Monthly food spend

Soldato
go shopping every 2 weeks and spend about £50-£80 a week. Quite pleased, I used to spend more going everyweek, maybe Morrisons is cheaper than Sainsburys

Caporegime
£750 my ass.

University is ment to be a time where you learn to live on your own, aswell as get a **** degree in an area you care nothing about.

Try standing on your own feet and not being spoon fed by mummy and daddy, Lord daddy and Lady mummy

No swearing! FF.

Soldato
Efour2 said:
£750 my ass.

University is ment to be a time where you learn to live on your own, aswell as get a ***** degree in an area you care nothing about.

Try standing on your own feet and not being spoon fed by mummy and daddy, Lord daddy and Lady mummy

Uhh... chill a little?

Soldato
I don’t see what everyone’s problem is, yes £750 is quite a lot to spend on food but it’s the end of the year which means he has been doing this all year so he or his parents can obviously afford it.

I would find it hard to justify that sort of spend that’s because £750 is a lot of money to me but to some others it not. Quite a few students I know spend £2k or £3k per month without even flinching.

It really depends on your background

Paras

Permabanned
Paras said:
I don’t see what everyone’s problem is, yes £750 is quite a lot to spend on food but it’s the end of the year which means he has been doing this all year so he or his parents can obviously afford it.

I would find it hard to justify that sort of spend that’s because £750 is a lot of money to me but to some others it not. Quite a few students I know spend £2k or £3k per month without even flinching.

Paras

Well its unsustainable because even if he lands a plum job when he graduates once he starts having to pay things like rent, council tax and bills himself he wont be able to sustain it. Also, this sort of expenditure on food is obscene when you consider the majority of students have to make do on a food budget of about 10-20% of this value.
Finally, it doesn't matter how much you earn there are surely better things to spend 750/ month on than food? It displays an utter lack of common-sense and sense of reality and I cant believe his parents let him get away with it.
Maybe its my in-built Scottish frugality, but I cant even comprehend spending this sort of money on food, especially when I was at uni. Even now Im a BOGOF whore and think "wtf" if our weekly food bill (i.e. me and my gf's) crosses the £50 barrier

Last edited:

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Paras said:

Paras

Aye I suppose you're right. If one is born with a silver spoon up ones arse then the value of money isn't something that one should concern oneself with.

Soldato
What's that smell, is it sheep or maybe cows, nah its definately bull**** ;)

Even if you are spending £750 on food it's nothing to be proud of, it just shows you don't know the real value of money, hopefully mummy and daddy are rich enough that you'll never have to find out.

Lets hope you never have to fend for yourself :eek:

Before somebody claims "oh your just jelous" it not that at all, when I was at Uni I ran a car and used to go out all the time, the difference was I spent my summers working to pay for it (which I enjoyed). There is nothing more satisfying than spending money that you've worked hard to get, if somebody just gives you money to blow it's just not the same!

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Permabanned
Tru said:
Aye I suppose you're right. If one is born with a silver spoon up ones arse then the value of money isn't something that one should concern oneself with.

Nicely put, though hopefully they wont censor out the "A" word! As an Edinburger though I'll resist the urge to :rolleyes: and say "typical George Square yah" at the OP ;)

Associate
:eek: if you was my son id beat you! me AND my girlfriend combined only spend 300 a month MAX!

dude i suggest you live off bananas and toast for the remaining years of uni!

*S

Suspended
good god. i eat VERY well for a student (i think) and spend about £30-£40 a week on food. I eat steaks, fish, fruit veg mince and other nice things like prawns. £187 a week. good god, dod you eat caviar for breakfast followed by M&S kippers or something?

how often do you go to restaurants, about 3 times a week?

Caporegime
geeza said:
how often do you go to restaurants, about 3 times a week?

This is the key post that gives away the root of all the problems:

Laissez Faire said:
I usually skipped breakfast, bought lunch from Tescos and then went out for a meal in the evening... I bought a microwave curry once but other than that I didn't cook anything.

Simply put, he's a wally and should learn to cook, or do what I did - live with a girl who can cook.

Man of Honour
HEADRAT said:
What's that smell, is it sheep or maybe cows, nah its definately bull**** ;)

Even if you are spending £750 on food it's nothing to be proud of, it just shows you don't know the real value of money, hopefully mummy and daddy are rich enough that you'll never have to find out.

Lets hope you never have to fend for yourself :eek:

Before somebody claims "oh your just jelous" it not that at all, when I was at Uni I ran a car and used to go out all the time, the difference was I spent my summers working to pay for it (which I enjoyed). There is nothing more satisfying than spending money that you've worked hard to get, if somebody just gives you money to blow it's just not the same!

HEADRAT

Hear ******* hear.

Suspended
another thing, how do you afford it? Max loan is £1420 every 4 month

so lets add up over 4 months average-

£3000 food :eek:
£1120 rent
£240 bills (thats as 4 sharing aswell)
£1600 alcohol/going out (£100 a week)

£5960 every 4 months! that loan wont go very far. then there other things like phone bill, internet, tv, clothes tuition fees, car tax insurance petrol etc etc

youd need a 20k+ job to sustain your student life!!!!!!! :eek:

Caporegime
geeza said:
another thing, how do you afford it? Max loan is £1420 every 4 month

so lets add up over 4 months average-

£3000 food :eek:
£1120 rent
£240 bills (thats as 4 sharing aswell)
£1600 alcohol/going out (£100 a week)

£5960 every 4 months! that loan wont go very far. then there other things like phone bill, internet, tv, clothes tuition fees, car tax insurance petrol etc etc

youd need a 20k+ job to sustain your student life!!!!!!! :eek:

No, he'd need minted parents, which I think he has.

Soldato
OP
M0KUJ1N said:
Nicely put, though hopefully they wont censor out the "A" word! As an Edinburger though I'll resist the urge to :rolleyes: and say "typical George Square yah" at the OP ;)

I study Physics. I don't go to George Square! Next year won't be in Uni Accomodation, have a flat with somewhere to cook, so I am hoping food bills will drop drastically.

A lot of people seem to have missed the point of me posting. I am trying to budget for next year, because I know I have spent too much on food living in halls thus I wish to know how much it costs when I do cook for myself. I have no plans to carry on living a life of take-away food, it is pretty boring.

Last edited:
Soldato
laissez-faire said:
I wish to know how much it costs when I do cook for myself.
Well I spend £15/week on shopping at the moment (keep in mind that's my mum's shopping too), and I would've considered that a lot when I was at college. Set your goal to that, get down to Tesco or Morrisons and buy anything on "buy one get one free", and you're all set.

Back
Top Bottom