More guns, less crime

Soldato
Japan on the other hand has excellent gun control!

http://www.davekopel.com/2a/lawrev/japanese_gun_control.htm

Yea brilliant would be great if the police here had these kind of powers

Even if the confiscation is later admitted to be an error, the firearm is sometimes not returned.

In practice, the special law for weapons searches is not necessary, since the police routinely search at will. They ask suspicious characters to show them what is in their purse or sack.[34] In the rare cases where a policeman's search (for a gun or any other contraband) is ruled illegal, it hardly matters; the Japanese courts permit the use of illegally seized evidence.

or example, the nation's official year-end police report includes statistics like 'Background and Motives for Girls' Sexual Misconduct'.

Criminal defense lawyers are the only people allowed to visit a suspect in custody, and those meetings are strictly limited. In the months while a suspect is held prisoner, the defense counsel may see his or her client for one to five meetings lasting about 15 minutes each. Even that access will be denied if it hampers the police investigation. While under detention, suspects can be interrogated 12 hours a day, allowed to bathe only every fifth day, and may be prohibited from standing up, lying down, or leaning against the wall of their jail cells

Thats as far as i could be bothered to read

Associate
why do people think that burglars or other petty criminals will be deterred by you/I having a gun? They will just bring their own gun as well. Is there a link between gun ownership and dropping rates of burglaries/muggings? I haven't seen any such link/statistic anywhere yet.

Many burglars are opportunists, they are not going to carry around a gun on the offchance they feel they can rob a place. So that group is already deterred majorly by gun ownership. Those that will buy guns to come in all guns blazing because I might have a gun are the kind of psychopaths who would have been coming in with a nasty weapon of some kind already. So we go from them having nasty weapon vs. me without one, to them having a nasty weapon (*maybe* a gun) and me having a gun. That looks like a great equaliser to me.

Can't you see it's better if the victim has the gun?

Not all burglars are suddenly going to buy guns if legal gun ownership comes along. Even those that do know they might not get away alive and they certainly aren't all going to escalate to pre-meditated murder for every house they burgle on the offchance that the owner may have a gun.

Exactly my point, if guns were freely available to purchase and own that junkie would have shot you dead without a second thought - now you have a second chance to live. What do you think if junkies/chavs/retards get the opportunity to own a gun? Legal abiding citizens will not have more protection simply because altercations and attacks are too sudden or based on the surprise factor for you to react (i.e. a person comes behind you and puts a gun on your back, what do you do? by the time you make a move to reach for your weapon he has shot you dead already).

Would he have shot me dead? Who knows?

Would have even been alive to commit that crime, he might have died at the hands of someone else? He might have thought twice about doing anything to me if he thought I had a gun.

Again, not everyone is going to suddenly escalate into a pre-meditated murderer for the sake of a few quid, for you to think they will is ludicrous.

He was an opportunist and felt he could get away with it, he felt he had an advantage over me because he had a knife, he was right.

Would he have done the same if I had a gun? I doubt it, since he no longer has an advantage aside from trying to kill me immediately. But then if he does that he's going to get locked up pretty bloody fast, if not shot dead by any witnesses who may have guns themselves.

These criminals can already have guns, they already carry weapons and they already use violence. The only difference is that we cannot defend ourselves on the same level. Guns are the ultimate equaliser, no longer are you vulnerable because you're frail or in a wheelchair.

I don't think weapons command respect at all. Idiots will be idiots and they won't take notice of you carrying a weapon simply because they are idiots. Especially criminally idiotic people are prime cases of weapon abuse and pointless killing (i.e. USA style drive-by's with innocent bystanders getting shot down, gangland killings escalating etc etc). If you think teenage gun murders are high now in London imagine what it would be like if all those trash had access to guns, seriously..

Access to guns would have - likely - resulted you in being dead, or at least increased those probabilities much more than at present.

Yes, idiots will be idiots, psychos will be psychos. But they aren't going to last very long in a world of legal gun owners are they?

USA drive by's and other gangland killings are perpetrated by a long lost youth/society that are far, far away from anything we really have here.

The trash already have access to guns, they already have access to weapons and worst of all, they know they can get away with using them.

If you put guns in the hands of law abiding people, suddenly these morons will start getting shot, they'll start realising they are no longer invulnerable, they can be caught, they can be punished, they can even be killed.

Soldato
Questionable sideline laws aside the actual gun control laws keep gun/knife crime an all time low.

Did you not read the bit about Japanese individuals being effectively subordinate to the government? Or indeed anything on the culture...

I'm not sure why you'd want that, or indeed why the state should retain a monopoly on violent force.

Soldato
If there was a CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) system in operation in this country, I'd have no quarrel with spending my hand earned cash to buy a nice handgun, and carry it on my person.

Associate
OP
Well apply for a firearms certificate and hang a sign on your house.

Guns are legal, people are just lazy to get the appropriate licencing and want to be able to walk in a shop and pick one up like a box of cornflakes.
I don't get it really, people are fine with getting a licence to drive a car, to fish, to watch tv. But as soon as gun ownership comes in no one can be bothered.

We have a few shotguns and a rifle. But by law they have to be kept in a gun cabinet that is locked and fastened to the wall. So not much use in a burglary really.

Soldato
I would very much like a gun and am considering getting my shotgun licence.

I believe America is too far gone for gun control to work without a lot of effort and it would likely get worse before it got better. However it is proven to work in the UK 99% of the time (unlike drugs being illegal) without much infringement of freedom. (not really that many uses for a gun really)

As much as I wish I could defend myself I don't want all the idiots you see with knives with guns either!

Probably for the best that they are illegal. But I want a Desert Eagle or a Glock really bad. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom