Monsters of Rock

Soldato
Just spotted this linked from another website and it looks interesting:

Monsters of Rock

At 23 I wouldn't consider myself to be old as such, but for the most part I can't stand modern rock/metal bands, especially the crap they have playing at Download and other such festivals. I'd much rather listen to proper rock bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots and Blind Melon.

Aside from Deep Purple and Alice Cooper though the lineup is a bit of a mystery. Anyone shed any light on this?

Soldato
OP
I've not heard much DP before but what I have heard I've liked and would love to see them live as I hear they put on quite a show.

Not such a big AC fan though, but am eager to find out the rest of the lineup.

I went to the first Ozzfest they did at the MK Bowl in '98 and it was really good. Fear Factory, original Soulfly lineup, Foo Fighters (with Pat Smear before they went all lame and poppy) and of course Black Sabbath.

Man of Honour
I was going to boast then about seeing the Mark 2 Deep Purple twice and the Mark 3 Deep Purple once but I won't bother :D
Never been an Alice Cooper fan, not rocky enough for me.

I love the OP "At 23 I wouldn't consider myself to be old as such," - good grief.
I basically only listen to new metal bands and I'm very old.
My MP3 player is filled with Fear Factory, At All Cost, Corrosion Of Conformity, Vortex, Exciter, Orange Goblin, Primal Fear, Opeth etc. I can't get enough.
Long live the future.

Soldato
OP
dmpoole said:
I love the OP "At 23 I wouldn't consider myself to be old as such," - good grief.
I basically only listen to new metal bands and I'm very old.
My MP3 player is filled with Fear Factory, At All Cost, Corrosion Of Conformity, Vortex, Exciter, Orange Goblin, Primal Fear, Opeth etc. I can't get enough.
Long live the future.
You've kind of missed my point though. I'm really not a fan of the new crop of rock/metal bands that are billed to play at Download and nearly all my favourite bands and those I'd have on my dream festival list (would read something like Led Zeppelin, Rage Against The Machine, Jane's Addiction circa 1990, RHCP circa 1990/95, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins any various others) have either split or decided to suck in their old age.

When I tell people this I get responses suggesting that I'm old before my time, hence the comment in my original post.

Fear Factory's Demanufacture is one of my favourite metal albums, and I can't get enough Opeth at the moment but you can keep your Triviums, your Hatebreeds, your Bullet for my Valentines and all the other crap that I hear these days.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Big Chris said:
You've kind of missed my point though. I'm really not a fan of the new crop of rock/metal bands that are billed to play at Download and nearly all my favourite bands and those I'd have on my dream festival list (would read something like Led Zeppelin, Rage Against The Machine, Jane's Addiction circa 1990, RHCP circa 1990/95, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins any various others) have either split or decided to suck in their old age.

When I tell people this I get responses suggesting that I'm old before my time, hence the comment in my original post.

Fear Factory's Demanufacture is one of my favourite metal albums, and I can't get enough Opeth at the moment but you can keep your Triviums, your Hatebreeds, your Bullet for my Valentines and all the other crap that I hear these days.

lol, steady on grandad...dont wana break a hip :p

Soldato
Big Chris said:
I've not heard much DP before but what I have heard I've liked and would love to see them live as I hear they put on quite a show.

Not such a big AC fan though, but am eager to find out the rest of the lineup.

I went to the first Ozzfest they did at the MK Bowl in '98 and it was really good. Fear Factory, original Soulfly lineup, Foo Fighters (with Pat Smear before they went all lame and poppy) and of course Black Sabbath.

Was that the year that Slayer and pantera played, and pitchshifter opened on the second stage ? If it was that was one hell of a day, oh and i seem to remember seeing dave Ghrols arse on the big screens, which was umm interesting :D

Soldato
OP
Sic said:
lol, steady on grandad...dont wana break a hip :p
Watch your mouth youngun, I've got a pile of gig tickets gathering here that I can happily scrub your name off... ;)

Spud21 said:
Was that the year that Slayer and pantera played, and pitchshifter opened on the second stage ? If it was that was one hell of a day, oh and i seem to remember seeing dave Ghrols arse on the big screens, which was umm interesting :D
I think it may well have been, The Foos came on right before Ozzy though and got some stick from the crowd but I thought they was decent, Colour and the Shape is still a cracking album even if the others suck.

Associate
Rotty said:
Since when's MoR been at Milton Keynes , was always at Donington when I used to go ( many many years ago )

Same here, the last one I went to Iron Maiden was headlining, Slayer, Thunder and I can't even remember who else was on that day (memory's going :o )

The sight of gallon bottles filled with urine flying through the air, stuff being thrown at the stage, ahhh they were the days :D

Soldato
OP
Sic said:
Nothing left to lose is good as well.
Nah it's crap, very average and written for radio IMO. Pat Smear lent a certain something to the songwriting in his brief time with them, and they've never been the same since he left (although I do really like the first album too, which is 100% Dave Grohl).

As for the venue, not quite sure why they changed it but the MK Bowl is up to the job, if not better. The bowl part of it makes it much easier to see for those at the back and almost gives a stadium like feel to it.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Big Chris said:
Nah it's crap, very average and written for radio IMO. Pat Smear lent a certain something to the songwriting in his brief time with them, and they've never been the same since he left (although I do really like the first album too, which is 100% Dave Grohl).

it's weird when opinions are so very wrong. i think it's a really well produced/written album, and it's got some really great songs on it.

Don
NeedleGunner said:
Same here, the last one I went to Iron Maiden was headlining, Slayer, Thunder and I can't even remember who else was on that day (memory's going :o )

Last one I went to was Status Quo , Scorpions , Saxon , Uriah heap , maybe Marillion

will have to look up who exactly it was and when :D

/edit

looks like it was 1981

Status Quo (headline) ,Gillan, Saxon, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Anvil

Scorpions must have been a different year

Last edited:
Associate
That was a long time ago :eek: ;)

Ahhh Hawkwind, I've never been lucky enough to see them, one of my fave bands too. Where they any good, or is it that far back lol.

The Quo headlining the likes of Gillan and Hawkwind, pretty poor tbh.

Don
Have seen Hawkwind many times obviously a festival is no place to really enjoy a band but on smaller shows they were amazing , some of the shows were a bit mental , I spent a couple of hours drinking with the band in the bar at Leicester de Montford hall untill they had to rush off for the show , they were near paralytic when they left the bar :p

re Quo , it may be hard to imagine but from the early 70's to the mid 80's they were huge , concerts on live on prime time BBC1 on a Saturday night for example

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sic said:
it's weird when opinions are so very wrong. i think it's a really well produced/written album, and it's got some really great songs on it.
This coming from the man who thinks the latest Incubus album is good... As you say though, tis all a matter of opinion so let us derail the thread no more.

(my opinion is as ever a direct reflection of the true facts)

Back
Top Bottom