Monthly food spend

Caporegime
laissez-faire said:
I study Physics. I don't go to George Square! Next year won't be in Uni Accomodation, have a flat with somewhere to cook, so I am hoping food bills will drop drastically.

A lot of people seem to have missed the point of me posting. I am trying to budget for next year, because I know I have spent too much on food living in halls thus I wish to know how much it costs when I do cook for myself. I have no plans to carry on living a life of take-away food, it is pretty boring.

If you spent more than £50 a week on your shopping a week, you are living a life of luxury. And stop the £15 bottle of wine, that is just silly considering you are in uni, not in a £300,000 a year job.

Soldato
Some 1 is living the cavair and champagne life style when they should be on the beans on toast one (or how ever the saying goes)

Well done for proving your self an idiot tho :)

Soldato
I still find this whole thing pretty incredulous, I really am in disbelief, half of the fun of Uni is "making do" and cooking with your housemates and having crappy dinner parties, BBQ's etc.

I think next year you should turn over a new leaf and "budget" yourself, it doesn't have to be a small budget but nowhere near the £700 mark! How many people do you know that eat out every night of the week, I travel on business a lot and by the time I've been away for about 2 weeks I'm dying for some beans on toast or a home cooked meal.

I guess you are in a privilged (spoilt) position, even when you graduate I guess your parents will make sure your salary is topped up. £15 on a bottle of wine at Uni you should be making up cocktails that envolve a bottle or Red Thunderbird, vodka, cider and red wine ;)

Honestly learn to cook it really isn't that hard, I struck up lots of friendships with girls at Uni because I helped them with their C programming and they tought me to cook (actually I already knew how to cook and it was a good ice breaker). Sunday's in my old student house were great fun, we used to cook for loads of people and make the biggest Sunday dinners you could imagine and all got sloshed on cheap plonk!

Those are memories that you just can't buy, I feel this is what you are missing out on!

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
HEADRAT said:
There is nothing more satisfying than spending money that you've worked hard to get, if somebody just gives you money to blow it's just not the same!

HEADRAT

I disagee, Ive fended for myself since I was thrown out from home when I was 16. I have looked after myself totally for the last 19 years and I would love it if someone gave me a load of money to spend.

Soldato
HEADRAT said:
I still find this whole thing pretty incredulous, I really am in disbelief, half of the fun of Uni is "making do" and cooking with your housemates and having crappy dinner parties, BBQ's etc.

I think next year you should turn over a new leaf and "budget" yourself, it doesn't have to be a small budget but nowhere near the £700 mark! How many people do you know that eat out every night of the week, I travel on business a lot and by the time I've been away for about 2 weeks I'm dying for some beans on toast or a home cooked meal.

I guess you are in a privilged (spoilt) position, even when you graduate I guess your parents will make sure your salary is topped up. £15 on a bottle of wine at Uni you should be making up cocktails that envolve a bottle or Red Thunderbird, vodka, cider and red wine ;)

Honestly learn to cook it really isn't that hard, I struck up lots of friendships with girls at Uni because I helped them with their C programming and they tought me to cook (actually I already knew how to cook and it was a good ice breaker). Sunday's in my old student house were great fun, we used to cook for loads of people and make the biggest Sunday dinners you could imagine and all got sloshed on cheap plonk!

Those are memories that you just can't buy, I feel this is what you are missing out on!

HEADRAT

Totally agree.

There is a bit of difference between comments in this thread as student life compared to 2 people living together on descent wages is a mile away, some may do £750 a month on food easily inc meals out, but thats a lifestyle choice and they work for it. Student doing it is mad. If you get that kind of cash anyway whats the point in Uni as you are already setup for life thru mam and paps.

Back
Top Bottom