Soldato
Thanks for the response. I'm using an Nvidia 5200 (poor I know). The monitor is fine in analog, and it WILL start in DVI but only at a low res. The monitor is a Samsung 2032BW.

I can't start in 1680 x 1050 which is the max res. I don't know what the differences between the cables are..

I haven't tried it with a different graphics card.

Well according to the nvidia specification page (here) the 5200 only supports DVI resolutions up to 1600x1200. It supports much higher through VGA, which is presumably why you can boot up in that res. I guess because it's not officially supported by the card it's a bit unreliable!
I'd say upgrade your graphics card. Obviously if you're using the 5200 you don't need it for high-power gaming:)p), so you should be able to pick up an old second hand card on ebay for a tenner or so, should make your problems go away. Alternatively you could just use the VGA cable instead of DVI, I doubt there's any difference in output quality?

Soldato
OP
Well according to the nvidia specification page (here) the 5200 only supports DVI resolutions up to 1600x1200. It supports much higher through VGA, which is presumably why you can boot up in that res. I guess because it's not officially supported by the card it's a bit unreliable!
I'd say upgrade your graphics card. Obviously if you're using the 5200 you don't need it for high-power gaming:)p), so you should be able to pick up an old second hand card on ebay for a tenner or so, should make your problems go away. Alternatively you could just use the VGA cable instead of DVI, I doubt there's any difference in output quality?

Thank you, top answer.

Back
Top Bottom