Monsters of Rock

Soldato
Rotty said:
Last one I went to was Status Quo , Scorpions , Saxon , Uriah heap , maybe Marillion

will have to look up who exactly it was and when :D

/edit

looks like it was 1981

Status Quo (headline) ,Gillan, Saxon, Hawkwind, Uriah Heep, Anvil

Scorpions must have been a different year

I was there as well mate, I didn't realise you had good taste in music, good too see another old rocker in here. :D

You're right about Quo as well, they were huge in them days and a brilliant live act as well.

Permabanned
I bet one of you has a leather waistcoat in the back of the wardrobe

Cmon

Big Kev?

Rotty?

DMpoole?

One of you shirley :D

Don
Big Kev said:
I was there as well mate, I didn't realise you had good taste in music, good too see another old rocker in here.

You're right about Quo as well, they were huge in them days and a brilliant live act as well.

didn't see you there ;) , Saxon got a good reception didn't they :p , Tommy Vance got what he always got from the crowd :D

Used to go to dozens of concerts , probably get flamed for admitting this but I've seen Quo over 20 times :o :D

Soldato
G|mp said:

Cmon

Big Kev?

Rotty?

DMpoole?

One of you shirley

No I haven't young'un, did have a superb denim jacket with patches and badges all over the place, which went well with my bullet belt and studded AC/DC wristband. You lot have no idea how to gig nowadays. ;)

Rotty said:
didn't see you there ;) , Saxon got a good reception didn't they, Tommy Vance got what he always got from the crowd

Used to go to dozens of concerts , probably get flamed for admitting this but I've seen Quo over 20 times :o :D

How do you know that you didn't see me there, I haven't always been a lard 'arris. ;)

I really loved Quo in the 70/80's, but after that, they deteriorated into a poor pop band, so I couldn't bring myself to go again.

Don
G|mp said:

Cmon

Big Kev?

Rotty?

DMpoole?

One of you shirley :D

I had a leather jacket with tassels and over it a cut off Wrangler denim with patches , embroiderd stuff and steel studs :eek: :o :p

Last edited:
Associate
Rotty said:
didn't see you there ;) , Saxon got a good reception didn't they :p , Tommy Vance got what he always got from the crowd :D

Used to go to dozens of concerts , probably get flamed for admitting this but I've seen Quo over 20 times

From Rock Gods to special appearances on Coronation St :p

I went in 1992
Iron Maiden, Skid Row, Thunder, Slayer, WASP, Almighty.

If I remember rightly it was the first time Radio 1 broadcast from Donington, you know that as soon as they told the acts not too swear they did LOL. Appart from Slayer. They did a cracking set too.

Speaking of concerts gotta go now, going to see Julian Cope at the Acadamy in Manchester :D

Don
Big Kev said:
I really loved Quo in the 70/80's, but after that, they deteriorated into a poor pop band, so I couldn't bring myself to go again.

exactly right but they still played all the old stuff at the recent concerts

been trying to remember what the best concerts of that era were

reckon AC/DC at Manchester apollo in 1982 was one of the best ( never saw them with Bon Scott )

Soldato
Rotty said:
exactly right but they still played all the old stuff at the recent concerts

been trying to remember what the best concerts of that era were

reckon AC/DC at Manchester apollo in 1982 was one of the best ( never saw them with Bon Scott )

You can't mention Bon Scott in here, or Mr Poole comes in boasting till his fingers hurt, although I still prefer Brian anyway. :)

Quo's "last gig" at Milton Keynes was one of my favourites, a brilliant set, lot's of emotion, fantastic atmosphere and lots and lots of lager, nuff said. :) I've just put the video on as I type. :D

Don
Big Kev said:
You can't mention Bon Scott in here, or Mr Poole comes in boasting till his fingers hurt, although I still prefer Brian anyway. :)

Quo's "last gig" at Milton Keynes was one of my favourites, a brilliant set, lot's of emotion, fantastic atmosphere and lots and lots of lager, nuff said. :) I've just put the video on as I type. :D

I was at that one too :D

Man of Honour
NeedleGunner said:
The Quo headlining the likes of Gillan and Hawkwind, pretty poor tbh.

Quo were the biggest rock band in the world at one time and you were and are still guaranteed a rocking night. I went to see them a couple of years ago at the insistence of my band and they were still awesome. Its just that when they released rocking All Over The World it all went pear shaped. It was an awful song and basically signed their pop Status Quo years.
Listen to the very early albums like Ma Kellys Greasy Spoon, Dog Of Two Heads (my first Quo concert), Piledriver, Hello and you'll hear a proper rock band.

Big Kev said:

Me sir? How very dare you.

Its amazing to think that when AC/DC first came here they were classed as a punk/new wave band by the music media and also classed as a poor mans Status Quo - I kid you not. How times change.
I saw Bon Scott twice and my own band actually do 9 Bon Scott AC/DC songs in tribute to him and the best AC/DC.
I also saw Brian Johnson with Geordie a couple of times too.

Soldato
Ha! I went to the first one headlined by Rainbow
209156.gif
who were just awful. I seem to remember a 30 minute version of Since You've Been Gone with some short-haired git of a singer. 1980 I think and I then went straight down to Reading for the folllowing week.

Don
dmpoole said:
Quo were the biggest rock band in the world at one time and you were and are still guaranteed a rocking night. I went to see them a couple of years ago at the insistence of my band and they were still awesome. Its just that when they released rocking All Over The World it all went pear shaped. It was an awful song and basically signed their pop Status Quo years.
Listen to the very early albums like Ma Kellys Greasy Spoon, Dog Of Two Heads (my first Quo concert), Piledriver, Hello and you'll hear a proper rock band.

yep from about 1979 they started producing stuff that was far too commercial leading to John Coghlans departure around 1982 , for me I think Hello was about the peak of their stuff

Don
dmpoole said:
Quo must have the record for Farewell Tours.
Recently converted this video to DVD -

-
status quo.jpg

1984 - give over.

I seem to remember last year being billed as the 40th anniversary

by any method of counting it was either 43 or 38 years :p

Man of Honour
Rotty said:
Has he got a "Silver Machine" ? :p

If he's a massive Hawkwind fan then Silver Machine will be an embarassment to him. This was Hawkwinds poppy period and they released about 4 singles which entered the charts SM being the biggest. Anybody who's ever seen the Hawks or heard them will realise that Silver Machine isn't representative of them and basically, IMHO, they suck. I saw them about 5 times in the 70's and the best gig was when Motorhead supported them on their very first tour. Of course everybody knows that its Lemmy singing Silver Machine but I thought I'd just remind you.

Soldato
The line up has been updated:

Deep Purple
Alice Cooper
Journey
Thunder
Ted Nugent

I'd only be interested in Deep Purple and Ted Nugent, so I don't think I'll be bothering now.

Back
Top Bottom