More than one set of Powerline Adapters on same circuit?

Associate
Hi all,

Need some advice for a friend.

Situation:

Current network setup:
- PC 2 floors above router connects via powerline adapters (via ethernet).
- PS4 1 floor above router connects through wifi but signal not so great.

Query: He wants to put the PS4 on a powerline adapter setup as well. Will there be a massive impact on data flow having two nodes connecting via powerline adapters on the same electrical circuit?

And, is it best to use the same branded powerline adapters or stick to two different brands if this matters?

NOTE: Connecting via ethernet is not an option as cannot install cables.

Many thanks for advice.

Soldato
It's shared bandwidth so there will be an impact if both of them are communicating at the same time.

You'll want an adapter at the router, one at the PS4, and another at the PC. You generally don't want two separate pairs of adapters.

I'd worry about matching adapter technology/speed more than matching the manufacturer.

Associate
OP
Cheers for that. PC is already connected via powerline already so the router has a passthrough one near it already but only with one ethernet port.

Do you have an idea about how much impact in terms of bandwidth or is there anywhere online you know of who have some data on this? If not, do not worry :)

I'll assume it'll be similar to wireless bandwidth usage and QoS.

Soldato
the router has a passthrough one near it already but only with one ethernet port.
At the router you want one adapter with a single Ethernet connection. If you have multiple connections between the router and the Powerline network there's a good chance you'll create a loop and everything will grind to a halt.

I wouldn't have thought a PS4 would use much bandwidth whilst gaming.

Do you know how much bandwidth there's available in the first place (it'll be a lot less than the headline speed of the adapters)?

Associate
OP
At the router you want one adapter with a single Ethernet connection. If you have multiple connections between the router and the Powerline network there's a good chance you'll create a loop and everything will grind to a halt.

In this instance is it best to stick to using another BT powerline adapter on the PS4 end? He is using a BT powerline adapter kit already.

Do you know how much bandwidth there's available in the first place (it'll be a lot less than the headline speed of the adapters)?

All I know currently from him is that he gets 23mb down, cannot remember his up. He has no issues on this PC connection (2 floors up from router via powerline adapter).

I have no clue on the PS4. I shall ask him next time I speak with him.

Soldato
I do this, I have a TP Link passthru at my router and 2 other TP links (these have 3 ports on each) in other rooms, work fine with my NAS, PC, Xbox, PS4 and Blu-Ray player, I got sick of Wifi dropping

Back
Top Bottom