1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moped riding licence ... confused?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by McBain, 14 Mar 2010.

  1. McBain


    Joined: 17 Oct 2002

    Posts: 23,641

    Location: Lancs/London

    Hi guys,

    I've been considering getting a scooter for the daily commute to save money and time, I passed my full driving test (inc. Theory) in October 2004 so as I understand it i'd need to do the CBT in order to ride a moped.

    Do I also have to do a theory? Or is that for the "Full" bike licence? I'm only really looking to ride a 50CC so i'm a bit confused as to exactly what I have to pass/partake in in order to do so legally.

    Advice appreciated!

  2. 4T5

    Man of Honour

    Joined: 30 Aug 2004

    Posts: 27,746

    Location: Middle of England

    You only need a Valid car license to drive a 50cc.
  3. OllyM


    Joined: 16 Aug 2004

    Posts: 6,220

    Location: New Jersey, USA

    Please don't give out incorrect information about something so important :(

    If you passed your car driving test after 1st February 2001 you need to do a CBT to ride a moped.

    If you look at your driving licence it'll have code '122' next to the P entitlement which means 'valid on successful completion: Basic Moped Training Course'.
  4. Fireskull


    Joined: 31 Oct 2006

    Posts: 9,659

    Location: Eastleigh / Winchester

    Do your CBT and you can ride the 50cc with L plates on, you will need to do theory and Test to ride with no L plates.
  5. daz


    Joined: 18 Oct 2002

    Posts: 24,019

    Location: Bucks

    If you're 17+, why not get a 125cc?

    It will feel more substantial and IMO be safer than riding a woefully underpowered 50cc. Can still ride one with a CBT + L plates so long as you are old enough.
  6. McBain


    Joined: 17 Oct 2002

    Posts: 23,641

    Location: Lancs/London

    Not a bad shout Daz, I think I may do just that. Don't fancy doing the Theory again so as long as I don't have too, I may get a 125.

    Thanks guys.
  7. I get around


    Joined: 14 Jan 2009

    Posts: 4,325

    Theory is majorly easy though? It's mostly common sense, the bike theory isn't much different and seeing as you've been driving for a while it should present as easy to pass.

    As far as I know on a CBT you'll just get asked a couple of questions out of something like 14 you have to learn.

    Your provisional entitlement to a 50cc becomes full entitlement as soon as you've done a CBT for the period you hold your licence.
    For anything bigger you'll still need to do a cbt (which will last 2 years) and have L plates on etc.
    Last edited: 14 Mar 2010