Monthly food spend

Soldato
I spend spend around:
£70 per month on food shopping
£400 eating out
£40 on alcohol

£750 is quite a lot for a student however if your from a comfortable family and you are accustomed to that sort of lifestyle I don’t see a problem with it.

Or if you enjoy eating out but don’t have other expensive hobbies I don’t see the problem.

Caporegime
laissez-faire said:
This seems too high, and my parents weren't too happy, what do you guys spend and any tips to cut down?

Thanks,

Sam

Back on topic, see if you can do this for a week.

Breakfast - Cereal. Go buy branded expensive M&S one if you like !

Lunch - Pasta, cook it yourself, hell get supermarket ready meals, they shouldn't clost more than £2.99 each even from M&S. Or Sandwiches, £3 can get you a meal deal from a lot of places

Dinner - Pasta, Pizza, whatever, cook it yourself. Cous Cous with Steak cost like £3 max and it's filling, nice and esay to cook.

That's like £1 on breakfast, £4 on lunch, £5 on dinner. Lets say £10 a day.

Sunday you can have 1 takeaway, £10 max.

So thats, £70 + £10 takeaway. £80 a week, times 4, £360. Halved your current rate already, and i am being generous.
No way can you spent more than £100 a week on food if you eat like that.

Permabanned
I dunno what it works out at but the gf and I spend about £60-80 every five days...That includes a few bottles of ale and a bottle of wine or two.

*n

Associate
i agree, if you really want to cut down, stop smoking weed and you will be able to cook something!
seriously though it sounds like you need to learn a little self control, there is no need to spend that much! take some of the advice above! budget! pasta etc is rteally easy to cook and will save you a packet!

on the other hand if you are just tryin to show what a lavish lifestyle you have then good luck! uni dont last forever and then the real world begins!

Soldato
I think I spent £100 today in Costco, mainly meat. If you cut down on the amount of meat you eat it falls dramatically. For example, butterfly a chicken breast and share it between 2 people and you have saved 50%. It doesn't make a huge difference to how you feel, its all about plate coverage. :)

Soldato
Whilst 750 quid is a lot for food, its not as much as you might think. Buy a sandwich and some other bits from tescos for a fiver for lunch, then eat out somewhere decent everynight (ie, curry or chinese) for 20 quid and thats 25 quid a day. Seriously though if you are eating out that much its not healthy, and far far far more expensive than just about anything else. Even if you but back to getting a takeaway everynight its about half of what you currently pay. Even better limit yourself to lunch everyday that you cant make it at home for 5 quid or less. Limit yourself to no more than 2 takeaways a week, then look at ready meals and other stuff that is easy to cook, and you should be able to live on 200 quid a month tops for food, and that is buying decent food.

Soldato
470manuel2li.jpg

Soldato
Repeating what other have said, but still:

Assuming you're not making this up
1/ Thats insane. You're spending twice my total income (including rent and tuition fees) on food. Yes, I'm a student too. A normal one. :p
2/ My gf and I shop together and normally spend £40 a week between us. We also go out to a curry in spoons of a thursday with friends (£10 including 5 drinks for me and 3 for her) Plus some more randon booze
Maybe 250 a month max between us?

Associate
If you time it right you can make spag bol for less than £1 from ASDA, smartprice mince when its on offer (30p I got it for), then an onion, peppar some mushrooms and tinned tomatoes + pasta which effectivly costs nothing. Even if the mince isnt on offer its not much over £1. If your eating as a group which is always better when buying food its even cheaper.

If you go there at say 12am you can get stuff like french sticks for 8p and loads of other reductions.

In my first year I used to survive on micro meals and oven food but I've since picked up how to cook from flatmates, my food costs have dropped massively as a result.

Man of Honour
Gimpymoo said:
Has anyone done a weekly shop at M&S before?

I shop at Waitrose in general for my weekly shop - well my share of the shopping, and I hardly ever go over £30-£40 a week. Sometimes less depending how much I have in the fridge, and even less if i'm home alone or I'm away on business (which is all the time it seems at the moment :().

You don't have to spend a fortune to get good quality food... well if you know how to cook and make the best out of the ingredients that is. ;)

Students are obviously richer than they used to be...

Soldato
My food spending is a bit erratic but even so I think I spend at most £25 per week on food.

When I was at university it was pretty similar.

You really must be either buying a lot of food, full stop.

Back
Top Bottom