Morals aside...

Associate
Scene 3 - Job Centre
Pauline greets her Jobseekers and does an exercise in confidence with Mickey involving analogies about Lucozade.

Excerpt
Pauline: So Ross, take a good look at me...
Ross: Do I have to?
Pauline: Yes. And take a good look at Mickey. What have I got that Mickey hasn't?
Ross: A moustache

Thats my contribution to this thread, but in all honesty big_white_dog84 maybe you should be asking your local job centre :p

Soldato
No you flaming well can't, and a bloody good job too.

Until you've actually contributed something via tax, why should you have any right to claim anything back? That's our tax money you're looking to pilfer.

Either get out of bed and do some work or have no money, simple choice really :D

EDIT: Just seen the bit about the bridging - at least it's not the full dole but I still don't see why you're entitled to anything tbh.

Associate
OP
I have contributed a lot via tax - a hellova lot more than most people my age who left school at 16 and got a dead-end job. You know nothing about me vertigo1. All I want is an answer to my question.

Permabanned
You certainly used to be able to - i claimed unemployment benefit between my a-lavels and starting uni - though that was over 10 years ago.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure you can, and you might not even need to lie about having a job lined up, but I probably wouldn't risk it.

I love the high and mightyness on here. I mean, the guy's got a proper graduate job lined up and everything, something that will no doubt pay back most of what he's claimed within a few months of being there, and yet heaven forbid he claime for some kind of unemployment benefit while he's actually unemployed, instead of spending a month looking for a rubbish job, no doubt lying to them about how long he'll be working for them (very few places like it when you tell them you'll be gone after a few weeks I find), followed by having to quit soon after starting, meaning he'll get very little money out of it anyway.

Sign on, get covered for the couple of months between work, and enjoy your break. :)

Permabanned
big_white_dog84 said:
If you actually read my post you would see that I am in my final year of University and will be starting a job in September. Loans HAVE been enough, combined with being an Officer in the Royal Naval Reserve and a volunteer with a group of young adults with severe disabilities. Tube. I have also worked all the hours God sent during all my holidays and have built up savings to see me through the academic year.

No offence but you're not suited to be an officer then if you think it's okay to fraudulently claim benefits and stay in bed all day - you might think you have the right but you don't.

Soldato
He has a job lined up and until then he has no income.
He should be entitled to income support.
Why apply for a job that'll last for a month or so and look crap on his CV,
leading future employers to think he can't stick a job :confused:

Really - some people need to step off their pedestal.

Permabanned
big_white_dog84 said:
I have contributed a lot via tax - a hellova lot more than most people my age who left school at 16 and got a dead-end job. You know nothing about me vertigo1. All I want is an answer to my question.

I can answer your question. Can you claim JSA legitimately if you have no intention of working? No you cannot.

Permabanned
InsomniaCalls said:
He has a job lined up and until then he has no income.
He should be entitled to income support.
Why apply for a job that'll last for a month or so and look crap on his CV,
leading future employers to think he can't stick a job :confused:

Really - some people need to step off their pedestal.

He is entitled to JSA, providing he looks for a job and takes one if offered. Income support is for people who cannot work for whatever reason. Also he is not compelled to put down a two month temporary job on his CV.

Soldato
He can actually sign onto the dole as "he has just been made un-employed from full time education" I know a lot of people who did arts degrees do this while the look for something worth while to their talents.

I would suggest just get a bar job in a trendy pub and try to hit on random girls.

KaHn

Permabanned
KaHn said:
He can actually sign onto the dole as "he has just been made un-employed from full time education" I know a lot of people who did arts degrees do this while the look for something worth while to their talents.

I did say he can sign on. But he needs to seek and be available for work.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
I did say he can sign on. But he needs to seek and be available for work.

Sorry dirty, i missed a lot of your posts as I was annoyed at the narrowmindedness(sp?) of vertigo and skipped most of the "I work hard you student bum why dont you get a job" posts :)

KaHn

Soldato
dirtydog said:
He is entitled to JSA, providing he looks for a job and takes one if offered.

Fair play but obviously he has to make it known that he'll be leaving his post for another job almost immediately.
I don't know too many employers who would bother with the expense of training someone for them to leave the next month.

I say apply for JSA and make sure you're frank and honest in your interviews.
If you get a job for a month and the employer is happy with that then you work. If not, then you've had some cash to tide you over.

Permabanned
InsomniaCalls said:
Fair play but obviously he has to make it known that he'll be leaving his post for another job almost immediately.
I don't know too many employers who would bother with the expense of training someone for them to leave the next month.

Absolutely, he wouldn't be hired for a 'proper' job but there are temporary and short term labouring jobs available, and if he signs on for JSA he may find that the Jobcentre sends him for one.

I say apply for JSA and make sure you're frank and honest in your interviews.
If you get a job for a month and the employer is happy with that then you work. If not, then you've had some cash to tide you over.

Agreed.

Associate
OP
dirtydog said:
No offence but you're not suited to be an officer then if you think it's okay to fraudulently claim benefits and stay in bed all day - you might think you have the right but you don't.

How would you know whether I'm 'suited to be an officer' or not? I think I'm bloody good at it, and my reports and subordinates would agree.

Permabanned
big_white_dog84 said:
How would you know whether I'm 'suited to be an officer' or not? I think I'm bloody good at it, and my reports and subordinates would agree.

My post that you quoted contains the answer to your question.

Soldato
You have no income therefore you are entitled to income support. Are you going to be trying to do any work for the next couple of months though?

It's not like you are intending to sit on your bum for two months before starting to look for a job or anything, and I know plenty of students that have more or less done that...

Back
Top Bottom