1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monthly food spend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by laissez-faire, 1 Jun 2006.

1. laissez-faire

Mobster

Just came to the end of my second year of uni. I was going through the bank statements and I spent a whopping average of £750 per month on FOOD.

This seems too high, and my parents weren't too happy, what do you guys spend and any tips to cut down?

Thanks,

Sam

2. kaiowas

Capodecina

HOW?!?!?!

I'd struggle to spend that if I had takeaway EVERY day

3. Le_Petit_Lapin

Capodecina

:eek: Wtf? Do you eat takeaways for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Seriously, buy a cookbook and work your way through it, getting the ingredients from Tescos/Asda/Local Market/Wherever is cheap.

In my house, theres three of us (I cook) and I'd say it costs about ~£250-£300 a month for all of us, Breakfasts (cooked) and Dinners.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2006
  4. Bes

Soldato

Jesus H Christ! I thought I was bad at around £200 per month for myself! Thats about £25 A DAY!!!!!

5. Belmit

Man of Honour

£40-£50 a week. Helps if you go without a shopping list and make meals out of whatever's on BOGOF. Last week I bought chicken breasts, salmon and king prawns all on buy one get one free. All you need is a range of sauces and side dishes and you can make all sorts of stuff. Tonight it's salmon, couscous and ratatouille, total cost about £2.50. You don't have to buy cheap crap to save money, although it looks like you've been surviving on fillet steak and caviar judging by your budget. :p

6. Ukadder

Wise Guy

£750 a month!! Thats £25 a day, you should be able to live for a week on that amount shopping from Tesco.

7. Bat

Hitman

That's insane. We spend about £200 a month for a family of 4!

8. AJUK

Man of Honour

About £40 per week between two of us plus I will spend about 40 quid on myself in booze and a curry/pizza on a night out. WTF are you eating? :eek:

As for cutting down, off to Lidl or Aldi with ya and don't buy crap.

9. Mat

Capodecina

Do what my uni housemates friend did; spend your whole grant on a stereo, eat porridge oats and nothing else as you have no money and end up getting scurvy! Genius... :rolleyes:

10. Sirrel Squirrel

Sgarrista

holy ****, I'm earning that a month at the moment :eek:

11. ezabella45

Gangster

That really is crazy. Wish we had enough money to spend that much, lol

12. Jenjey

Soldato

About £100-£150 on food shopping.
    Bit more if you count the amount spent eating out :o

13. laissez-faire

Mobster

I usually skipped breakfast, bought lunch from Tescos and then went out for a meal in the evening... I bought a microwave curry once but other than that I didn't cook anything.

14. Le_Petit_Lapin

Capodecina

Whoah...wait....OP...does that include booze money, being a student and all?

Aye, there you go. Buy a good set of cooking equipment, a good thick cookbook and pillage that instead....and...learn to make some chocolate cake that will almost kill you with a cocoa overdose, Death by chocolate is a good one. The girls will love you for it. ;)

15. Nismo

Capodecina

Christ, thats ridiculous.

That amount isnt far off what we pay for all our mortgage and bills combined!

16. laissez-faire

Mobster

I think this is a myth that circulates every single university lol.

17. Trifid

Sgarrista

He didn't eet any fruit or vegetables, at all!

£25 a day! In would check that your house mates are not taking your food as you put it in, so when you go back to the cupboard there isn't anything in there so you then have to go shopping again, thinking that you dreamed about it.

^confusing.

18. Yas786

Caporegime

:eek:

I spend about £150 a month for our food shopping but then its only me and my mum and tbh even £150 is quite a bit but then that includes the monthly halal meat shopping as well.

19. laissez-faire

Mobster

Drink wasn't included but I drink very very little - only spend about £100 per month on booze and the only reason it is that high is I don't usually drink wine costing less than £15 per bottle.

20. malolo

Hitman

Don't you think going out for meals every night is slightly excessive? Do your parents think you're cooking for yourself?