Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Soldato
To be fair, the old banks are copying this now. HSBC now does Starling/Monzo-like notifications although they don't have the spending data that is interesting too (I kept my old account when I switched). The old banks still have the legacy technology problem though and won't be up to Starling / Monzo levels unless they replace their whole technology stack.

they have had 5 years to update their tech. They could have developed a whole new stack and had it run side by side with the old one until they were sure it's ready.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Starling have introduced Connected Card today. It's quite a nice handy feature.

Been getting help with the shopping recently? Our new Connected card is an additional debit card you can give to anyone you trust, so they can spend on your behalf without cash, human contact, IOUs or fiddly bank details. The money comes out of a designated Space you’ll set aside – rather than your main account – and it’s capped at £200, so you’re always in control.

Soldato
OP
Ace shall read now.

It's really annoying they haven't found a way to bundle in phone insurance for a bank that works... only through a phone. It's only my natwest benefits (phone/holiday insurance and breakdown cover) preventing me from leaving and if Monzo offered similar things for a similar price I'd switch right away.

Associate
Sounds cool.

Is there a list of supported banks however?
Currently using Yolt to see all my accounts but they don’t support my saving account - used to but seems like Nationwide pulled the plug on one of the APIs, wonder if it’s the same in Monzo.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
No joint account support which sucks for me as I share an account with the better half!

Will most likely join once they've added this.

Yea same, I would jump on it but honestly majority of spending comes from our joint account. I have no need to manage money in my sole account.

Edit:
Unboxing of the new card, looks nice.
https://twitter.com/blob8108/status/1283679188873031681?s=21

Edit2:
Previously they had planned to include credit scores for free, but now it's paywalled in the new Monzo plus, that's damn sneaky!

https://monzo.com/blog/2020/02/24/credit-scores
We’re really excited to let you know that we’ve been working on showing you your credit score, for free, right inside the Monzo app!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The shiny card looks nice and having all my credit card balances in one place would be nice but there's nothing there that makes me think it's worth £5pm.

Soldato
Yea same, I would jump on it but honestly majority of spending comes from our joint account. I have no need to manage money in my sole account.

Edit:
Unboxing of the new card, looks nice.
https://twitter.com/blob8108/status/1283679188873031681?s=21

Edit2:
Previously they had planned to include credit scores for free, but now it's paywalled in the new Monzo plus, that's damn sneaky!

https://monzo.com/blog/2020/02/24/credit-scores

Reminds me of my Revolut card - Not a fan personally...

Can’t see a big enough reason to pay £5 a month for the plus account personally...

I’ve decided to go with Starling for my Business account, but I am tempted to go with Monzo for my personal account.

Soldato
Reminds me of my Revolut card - Not a fan personally...

Can’t see a big enough reason to pay £5 a month for the plus account personally...

I’ve decided to go with Starling for my Business account, but I am tempted to go with Monzo for my personal account.

Cam in to say this. The Plus features just look a bit meh to me. Def not worth £60 a year.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea I've got to say it's pretty disappointing. The appeal to the wider general public isn't going to be there. I can't see them caring 1 bit about exports to Google sheets, extra categories and credit scoring. There are no tangible benefits, and it's only available on sole accounts.

I can see only a small up take for the Plus accounts.

Associate
I pay for Revolut premium as it works out cheaper than my exchange fees would be. I expect Monzo had much bigger plans for their premium perks but the world state may have impacted that a lot!

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Fully switched over to Starling. Day and night diffrence (used to bank with Santander). All direct debit switched over etc.

Like how you get notifications instantly when paying for goods etc etc. The app isclean, and simple to use.
Created 2 Spaces, need to save some money on the side. Plus ordered the Connected card too.

So far enjoying the new experiance with Starling. Will be ordering a Monzo card soon.

Back
Top Bottom