More guns, less crime

Associate
OP
T.M. Rapper, would you rather shoot a burglar than have your telly, PC and other stuff nicked?

Or would you rather that no one got hurt, because possessions are just inanimate objects, and you've got insurance anyhow?

I'd rather that the burglar never came because he knew I'd shoot him if he did. Just like my plans to castrate criminals. If you give people a reason not to be criminals they will make informed decisions, and very few people would ever be castrated. Every study ever done has shown criminals involved in things like burglary to be surprisingly rational and calculating.

Soldato
We have a very different culture over here and there is no place for personal protection firearms in it.

If everyone was allowed to carry a gun the country would be a much scarier place. I'm sure everyone can think of a situation where they could say "Oh but if I had a gun I wouldn't have been mugged". Sure, you'd probably have been shot dead, then mugged.

Which is worse :/

We don't have the prison space to lock everyone up that's dangerous.

Soldato
I've been stabbed by a junkie before, if I had a gun I could have shot him and he may have paid the ultimate price for being a piece of filth, not caring whether I live or die, willing to do anything just to get a few quid.

Buy weed, crack, cocaine
Mix all of the above with poison.
Leave in crackhead locations

Soldato
I'd rather that the burglar never came because he knew I'd shoot him if he did. Just like my plans to castrate criminals. If you give people a reason not to be criminals they will make informed decisions, and very few people would ever be castrated. Every study ever done has shown criminals involved in things like burglary to be surprisingly rational and calculating.

Well apply for a firearms certificate and hang a sign on your house.

Guns are legal, people are just lazy to get the appropriate licencing and want to be able to walk in a shop and pick one up like a box of cornflakes.
I don't get it really, people are fine with getting a licence to drive a car, to fish, to watch tv. But as soon as gun ownership comes in no one can be bothered.

I've been stabbed by a junkie before, if I had a gun I could have shot him and he may have paid the ultimate price for being a piece of filth, not caring whether I live or die, willing to do anything just to get a few quid.

I've been stabbed, i'd rather be stabbed than shot though. It's all well and fine saying "If i'd had a gun" but chances are, they would have also had a gun and shot you instead if firearms were uncontrolled.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It seems today that the bird is the word (sorry :()

I was listening to the PM's comments on the whole "Why did he have a gun?" and Gun control issue, one of the "experts" they had interviewed said that gun licenses are strict in the UK but to me the way he described the process that leads to a successful application didn't seem that strict?

They check your medical records, contact your doctor, check criminal records and you must have a valid reason for the application (farmland protection, shooting range or whatever).

By that reasoning almost anyone who is a sensible citizen with no criminal record or medical condition could own a gun license as long as they can show they have a reason to no?

Edit*
I don't like guns in the hands of the general public, it's too risky.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, burglaries would still happen (but they'd certainly reduce) and gun crime may rise but it would not be anarchy.

If you want to go postal and kill 20 people before killing yourself like some fruit loops do, you're going to be able to do it in a thousand different ways without going anywhere near a gun.

Criminals can get guns, people can go mental, we can't fight back.

most burglers wait till (they think) the home owner is out, so its not going to stop them.

a thousand different ways to kill 20 people? its not easy to make a bomb thats one way... a cross bow (but much slower to reload than a gun), a car but you would have to be very very careful with your target if poeple see a car speeding towards them they will move out of the way..

if you were thinking any sort of weapon you have to weild you will soon get overpowered..

how often have has someone been killed in their own home by an intruder, and how many accidental shooting do you think there will be if we let the average idiot have a gun?

Don
Looking at the events of yesterday, it's possible he could have been stopped by armed civilians, indeed it's probable, if the laws were right.

I've not commented at all in the other thread, as I felt that thread wasn't the place for it..

But having loads of middle aged men with shotguns, running around trying to hunt down a middle aged gun with a shotgun is not going to end well!

Soldato
I think your time in the military has given you a unique view of the world.

Here on civvie street, we can't just go around shooting people to solve our problems.

we do shoot people by proxy... we wanted to get the oil in iraq (or what ever the reason was) so the government who were elected by the people sent our army there to kill the enemy...

the army did not decide to go kill people over there for fun...

now sadam is gone and we are killing all the taliban our country is a much safer place...................................

Associate
most burglers wait till (they think) the home owner is out, so its not going to stop them.

a thousand different ways to kill 20 people? its not easy to make a bomb thats one way... a cross bow (but much slower to reload than a gun), a car but you would have to be very very careful with your target if poeple see a car speeding towards them they will move out of the way..

if you were thinking any sort of weapon you have to weild you will soon get overpowered..

how often have has someone been killed in their own home by an intruder, and how many accidental shooting do you think there will be if we let the average idiot have a gun?

I didn't say gun ownership would prevent all burglaries, but they would reduce them substantially. It would certainly increase the chances of a burglar wanting to do it when you are out, which in my mind is far better than them doing it when I'm here, even if it's still highly unacceptable.

As for your final line about an average idiot having a gun. Nowhere did any of us legal gun ownership supporters said a single word about idiots being able to get legal guns. Obviously the requirements for getting a gun would be strict, the guns (and ammunition) would need to be traceable. It is possible to legally own firearms in this country right now, but the rules are strict and the application process is tough. No idiot is going to get anywhere near a gun under a sane legal gun ownership scheme.

This is the trouble with the Guardian folk, they automatically think legal guns means them being sold in Tesco alongside alchohol so that everyone can buy them and subsequently run around in the street waving them at everyone who looks at them funny.

ntg

ntg

Associate
So now you've escalated from a burglar to a murderer. Most burglars aren't up for such high stakes, they burgle because it's a largely penalty free crime. Even if they get caught they don't go to prison and even if they get caught 10 times they get released early.

They aren't pre-meditated murderers, they are mostly opportunists and opportunists are not going to burgle someone who might have a gun, even if they have a gun themselves.

why do people think that burglars or other petty criminals will be deterred by you/I having a gun? They will just bring their own gun as well. Is there a link between gun ownership and dropping rates of burglaries/muggings? I haven't seen any such link/statistic anywhere yet.

Junkies are violent/out of control people and their crimes can escalate dramatically. All the more reason for the law abiding public to have the means to defend themselves. I've been stabbed by a junkie before, if I had a gun I could have shot him and he may have paid the ultimate price for being a piece of filth, not caring whether I live or die, willing to do anything just to get a few quid.
Exactly my point, if guns were freely available to purchase and own that junkie would have shot you dead without a second thought - now you have a second chance to live. What do you think if junkies/chavs/retards get the opportunity to own a gun? Legal abiding citizens will not have more protection simply because altercations and attacks are too sudden or based on the surprise factor for you to react (i.e. a person comes behind you and puts a gun on your back, what do you do? by the time you make a move to reach for your weapon he has shot you dead already).

There is no respect in this country anymore, gun ownership commands respect. People talk crap and behave like morons towards one another because they feel that no one can do anything about it. Threatening behaviour, assaults and pointless murders occur because the perpetrators have no fear of being hurt, they have no fear of being caught.

A gun would have saved me the anguish of some serious crimes being committed against me. I bet millions of others could say the same thing.

I don't think weapons command respect at all. Idiots will be idiots and they won't take notice of you carrying a weapon simply because they are idiots. Especially criminally idiotic people are prime cases of weapon abuse and pointless killing (i.e. USA style drive-by's with innocent bystanders getting shot down, gangland killings escalating etc etc). If you think teenage gun murders are high now in London imagine what it would be like if all those trash had access to guns, seriously..

Access to guns would have - likely - resulted you in being dead, or at least increased those probabilities much more than at present.

Suspended
we do shoot people by proxy... we wanted to get the oil in iraq (or what ever the reason was) so the government who were elected by the people sent our army there to kill the enemy...

now sadam is gone and we are killing all the taliban our country is a much safer place...................................

Yes, this is true - war is just state sanctioned murder.

Suspended

Man of Honour
Why does that surprise you? It appears to be a perfectly reasonable situation to me.

I never said I was surprised by that?

I hinted at the fact that people like the PM are saying we have very strict gun control rules but it's actually not that hard to apply and get a license unless I've heard wrong on the news!

It' harder to get a driving license these days :p

Japan on the other hand has excellent gun control!

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/lawrev/japanese_gun_control.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom